• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One week and I start in Le Puy en Valey

clarkandkaren

Time of past OR future Camino
March (2020)
Hello everyone! Well.. one week from today will begin my walk across France and Spain. I see a number of posts regarding a wave of walkers and room accommodation limitations. I am one who is approaching this with ZERO pre-made reservations except for my flight from Lisbon to Lyon next Monday night.
Is there anything of any note-worthiness from anyone who has recently started from Le Puy? I am taking a sleeping bag in the event I cannot find a room but I’m seeing night time temps are..still.. quite low!!!! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You will be arriving Lyon on Tuesday May 7. May 8 is a national holiday in France (V-E Day). Try to book a room -- any room -- in Le Puy for 7th or 8th. If you can't, stay over in Lyon (a wonderful place with lots of accommodations, great food, and things to see), which will help your jet lag adjustment anyhow. Then go on to Le Puy on 9th. The French walkers favor the long weekends created by their major holidays on May 1, May 8, and Whitsuntide (May 19 in 2024), so you may have great difficulty finding a bed. It's not to late to make reservations for the first 7-10 days (as far as Conques, anyhow). This is high season on the Le Puy! And for demi-pension (the most common form of lodging on the Le Puy route), you definitely need to call at least one day in advance, so they know how many meals to prepare. Bon Chemin!

The posts you see about waves of walkers are all about Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, which is weeks of walking away from Le Puy. So you won't need to worry about those posts specifically.

However.
It is far more common on the Le Puy route to prebook than it is on the caminos in Spain.
Since the GR65 is also frequently used by non-pilgrims it has less (or maybe no?) pilgrim infrastructure. You'll mostly be staying in the same accomodations that non-pilgrim walkers use -- and they generally book in advance.

In addition, coming Wednesday (May 1st) and the next Wednesday (May 8th) are public holidays in France, and a lot of French people use that opportunity for a week or weekend of walking. I imagine even Le Puy will be busier this weekend than normal.

Maybe it would be good for your own peace of mind to at least book your first night at Le Puy?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you can, I would book a bed/room at the old Seminary, just a block from Le Puy Cathedral, in light of the bank holiday.
There is (or was in 2019) a soiree each afternoon, in the local pilgrim association room - again very near the cathedral - for pilgrims to meet each other and take advice from the members of the local association, all over a glass of wine. They will advise you how busy it is and whether you need to book accommodation a day or more ahead.
The early morning pilgrim mass in the cathedral is also highly recommended.
Most accommodation is half pension, so hosts do appreciate you calling ahead (even if it's just on the same day), so they may prepare enough food.
It's a lovely trail. Do enjoy!

I'd definitely recommend booking a few days ahead. The GR65 will be busy at this time of year, at least from Le Puys to Conques. I'm travelling to Le Puy next Wednesday and have booked ahead. If you're on Facebook, I strongly recommend the group 'GR65 Via Podiensis : walking the Le Puy route in France' which has a wealth of up-to-date information. There's also a link to a Google doc with accommodation, compiled by Dave Whitson (who wrote the Cicerone guide).

Hello everyone! Well.. one week from today will begin my walk across France and Spain. I see a number of posts regarding a wave of walkers and room accommodation limitations. I am one who is approaching this with ZERO pre-made reservations except for my flight from Lisbon to Lyon next Monday night.
Is there anything of any note-worthiness from anyone who has recently started from Le Puy? I am taking a sleeping bag in the event I cannot find a room but I’m seeing night time temps are..still.. quite low!!!! Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Hi, sorry nothing to offer other than hope to see you along the route.
I will be starting from Le puy next Friday. I have walked several routes and have never booked more than one day ahead. safe journey. Regards

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you can, I would book a bed/room at the old Seminary, just a block from Le Puy Cathedral, in light of the bank holiday.
There is (or was in 2019) a soiree each afternoon, in the local pilgrim association room - again very near the cathedral - for pilgrims to meet each other and take advice from the members of the local association, all over a glass of wine. They will advise you how busy it is and whether you need to book accommodation a day or more ahead.
The early morning pilgrim mass in the cathedral is also highly recommended.
Most accommodation is half pension, so hosts do appreciate you calling ahead (even if it's just on the same day), so they may prepare enough food.
It's a lovely trail. Do enjoy!
Thank you! I am not looking for anything above a place to lay my head at night…The cathedral sounds perfect. I will try to find it tonight or .. something close to it!

Just a further note: France is 30 or 40% more expensive for accommodation and food than Portugal or Spain. However, some pilgrims get around this by camping - there are quite a few campsites on or within a couple of kms from the GR65/Voie du Puy. Of course that means carrying camping gear .....

Just a further note: France is 30 or 40% more expensive for accommodation and food than Portugal or Spain. However, some pilgrims get around this by camping - there are quite a few campsites on or within a couple of kms from the GR65/Voie du Puy. Of course that means carrying camping gear .....
Thanks! Other than a sleeping bag I’ve tried to avoid a tent and the other…weighty items. I’ll see what develops as I go. Thanks!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@clarkandkaren , I'm still researching this ( for next year), so if you would be kind enough to post of your experience - perhaps even just a short summary at the end of your trip - it would be much appreciated.

Bon chemin!

Hope you post more as you start walking! I will be starting this Camino at the end of May.

Most read last week in this forum

I am very interested in walking from Le Puy to St. Jean in July. I've completed several other Caminos, so I am afraid I'm a little too casual with my prep for this one. I going to spend the next...
Hi, newish pilgrim here, 20, Irish, I completed the Ingles last year and absolutely loved it, and am now setting off on le Chemin du Puy + el Camino Frances on Wednesday. I need to receive a...
Hi, Can anybody recommend a Gite in Gramat? There seem to be a good number of places to stay, but I would like something near the GR if that's possible. A place oriented toward walkers would be...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back