• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Difficulty - Norte from Gijon to SDC

StumpyDave

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte to Primitivo 7/22. Finistère/Muxia 8/22.
Hello,
Last summer I did the Norte to Primitivo and found it very challenging and rewarding. This summer, I will be finishing the Norte from Gijon to Santiago, however, I will have my father with me (75 years old but in really great shape.)
My concern is that (I thought) the way from Gijon to SDC was relatively easy compared to the first part of the Norte (Irun to Bilbao.) But when I look at the profile, Gijon to La Caridad looks tame, but from there to SDC looks even harder than the start of the Norte! While I feel my dad could do it, we're looking for an adventure together, not a grueling physical test. Can anyone offer some insight as to the difficulty of that part of the Norte and if we should consider a different route? Thanks in advance!
1690992500056.png

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I felt like the Frances route was quite doable from a physical exertion perspective, fwiw. Because I didn't have the time like I would have liked, I did a number of 40km days (first 30kms were great...last 10kms took a toll on the feet)

As I remember it, the first stage was physical (but my favorite day), Astorga to el Acebo (Cruz de Ferro day) was great (2nd favorite day), but a challenge, and then the climb to O Cebreiro (3rd favorite day) was a good one.

There was one steep climb (brief as it was) out of Sarria.

Good luck and Buen Camino to you both

Hello,
Last summer I did the Norte to Primitivo and found it very challenging and rewarding. This summer, I will be finishing the Norte from Gijon to Santiago, however, I will have my father with me (75 years old but in really great shape.)
My concern is that (I thought) the way from Gijon to SDC was relatively easy compared to the first part of the Norte (Irun to Bilbao.) But when I look at the profile, Gijon to La Caridad looks tame, but from there to SDC looks even harder than the start of the Norte! While I feel my dad could do it, we're looking for an adventure together, not a grueling physical test. Can anyone offer some insight as to the difficulty of that part of the Norte and if we should consider a different route? Thanks in advance!
View attachment 153841
I understand your concern. Except that I’m the 70ish guy and walked Irun to Santander with my son previously. I pickup the Norte trail early this September and have looked at some of the challenges. I’m dealing with my trepidation by packing more weights into my pack and walking every day.

My feeling is that sweating on the Camino, no matter how hard, is a lot better than cutting the lawn and staring at the neighbors. 🤗

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I understand your concern. Except that I’m the 70ish guy and walked Irun to Santander with my son previously. I pickup the Norte trail early this September and have looked at some of the challenges. I’m dealing with my trepidation by packing more weights into my pack and walking every day.

My feeling is that sweating on the Camino, no matter how hard, is a lot better than cutting the lawn and staring at the neighbors. 🤗

Buen Camino
I hear ya, thanks for the reply. Are you continuing from Santander? Solo or with your son?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
These elevation charts look more difficult than they are. Your toughest bit will be the climb out of Mondonedo which has parts around 15% steep and an average of 6%. Assume SW are organising the transport of the packs. If not Correos will do it if you need it.

Ask at the cafe opposite the church in Mondonedo for the number of a local taxi company as back-up. You'll likely not need it.

There's also a good hillwalking store next to the cafe in case you need extra gear.

These elevation charts look more difficult than they are. Your toughest bit will be the climb out of Mondonedo which has parts around 15% steep and an average of 6%. Assume SW are organising the transport of the packs. If not Correos will do it if you need it.

Ask at the cafe opposite the church in Mondonedo for the number of a local taxi company as back-up. You'll likely not need it.

There's also a good hillwalking store next to the cafe in case you need extra gear.
Yep, just did this section yesterday in the rain and absolutely agree. It wasn't hard just long.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello,
View attachment 153841
That is the most challenging on the last half of the Norte, but it can be done in divided stages. There’s less road walking, which should help. Exercise ordinary caution and you should be fine. From Vilalba, it’s just long, not as much up and down. Go for it. Age is a number.

I'm doing this section after filling in a missed 142 km gap from San Vicente Da Barquera to Gijon. from there I will continue to SDC.

I leave SVDB on Aug 31 and Gijon on Sept 9 thru 11. If that fits within your time frame I too am a litte ancient at 84 years on Nov 7th. and would enjoy company, as I am a little slow nowadays. Hiking that is.

For the first time in 8 Caminos will be having my mochilla transported by Correos. I plan for around 14 kms daily so be able to stop and smell the roses.

