• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do they live up to the name

CWBuff

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances & Finisterre 05-07/22 Fran 26? d Nort 27?
Iowa Camino Hiking boots

So... I saw couple of previous posts that mention Iowa boots, IIRC there was only 1 short blurb about "Camino" model
first of... REALLY? Camino? :rolleyes: But then....
second of.... $325.00 (at least in REI) REALLY? :eek:

Thus my questions are:
Does anyone have an experience with these boots and this model? (Please, if not - there are enough posts on the forum as to what everyone's favorite shoe\boot\sandal is - with all respect due!)​
Does the price justifies the product? That is a lot of tapas and cafe-con-leches! Will they last the training period (I plan to hit the trails in earnest within a month or so and as stated prior - Camino is slotted for May 2021) and the CF?​

Thanks in advance!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't know about those specific boots, but there are threads and threads and threads on boots vs trail runners. My personal opinion is that this year will be my 20th-something Camino and I've worn trail runners on every route with no problems. Unless you are USED to wearing hiking boots, or have weak ankles there is no stretch on the Camino that warrants boots. There is one section coming down from Alto del Perdon that people mention, but I've never had a problem on it. I just watch where I step and I'm perfectly able to avoid loose rock. It's a very short stretch. The REST of the Camino is pretty much flat track with occasional rolling hills.

Hi Annie
Yeah... I am one of those peoples who prefer hiking boots.... and I am actually somewhat 'mellowing out' by even looking at mid-boot vs. full (which is what I wore hiking Camino Inca). maybe an overkill or just 'set in meways' I don't know...but its like I sucked it up with mother's milk - protect your ankles no matter WHAT! and I've been hiking since I was 7 or so. And I am prone to twist them every so often therefore like some protection
Never felt comfortable in low shoe; chances are not going to happen here

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Back when I used to wear ankle boots, I only wore Lowa Renegade because they had the best fit of the wide boots that I tried. At the time, they were also the lightest boots that I could find. There are lighter ones, now. Compared to the Camino, the Renegade is a mid length but I thought that it covered my ankles pretty well. I tended to roll my ankles, also. The Renegade is also $85 less and about one lb lighter.

Several years ago I switched to trail runners. Surprisingly, I no longer roll my ankles. Of course, YMMV.

You do realise that Camino is just the name of this particular Lowa model of a trekking and hiking boot, just like their other models are called Tibet, Yukon or Cevedale (a mountain in Italy)?
LOL
Of COURSE - which is why my "rolling eyes" on the original post. I thought it amusingly funny
Lets quote the most highest authority of English language, namely The Bard himself:
What's in a name? That which we call a Camino by any other name would smell as stinky..... 😳 .... wait...something is off....
;)
Again, to some extend I am trying to see if the cost is justifiable and if the boot stands up to the task

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Again, to some extend I am trying to see if the cost is justifiable and if the boot stands up to the task
I find the price high but not unusual for this kind of trekking/hiking boot made by Lowa, Hanwag, Meindl. I can't add anything else because that would be expressing my opinion about whether to walk the Camino Frances (as you are planning to do) in high trekking/hiking boots, low trekking/walking shoes or some kind of soft trail runners. :)

This is just a little off topic, sorry, but the post reminded me of the Kia ad that puts its SUV Mojave on the Camino.

Back when I used to wear ankle boots, I only wore Lowa Renegade because they had the best fit of the wide boots that I tried. At the time, they were also the lightest boots that I could find. There are lighter ones, now. Compared to the Camino, the Renegade is a mid length but I thought that it covered my ankles pretty well. I tended to roll my ankles, also. The Renegade is also $85 less and about one lb lighter.

Several years ago I switched to trail runners. Surprisingly, I no longer roll my ankles. Of course, YMMV.

That would not surprise many of the people who have posted here, because they have reported on studies that conclude that boots do not keep the ankle from twisting, counter to popular belief. Only full fledged braces do that. Full disclosure — I am a trail runner convert, only took me 16 caminos to discover that just because the camino is a hike does not mean that hiking boots are the appropriate footwear. The difference in comfort is simply astonishing.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Full disclosure — I am a trail runner convert, only took me 16 caminos to discover that just because the camino is a hike does not mean that hiking boots are the appropriate footwear. The difference in comfort is simply astonishing.

