• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dimensions of Camino Passport

dalessandrodd

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned Camino Frances in May 2023
We are going to start walking the Camino Frances in early May, and we are looking to buy a fanny pack that can hold on to our passport to have easy access when stopping in to get a stamp checking into Aurberges. I understand the Passport might be large, so please can anyone tell us what the dimensions of the passport is? Thank you for all your help!
Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We are going to start walking the Camino Frances in early May, and we are looking to buy a fanny pack that can hold on to our passport to have easy access when stopping in to get a stamp checking into Aurberges. I understand the Passport might be large, so please can anyone tell us what the dimensions of the passport is? Thank you for all your help!
Buen Camino.
It depends on where you get your credential - there is no standard size, but most are about 4"x6"/10x15cm

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Buen Camino.
The Camino Credential is similar in size/shape to my US passport. Not the exact size - but similar. Just get a bag that can hold something slightly larger than your passport and you should be fine. Can't give you exact dimensions though as there are a couple different credentials.

My credential from American Pilgrims (it says Revised 2017 on the back) is one eighth inch wider than my U.S. Passport and is one and one eights inches longer.

The credential from the Pilgrim's Office in SAINT-JEAN-PIED-DE-PORT (Les Amis du Chemin de Saint-Jacques Pyrénées-Atlantiques) is one half inch wider than my U.S. Passport and is two inches longer.

All three together exactly fit into my Rick Steves money belt!

Buen Camino!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I recommend that you keep the credencial in a clear plastic bag with a seal (not necessarily a Ziploc). Perhaps you'd already thought of doing that. You will only need your credencial twice each day, but you may wish to get more sellos on the way. The plastic bag will keep the credencial clean and dry while it's in your fanny-pack. If you refer to it as your credencial, you will avoid confusing it with your actual passport.

100% wasserdicht! Ha. This post comes right when I needed it. Cool stuff, and they know how to market it -- showing the things for each size that we would want to keep dry. Hmm, doesn't seem to ship to USA. I can work on that.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you are from the US, you can order one from American Pilgrims on the Camino. They personalize it by printing your name inside.
What a great idea. If you are not from the U.S. are there other places that offer the same service do you know?

If you have some kind of country organization for the Camino, you can check with that organization. I have also heard others say they buy one or two extras before they leave Spain to have for next time or to give to a friend who may be walking.

Edit: Do you know someone who has walked before that may have an extra? If not get one when you arrive and begin your Camino. If there is not an office, you can keep your "cellos" on a folded piece of paper until you find an albergue where they are for sale.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I will second the suggestion of keeping your credentials in a plastic bag in the fanny pack. I saw many folks with water ruined credentials.

I've got my credentials already for my flight from NZ next Tuesday. I brought a camino guide book on the camino forum store, and a credential came with the book, with its own plastic storage.

The Camino Credential is similar in size/shape to my US passport. Not the exact size - but similar. Just get a bag that can hold something slightly larger than your passport and you should be fine. Can't give you exact dimensions though as there are a couple different credentials.
Most of the ones I stamped as hospitalero were longer and narrower than a passport.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Buen Camino.
My credential from American Pilgrims fits inside my Patagonia Fanny pack. But I still keep it inside a plastic bag. My friend didn’t and it got soggy!

Buen Camino.
It folds. Mine, folded, have always been similar in size to my passport. It fits well into a zip top sandwich bag.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.