• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Distance between Le Puy and Pamplona?

Portia1

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2009, Portuguese 2012
Frances 2016, 2019
The Camino is calling me again. I am thinking about Le Puy to Pamplona at least (since I have already walked from St. Jean to Santiago) and haven't found any specific information to tell me the distance and probably sections. Any information or resources would be greatly appreciated.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have walked Le Puy to Pamplona in August 2012 when I was 62. I started out with Rupps guide but found it too wordy and the maps werent detailed enough. So I picked up Miam Miam Do Do at Cathederal store in Le puy and the small Michelins guide (6E) in Aubrac. That was all that I needed. The Michelin provided the important topography. Probably my favourite place to stay was at The Alchemist in Naveranx about 5 days from the Spanish border. It was by donation and they provided a beautiful meal and spiritually you could not beat it. A fantastic welcoming gite. Also there is a gite on the Saint Jean side of Ostabat, about 2 km on the other side of Ostabat, that was wonderful. It is owned by a couple who are so proud of their Basque heritage singing songs and entertaining at dinner and beautifully clean with a wonderful view out over the valley in the foothills of the Pyrenees. In Aubrac, the tower de Anglais is a great place to stay at only 6Euro with lots of atmosphere. August is hot but doable, only one day of rain. I brought a tent and camped out 15 of the 34 days to Pamplona. The campgrounds in France are beautiful and many gites also let me put my tent up. The only thing that i would have done differently is not stop at Pamplona. I took the train from Pamplona to Santiago and walked up the coast to Muxia. It was not a good thing to train into Santiago. I should have continued walking past Pamplona or skipped to within 10 days of Santiago so i could walk in like a pilgrim. The other thing was I took the Valcarlos route after St Jean but truly prefer the Pyrenees route that I did in 2009. There is alot of tarmac and at the end of a hot day of walking, you still have to hike up about 900 metres along a powerline. The le Puy route is a beautiful walk and I met so many wonderful people all wanting to help. Enjoy your Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A difficult question to answer for there are many possible detours side trips and must sees along the way. Also the stretch from Le Puy until Figeac is ungulating a quaint expression which does not begin to explain the meaning of the terrain, every morning you will be greeted with a stiff climb every evening you will finish with a steep descent before climbing out again that next morning. Also be forewarned, many stretches have no connection for your cell phone topography strikes again. MMD and the small Michelein handbook are both readily available in Le Puy you will not need anything else. Only the MMD contains the Cele Valley and Bonneval cistercian abbey detours both highly recommended one for the views and one for the chocolate! Also consider a rest day in Figeac and use it take the train to Rocamadour an enchanting church compound 60 kilometers off the chemin. Taken together these ideas will play havoc with a time schedule and will make kilometer countin a lost cause.
Bon Chemin.
PS No yellow arrows in France the chemin is marked by a red and white double stripe.

Portia1 said:
I am thinking about Le Puy to Pamplona at least (since I have already walked from St. Jean to Santiago) and haven't found any specific information to tell me the distance and probably sections. Any information or resources would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure anyone actually answered your question about the distance from Le Puy to Pamplona. There are alternate routes you can take in some of the sections so nobody will likely walk the *exact* same route, but I recorded 806.4 kilometers from Le Puy to Pamplona. Your mileage may vary, but about 800 kilometers--give or take.

I'll agree with everyone else--the Miam Miam Dodo book is indispensable. Other guidebooks.... take what you like, but the trail is perfectly doable with nothing more than the Miam Miam Dodo book.

-- Ryan

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone! Well.. one week from today will begin my walk across France and Spain. I see a number of posts regarding a wave of walkers and room accommodation limitations. I am one who is...
Hi. Here's a problem to which I can't find a solution. Any suggestions gratefully received! Last October I walked from Le Puy to Conques, but had to return home due to a family crisis. I'm very...
Hi- I am starting the Via Podiensis Camino at the end of the month. I know people swear by the MMDD guide book for this camino but I am not sure why. So far I have been making use of the...
Hi everyone, I’m currently on the GR 65 going from Le Puy to Conques. I walked this camino in 2014 and now I find myself not recognizing a single bit of literally anything and I’m wondering if...
hallo. We have been using La Malle Postale to transfer our luggage each night from Le Puy en Velay. We have bad backs. They have been a great company and very reliable. Unfortunately we have just...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back