Welcome to the LIGHT side! :::😀::

@wjohnk
That is the $100,000.00 question and I guess I do not know the answer since (obviously) I am somewhat apprehensive about spending $300.00+ ☺

yes of course I understand (and it has been stressed enough on the Forum in general) that equipment is 'personal' for lots of various reasons and this is no exception. Within reasons here is my situation:
For eons I used to wear size 9 regular width (said Camino Inca boots are just that) with no issues at all. yes, here and there I would get an occasional blister but those were few and far in between; nothing to worry about.
As The Good Lord would have it - as I got older, one of quite pesky (may I add) maladies that decided to attach themselves to me namely - gout caused my right foot to expand considerably!
Last I measured my left foot was about 9.5 and my right - a solid 10. I also had to go to Wide which is what my current cross-runners are.
Needless to say the Camino Inca boots are completely out of question (which is a total shame - I LOVE them, they are well broken and still in absolutely PERFECT condition after 15 years of being all over) hence I am looking for something new with the Camino Frances in mind.
As I quip often- too many choices is not good as it can get overwhelming. One of the solid suggestions is to get them 1 full size larger...but if I go 11 - then its probably too big for my left foot and I have a nagging feeling that it will 'swim' in that shoe\boot, so I want to stick to 10.5 W which is not a very easy thing to find, especially "on the shelf" so i can go into the store and try them out and see how it all fits (at least for the 1st try)
The quest shall continue....

I am using the Lowa Renegade GTX Mid since 15 years.
For me, a very comfortable shoe, keeping dry and not too hot in summer.
Only one drawback: they are used quite quickly on the tarmac (~700 km).
I have already tried others, but I'm still returning back to them.
One advantage: as they fit really well to my feet, no need to broke them.
During my 2017 Vezelay to Santiago Camino, I got a new pair in St-Jean-Pied-de-Port and walked directly to Espinal without a glitch.

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is just a little off topic, sorry, but the post reminded me of the Kia ad that puts its SUV Mojave on the Camino.

That would not surprise many of the people who have posted here, because they have reported on studies that conclude that boots do not keep the ankle from twisting, counter to popular belief. Only full fledged braces do that. Full disclosure — I am a trail runner convert, only took me 16 caminos to discover that just because the camino is a hike does not mean that hiking boots are the appropriate footwear. The difference in comfort is simply astonishing.
I walked 500 miles of the Appalachian Trail wearing Lowa Renegade mid-high boots without a single fall or ankle twist. I then switched to a low version of the boot and fell/rolled my ankle three times the first day, with very similar trail conditions. Therefore, I am a mid-high boot wearer to this day. Your experience may very, but the "studies" that say higher boots do not help prevent ankle rolls doesn't hold true for me.

Based on their website description of the boot and reviews, I believe these boots are targeted for a rougher terrain and would be overkill on the Camino. As others have above, I have used the Lowa Renegade GTX for two winter Caminos and found them exceptionally comfortable, supportive, weather proof and accept my ice trekkers well during the snow/ice situations. They are lighter than the 'Camino' boot you referenced and can't imagine why one would need something heavier. My only beef with Lowa is the wrapped sole which once wears out cannot be re-soled. For me at my size/weight, I get one Camino out of them and then they go into the bin at home. I guess that is the trade off for a very soft, grippy and cushioned sole...

As two of our most veteran pilgrims you and AnnieSantiago, I too am a confirmed trail runner walker. I am a rookie compared to you guys and have only walked 5 Caminos. All in trail runners. I have read in more than one place and having worked with doctors for many years and visiting Orthopedic doctors/surgeons they would also say that high boots and boots in general do not keep ankles from twisting. They said it is all the placebo effect. I am about 99% sure I have also read from our number 1 foot and all things foot related guru @davebugg has also stated this somewhere on his many posts. But the overwhelming evidence of course comes from me who has noticed that people who wear boots have more blisters and more severe blisters then people in trail runners. This research comes from me sitting on the edge of my bed or walking to the shower or bathroom and seeing people taking care of their feet. You have to admit my research methods and study is indisputable :)

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Iowa Camino Hiking boots

So... I saw couple of previous posts that mention Iowa boots, IIRC there was only 1 short blurb about "Camino" model

Thus my questions are:
Does anyone have an experience with these boots and this model? (Please, if not - there are enough posts on the forum as to what everyone's favorite shoe\boot\sandal is - with all respect due!)​
Does the price justifies the product? That is a lot of tapas and cafe-con-leches! Will they last the training period (I plan to hit the trails in earnest within a month or so and as stated prior - Camino is slotted for May 2021) and the CF?​

Thanks in advance!
My answer would be if you have no blisters and you feet feeling like they are light and floating on air then they are worth it. I buy trail runners for 1/3 of the price and love them. I have had 4 blisters in 5 caminos, none severe and my feet always feel light from my trail runners. It is all up to you.