Attached is a PDF of my tentative schedule with locations distances and possible lodging selections. All subject to daily changes of course. Using Corrios for bag transfer can be a little limiting to choice of lodgings to which they will deliver.

There is a post from me here relative to this: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ceed-try-try-again-and-again-and-again.81529/

All the best, Old Hillwalker

Attachments

• Trip Database1.pdf
    436.3 KB · Views: 30
I walked from Bilbao to Santiago when I was 70 (with my backpack). I did not find it difficult. There was one long but not very steep hill. No mountains to climb. Just take your time and it will likely be fine. Good luck.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello,
View attachment 153841
That elevation profile is meaningless without a vertical scale. I would consider the profiles published on https://www.gronze.com/camino-norte though even there the scales are quite distorted because of the variation in horizontal and vertical scales.

I last walked that section of the del Norte in 2019, also at age 75. I thought I was in good shape but not great shape. Except for the strong winds and heavy rain in late October, early November that year, I found it delightful. Buen Camino to you and your father.

You should also consider there seems to be many variations on the Norte. More scenic, the mountain route, no asphalt etc. There could be opportunities to have some easy walking days versus more “rewarding “ days.

Though “rewarding” variations are also an excuse for more wet rewards at the end of the day.

@Dave and @peregrina2000 are good sources for trail alternatives.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello,
View attachment 153841
Hello,
This elevation profile looks strange. It shows Irun to San Sebastián as if there is no elevation change. Not sure which route you took on that first day but mine took me up to about 400m. So I wouldn’t read too much into it.
I agree with others on this thread, find the right pace, you and your fit dad will be fine. I walked the Norte and Primitivo last year and loved it. I’m a fit-ish 71.
Buen Camino!

As Joe Macky says, your elevation profile looks strange. I walked the Norte at 70 (13 years ago) and do not remember any difficult parts. If your father is in good shape as you say he should not have any problems.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm doing this section after filling in a missed 142 km gap from San Vicente Da Barquera to Gijon. from there I will continue to SDC.

I leave SVDB on Aug 31 and Gijon on Sept 9 thru 11. If that fits within your time frame I too am a litte ancient at 84 years on Nov 7th. and would enjoy company, as I am a little slow nowadays. Hiking that is.

For the first time in 8 Caminos will be having my mochilla transported by Correos. I plan for around 14 kms daily so be able to stop and smell the roses.

Attached is a PDF of my tentative schedule with locations distances and possible lodging selections. All subject to daily changes of course. Using Corrios for bag transfer can be a little limiting to choice of lodgings to which they will deliver.

There is a post from me here relative to this: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ceed-try-try-again-and-again-and-again.81529/

All the best, Old Hillwalker
I appreciate the invite. We’d join you but we’ll be there from August 15-September 4. All the best to you and Buen Camino!

I last walked that section of the del Norte in 2019, also at age 75. I thought I was in good shape but not great shape. Except for the strong winds and heavy rain in late October, early November that year, I found it delightful. Buen Camino to you and your father.
Very good to know. Thank you 😊

Hello,
This elevation profile looks strange. It shows Irun to San Sebastián as if there is no elevation change. Not sure which route you took on that first day but mine took me up to about 400m. So I wouldn’t read too much into it.
I agree with others on this thread, find the right pace, you and your fit dad will be fine. I walked the Norte and Primitivo last year and loved it. I’m a fit-ish 71.
Buen Camino!
Yeah, I did the purgatory route from Irun to San Sebastián last year. That’s why this elevation profile really confused me. I think I just need to find a better one and listen to the good advice and experience on this thread. Thanks for the advice and help!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello,
View attachment 153841
I'm the same age and hiked the Norte last June. I took my time (37 hiking days), and without a backpack. With poles it wasn't too difficult, but, I had JUST gotten over Covid, so the first part was extremely difficult. With a backpack, it would have been very, very difficult for me. I also lost the path a few times and hiked a lot of asphalt. The second part is easy compared to the first part. Hope that helps and Buen Camino.

I'm the same age and hiked the Norte last June. I took my time (37 hiking days), and without a backpack. With poles it wasn't too difficult, but, I had JUST gotten over Covid, so the first part was extremely difficult. With a backpack, it would have been very, very difficult for me. I also lost the path a few times and hiked a lot of asphalt. The second part is easy compared to the first part. Hope that helps and Buen Camino.
That helps a lot, thank you very much :)

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.