• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do we need to keep the Porto-Santiago guide updated?

peregrina2000

Staff member
As many of you know, there are two CSJ guides in the resource section, one Lisbon to Porto, one Porto to Santiago. I did revisions for both last year and was the point person for receiving comments and updates throughout the year. I got a lot on the Lisbon-Porto section, and the 2015 guide is now in the revision stage, almost done. But I got very very few for the Porto guide, and I'm wondering whether that's because there are plenty of other sources people use for Porto north.

What do you think, should I try to get more comments for revising the Porto guide or just leave it for a few years and hope more comments trickle in, or just let it go completely?

Thanks, Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Laurie. There doesn't change a lot on the Porto to Santiago leg but a good idea should be extending the info to the coastal caminho.

And a good view on the coastal detour from Matosinhos to Vila do Conde andSāo Pedro de Rates. Except for the Brierley guide nobody is talking about that far better alternative than the dangerous and uncomfortable part to Vilarinho.

The O Porriño detour should get some more attention.

Bom caminho

As many of you know, there are two CSJ guides in the resource section, one Lisbon to Porto, one Porto to Santiago. I did revisions for both last year and was the point person for receiving comments and updates throughout the year. I got a lot on the Lisbon-Porto section, and the 2015 guide is now in the revision stage, almost done. But I got very very few for the Porto guide, and I'm wondering whether that's because there are plenty of other sources people use for Porto north.

What do you think, should I try to get more comments for revising the Porto guide or just leave it for a few years and hope more comments trickle in, or just let it go completely?

Thanks, Laurie

I enjoyed the Porto - Santiago Camino last October. The stage from Vila do Conde to Sao Pedro Rates was not marked and the Brierly notes were sketchy at best.
Somehow, I cannot recall exactly how I made it along that stage but for the help of many locals who were helpful enough to get me to the next few Km towards
Sao Pedro Rates. Better notes and "flechinhas amarelas" would be appreciated along this very nice route from Porto to Sao Pedro Rates.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Thanks, Laurie
i'd vote for 'update' - did forward the notes to private email on thursday (the porto-sdc section) - thank you!!:)

I plan to do the Camino Portuguese sometime this year, likely around 1 August or so. At present, my plan is to start at Lisbon, or just north of the commercial ring, and follow the coastal route. I will pass through Porto and plan to stay "coastal" as long as I can before swinging north-east towards Spain and Santiago.

While I have the Brierely 2015 guide on order, I would find a coastal route guide revision very helpful.

Thank you for your efforts, in advance.

I am happy to incorporate a coastal route guide, but someone else will have to write it, because I haven't walked it. Any takers?

Also, unless people send me updates to the Porto-Santiago section, I will have nothing to add to the guide, because I haven't walk from Porto in years. so if you have something that needs to be added, please send it my way! Thanks, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Litoral Route follows the coast the Coastal Route is inland . The Litoral is poorly marked but the guide is to keep the ocean on your left. The Portugues are creating a walking path and have marked posts, many boardwalks, arrows are rare. There is a nice alberge in Marinhas beyond Esposende. I would suggest looking at Google Maps to understand how to get back to the coast (we didn't and walked highways for a day to Viana Do Castelo ). We went inland at Caminha because the boats weren't crossing to Spain. I didn't loose and weight as the food was wonderful. A great Camino Family too..... Willy & Pam

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Laurie,

Can't help with this, but just want to say thank you for all your care!

Yes please , I intend to walk from Porto around the 23rd of August. Any new info would be greatly appreciated.

When time allows I will take a look at the guide and compare it to my daily noteS.

In the meantime, anyone walking from Porto should take a look at this video, originally posted by @Diogo92, showing the new route around O Porriño where the new arrows are regularly blacked out which causes much confusion. This video is well worth looking at in any event as it is such a good demonstration of a fabulous section on the CP.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I plan to do the Camino Portuguese sometime this year, likely around 1 August or so. At present, my plan is to start at Lisbon, or just north of the commercial ring, and follow the coastal route. I will pass through Porto and plan to stay "coastal" as long as I can before swinging north-east towards Spain and Santiago.

While I have the Brierely 2015 guide on order, I would find a coastal route guide revision very helpful.

Thank you for your efforts, in advance.
The first opportunity to get on the coastal is walking out of Porto direction Matosinhos and Vila do Conde. From Lisboa you walk north eastwards by following the Tejo river for a while.
The new Brierley guide cover shows a green dotted line as being the caminho da costabut in the guide you only find the central route, ! Nothing about the coastal !