Hi Buffy,
I don't think any boot is worth $300+ to me. They either would not last three times as long as other decent boots, or I'd get sick of them eventually anyway...I'd prefer a one hundred dollar pair even if it has a shorter lifespan as it's like buying them on the installment plan.😊
That said, I prefer trail runners!

I'm a confirmed boot-wearer, although I agree that much of the CF (unlike, say, the Puy route) is fairly easy underfoot. However, I also hike in Scotland where the going is usually rough (and frequently boggy) and boots are essential.

I'm a recent convert to Lowa Renegades (£129.99 from Decathlon, inc p&p, as opposed to £185 in a hiking outlet which shall be nameless.) They fit and feel like carpet slippers.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
They said it is all the placebo effect.
Perhaps, but IT'S MY CAMIN...... er.... placebo ;)

Seriously, I hear what you are saying. And i do know about 'placebo' and I have seen my share of folks who 'rap themselves' into a situation (One memorable ocasion was a Harry Potter ride in universal where someone I ws with kept on repeating to herself while in line that she WILL get sick! Guess what? :p)
So its firmly implanted in my head that ankles must be covered. I guess its just a question of finding footwear thats right for me

But lots of good points all around

I do believe that within reasons I can conclude that spending in upwards of $300.00 is a bit too much
I agree that one can probably get couple of pairs for the duration
I also have noticed that some hiking outlet which shall be nameless' prices are quite more than other places.
I'll take a lot of whats been said here into consideration
thanks

🙏

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That would not surprise many of the people who have posted here, because they have reported on studies that conclude that boots do not keep the ankle from twisting, counter to popular belief. Only full fledged braces do that.
Where these the studies conducted on college basketball players? Or those on soccer players? I have previously pointed to a US Army study that showed improved stability wearing high top boots in conditions much more like the Camino. We are not all under 25 year olds treating the Camino like a basketball court or a soccer pitch.

But the overwhelming evidence of course comes from me who has noticed that people who wear boots have more blisters and more severe blisters then people in trail runners.
My observation is pretty much the opposite. The worst blisters that I saw in my first camino were suffered by shoe wearers. Same observational technique! I think we see what we want to see, and I certainly don't walk a pilgrimage to consistently and reliably collect statistical information about the incidence of blisters. Or anything else for that matter.

Last edited:
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
@wjohnk
That is the $100,000.00 question and I guess I do not know the answer since (obviously) I am somewhat apprehensive about spending $300.00+ ☺

yes of course I understand (and it has been stressed enough on the Forum in general) that equipment is 'personal' for lots of various reasons and this is no exception. Within reasons here is my situation:
For eons I used to wear size 9 regular width (said Camino Inca boots are just that) with no issues at all. yes, here and there I would get an occasional blister but those were few and far in between; nothing to worry about.
As The Good Lord would have it - as I got older, one of quite pesky (may I add) maladies that decided to attach themselves to me namely - gout caused my right foot to expand considerably!
Last I measured my left foot was about 9.5 and my right - a solid 10. I also had to go to Wide which is what my current cross-runners are.
Needless to say the Camino Inca boots are completely out of question (which is a total shame - I LOVE them, they are well broken and still in absolutely PERFECT condition after 15 years of being all over) hence I am looking for something new with the Camino Frances in mind.
As I quip often- too many choices is not good as it can get overwhelming. One of the solid suggestions is to get them 1 full size larger...but if I go 11 - then its probably too big for my left foot and I have a nagging feeling that it will 'swim' in that shoe\boot, so I want to stick to 10.5 W which is not a very easy thing to find, especially "on the shelf" so i can go into the store and try them out and see how it all fits (at least for the 1st try)
The quest shall continue....
Just a thought, not knowing your travel dates, I ordered 3 pair shipped to my house to try out. It’s so easy to send things back now & due to working hours getting to the appropriate stores Wasn’t easy.
Greatest of luck to you on your footwear quest & Buen Camino!

@Pscarmen
thanks
My travel dates are not for a whole year - by all means click on my Camino Countdown in my signature and Ye shall be Enlightened :)

Some vendors clearly state that they will accept returns ONLY if the product is unused and relatively new
So... I can see getting a pair, putting them on, not feeling any Love and returning them. Taking them out for a week of trial hikes - they will look used

It does look like I will wind up getting whatever I get via Web, some of the prices just cannot be beaten.
I hope everything will fall in place and with God's Help - I will chose the right one for me

¡Santiago, y cierra, España!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
LOL
click on my ➡ Camino Countown 🚶‍♂️** in my signature :)

yes The Holy Year and ALL THE POSTS here about what madhouse it shall\will\may\may be not be....
But then as someone replied to one of my posts way-back-when in the beginning when I just started posting
Do you want to Miss The party
And no I do not 👍

