A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

do i need a thermarest ?

I started last year in mid-August in SJPdP. I got a bed every time even if I arrived late in the afternoon in the albergue. So my personal opinion is that a thermarest is not necessary.

But just for the case I will take a sleeping pad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Mattress.jpg) with me. It is not as comfortable as a thermarest but it has less weight. But I'm quite sure that this time it will be also totally unnecessary.

omar504

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016,2017,2018
Last year from Le Puy to SDC I met many people who had thermarests-I never saw anbody use them. This year on the VDLP of the few people I met many had them, no body used them but did have problems when it rained because their poncho/backpack cover could not accommodate the thermarest. Remember the mantra "if in doubt leave it out"

ksam

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese '08, Frances '11, del Norte '14, Invierno '16, Ingles '17, Primitivo October 2018
Was the only thing I totally ditched in May!! Mailed a few items home...but the sleeping pad...Bye Bye...just left it in Redondela!! Omar is totally correct...when in doubt...leave it out cause finding the Correo to mail it home can be time consuming! Best of Luck, and Buen Camino, Karin

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 114 14.5%
  • May

Votes: 191 24.3%