The Litoral Route follows the coast the Coastal Route is inland . The Litoral is poorly marked but the guide is to keep the ocean on your left. The Portugues are creating a walking path and have marked posts, many boardwalks, arrows are rare. There is a nice alberge in Marinhas beyond Esposende. I would suggest looking at Google Maps to understand how to get back to the coast (we didn't and walked highways for a day to Viana Do Castelo ). We went inland at Caminha because the boats weren't crossing to Spain. I didn't loose and weight as the food was wonderful. A great Camino Family too..... Willy & Pam
in Caminha you could have asked the tourist info . They can make contact for you with fishermen or boat owners who sail you to A Guarda.
Alternative is a one day 26 km detour from Caminha to Vila Nova de Cerveira and there you cross the river Minho and walk to A Guarda. We saw some walkers doing that last year May when we were around in the Caminha area.
The council of Caminha is talking about sailing of the ferry end of April next but first seeing and than believing. Is a Dutch proverb.
Bom caminho

Last edited:
I am happy to incorporate a coastal route guide, but someone else will have to write it, because I haven't walked it. Any takers?

Also, unless people send me updates to the Porto-Santiago section, I will have nothing to add to the guide, because I haven't walk from Porto in years. so if you have something that needs to be added, please send it my way! Thanks, Laurie
Happy to collaborate with others on a coastal guide. Let me know how I can help.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Besides new Albergues, I don't think that there have been many changes in the Porto to Santiago leg.

I think that an update, every once in a while for that guide would be good, but I think that the most "important" part right now it's the Lisbon to Porto leg.

I'll do tomorrow from Lisbon to Vila Franca de Xira, just to check out the conditions of the Way. They are predicting rain, but I don't care, I'm still walking it :D I count to have also the GPS track marked, and I will post it in here.

Will do the same thing with the Salnés ;)

I've now walked and biked part of the route advocated by Albertinho for the coastal route out of Porto.
It is a pity it is not way-marked but it is easy to follow, nonetheless some good indications in a guide book would be helpful I think.
There have been more boardwalks created north of the refinery in Leixões, and currently you can do practically all on boardwalks and well marked side walks.
Underfoot it will be hard for the first kms (so not different from the regular Camino), however you'll be much more protected from traffic.
Here are some photos of the path between Leixões and Vila do Conde.

SDC14151
by eduardodourado, on Flickr

SDC14162

SDC14166

More here.

Regarding options of mix and matching Caminos, you can go from Vila do Conde to Rates (to continue via regular camino). If I remember there are arrows, but there is plenty of road and coble stone walking, not great.
Walking and scenery wise the Portuguese after Porto only gets good when you reach near Vairão (theres and albergue there). Cutting from the coast in Mindelo inland to Vairão could be an option.

I could to this coastal route again and take more photos if you guys think it'd be a good addition to the guide.

My marching orders are to leave the Porto-Santiago guide with just the more traditional route. I wouldn't be much help with Coastal Route instructions anyway, since I haven't walked it. So if some of you want to get together to put out a small Coastal Route document, it could then go separately to the Resources section. I think it would be much appreciated, especially given the several alternatives. Buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Recent experience in Oct '14 revealed a few "problems" with the boardwalk between Matosinhos and Vila do Conde. There was a long stretch of boardwalk structure
but no "boards" forcing me to walk along side until the complete structure resumed. Hopefully this is a work in progress soon to be completed? Also note that there is a
50m gap in the boardwalk just South of Vila do Conde that forces one to attempt to ford a rather deep "richinho" (creek?). I was able to rig a "bridge" over that water
with the help of two other stranded local walkers. That makeshift fix may not have lasted thru the subsequent deluge a few days later.
Again, maybe that gap has been fixed during the last few months. Otherwise a very pleasant walk from Matosinhos to Vila do Conde.
Note also that the new Hostel Bellamar in Vila do Conde (used to be a hotel) has a "pilgrim rate" of 10 euro/night with all facilities.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

We are walking the Camino Portuguese heading north from Tomar . A friend walking with us desperately needs to buy hiking poles. Where can we find a store on the Camino that sells poles? Thanks for...
Please keep an eye out for samsung phone. Lost between Pontevedra and split for the spiritual route. Pink case. Photo of a little dog on home screen
Hello! I lost my blue correction glasses between the flower stall (on the way between Arcades and Pontevedra) and Pontevedra 2 days ago. I might have forgotten them in the Igrexa de Virxe...
So, before I began my third Caminho Portuguese from Lisbon in April of this year, I had a week with a friend who lives in the Algarve beforehand. However, literally on the first night of landing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back