I just got my backpack (Gregory Zulu 35L) and have been taking small hikes with it (5-8 miles long), so I guess footwear is next important purchase on the list

LOL
click on my ➡ Camino Countown 🚶‍♂️** in my signature :)

yes The Holy Year and ALL THE POSTS here about what madhouse it shall\will\may\may be not be....
But then as someone replied to one of my posts way-back-when in the beginning when I just started posting
Do you want to Miss The party
And no I do not 👍

I just got my backpack (Gregory Zulu 35L) and have been taking small hikes with it (5-8 miles long), so I guess footwear is next important purchase on the list
446 days to go...it's practically around the corner! You will be an expert before you leave home. 😀
My backpack is a 36L Osprey. I think you will like the size...just about perfect.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Iowa Camino Hiking boots

Thus my questions are:

Thanks in advance!
Iowa Camino Hiking boots

Thus my questions are:

Thanks in advance!
$59 Hitec that fit my feet Seem separating at the toe after SJPDP to Santiago. Shoe glue fixed it.

Attachments

• 20190406_123803.jpg
    20190406_123803.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 6
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Perhaps, but IT'S MY CAMIN...... er.... placebo ;)

Seriously, I hear what you are saying. And i do know about 'placebo' and I have seen my share of folks who 'rap themselves' into a situation (One memorable ocasion was a Harry Potter ride in universal where someone I ws with kept on repeating to herself while in line that she WILL get sick! Guess what? :p)
So its firmly implanted in my head that ankles must be covered. I guess its just a question of finding footwear thats right for me

But lots of good points all around
Whatever the effect if you are happier with boots than wear boots! No if ands or boots about it!!!! It is definitely your Camino and your feet.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Update

(how's THAT for a positive thinking! 👍 :))

Received my brand-spankin-new pair of Lowa Renegates (GTX Mid) yesterday
Got them from Enwild on sale for a pretty good price (all-in-all considering)

I reckon at some point I need to be "liberated' enough to start taking trial hikes in them

(and, yes they were made in Europe (Slovenia) not Asia)

It's not the shoes it's your feet. Look at the bottom of your shoes. Notice where they're worn. That part of your foot won't likely get blisters because that part has toughen up. When training or just walking make an effort of walking on those parts of your feet that don't get much pressure. You'll find yourself walking tippy toe which is how you'll spend much time on the Camino dodging cobblestones and other uneven surfaces.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@RRat
Thanks, agreed to a point. Thing was that I simply needed a new pair of hiking boots be it that my feet decided to grow on me as i got older (esp. in the last 2 years) and thus negated my awesomely-faved boots that I had for like EONS (and who took me through parts of AT, Camino Inca and various hikes throughout US) 😭

So now once it is completed - I shall start training & getting used to new ones (God Willing)

I am somewhat bumming. Way back when I just got on this forum I posted "my first trial walk" which I did last year on Good Friday. 18.5 miles
So my plan for this year was - get new boots, break them in a bit on small short local hikes, repeat above walk on Good Friday (also wearing my new Gregory Zulu 35 - nicely loaded) and then do Phase 2 on Saturday walking part of Schuylkill Trail (this is all in Philadelphia area) from Valley Forge NP to downtown Philly (would've clocked it at about 22 miles)
Alas.... the pestilence hit and I couldn't do the walks and obviously postponed getting the boots
I am still hopeful that we'll start getting to the point of easing the restriction within next 3 weeks or so....

Iowa Camino Hiking boots

Thus my questions are:

Thanks in advance!

Yes I do. I have worn Lowa Camino Boots on every Camino I have ever walked. And I use them at home too now. Firstly, it is nothing to do with the 'Camino' name. Basically, Lowa boots have a great reputation, and their Camino Boots are slim fitting that suited me at the time - and loved them so much I keep buying them. Also, due to me having weakened ankles (ex infantryman) I really do need ankle support, so these boots tick all the boxes for me.

When first researching them I found reports that the soles were 'soft' and only good for off road walking, as they wear out quickly. I bought them anyway to try. My first camino + I managed over 2500 km before they wore out, so I was impressed.

And they don't need any wearing in, at all. Like comfy slippers from day one.

Downside, they are hot and heavy, if you don't need full boots then get something lighter. And they are slim fit too.

Take care out there folks, hope you are all well, much love
Davey

Thanks @Davey Boyd
As you can see from my latest posts I opted to get Lowa Renegates
I always loved full boot but decided to give MID a try - way too many folks stating that it should be OK
Hot and heavy would also not be my faves.... along with the price
in any case - the deed is done but I do appreciate your info!
Stay safe out there as well

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.