• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Documentary

DowtyCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
May-Jn2014
May-Jn 2017
VF Jl-O 2021
Mar-My 2023
My wife and I walked Camino - June 2014 from SJPP to Finesterra 4 weeks 4 days.
If anyone is interested, we created a video documtary called "1,000,000 steps together" available on YouTube. Search for "dowtycamino".
It starts out with a 5min history of the Camino tracing it back to its Christian roots - so if you want to skip that bit, please do so.
The video isn't about our physical journey as much as it is about the physical, emotional and spiritual struggles we faced.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If anyone is interested, we created a video documtary called "1,000,000 steps together" available on YouTube. Search for "dowtycamino".
It starts out with a 5min history of the Camino tracing it back to its Christian roots - so if you want to skip that bit, please do so.
The video isn't about our physical journey as much as it is about the physical, emotional and spiritual struggles we faced.

Your video is absolutely amazing, thank you for sharing.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Glad you enjoyed it. We tried to be really open and honest and still tell a story that those that don't know us would be interested in viewing.

I enjoyed that very much, thank-you. I'm delighted to see that you met one of the real life Camino angels in David to whom you gave one of your crosses. He'll be tickled pink to know you included him in your video. I know David because he lives in my hometown and you'll be delighted to know that you chose one of the nicest people I have known to look after your cross for you.

Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I enjoyed that very much, thank-you. I'm delighted to see that you met one of the real life Camino angels in David to whom you gave one of your crosses. He'll be tickled pink to know you included him in your video. I know David because he lives in my hometown and you'll be delighted to know that you chose one of the nicest people I have known to look after your cross for you.

Buen Camino
David and I have had some long "discussions" on this post privately. He was indeed an angel to have met and I'm sorry to have lost contact with him. I think he misunderstood something I said on Camino and it may have sidetracked further talks. Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the video.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very well done! Thoughtful video. The time it took to view went by quickly. Thanks for sharing.

Very well done! Thoughtful video. The time it took to view went by quickly. Thanks for sharing.
Silvio - I'm glad you enjoyed it. It looks like you're walking Camino in April. I'm jealous! I wish I was going back.

My husband and I just watched your video and it was lovely. Many thanks. We are leaving March 29 and are doing the same trek. Watching your video tells us not to rush but stop a lot and enjoy. Maya and Bruno

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My husband and I just watched your video and it was lovely. Many thanks. We are leaving March 29 and are doing the same trek. Watching your video tells us not to rush but stop a lot and enjoy. Maya and Bruno

Maya and Bruno: I'm glad you got that message from our video. I think most Camino "veterans" would echo that advice. Take whatever time you have and don't worry about the destination - enjoy the journey. Personnally I'm not sure I would have listened to my own advice prior to Camino. I wanted to seize the Camino and take it for everything it offered. If I'm ever able to do it again - I will do it differently. I'd spend more time with the people, and start the way I finished - just walking until I wanted to stop with no agenda.

My wife, daughter and I just got done watching the video and are so thankful that you shared it. We are now 20 months away from our journey and we speak of it like it is coming up next weekend. While the journey looks amazing and your storytelling is lovely, I personally loved how you spoke of each other.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My wife, daughter and I just got done watching the video and are so thankful that you shared it. We are now 20 months away from our journey and we speak of it like it is coming up next weekend. While the journey looks amazing and your storytelling is lovely, I personally loved how you spoke of each other.

Thanks David. Oh yea, a found a true prize when I met my bride. I can't even begin to explain.
I've asked each of my college age kids, but none are interested ...yet...
Maybe that's because it was "our" thing.
Regardless, we met and have stayed in touch with another Father/Daughter pair.
It will be a wonderful journey for the two of you. It won't be what you expect, but it will be wonderful. Pack light!

Fabulous video! My wife and I will be starting the CF in May of 2016, celebrating our 60th birthdays. Like you, we both have competitive streaks that will have to be reigned in. I hope we can do as well, letting compassion and caring for each other take precedence. Thanks for sharing.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I left a comment on you tube, it was excellent. Very well told and honest and also some nice photographs.

Dermot

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Fabulous video! My wife and I will be starting the CF in May of 2016, celebrating our 60th birthdays. Like you, we both have competitive streaks that will have to be reigned in. I hope we can do as well, letting compassion and caring for each other take precedence. Thanks for sharing.
I'm sure you'll both support and challenge each other. Allison tells me often that she would have given up without me. I'm not so sure, but I know that there were many days where I wanted to stop too. We kept each other going and loved the time together.

I left a comment on you tube, it was excellent. Very well told and honest and also some nice photographs.

Dermot
It was so hard to whittle down our 1400+ photographs to those shown in the video!! Glad you enjoyed it.

Looks Great!

I hope you don't mind that I added it to our Camino Frances section in the Photo (and video) album here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...0-000-steps-together-our-camino-youtube.1869/
1,000,000 Steps Together - Our Camino
Thank you, thank you! It was wonderful to watch your video and hear about your experiences. I walked the Camino in April 2013 with my husband of 29 years. Our two children had just finished college and settled down in jobs far from home. We were well and truly empty nesters! I have often said that the walk was one long renewal of our wedding vows and a wonderful beginning for this next chapter of our lives. I felt that same sentiment in your video. Congratulations! Liz

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you, thank you! It was wonderful to watch your video and hear about your experiences. I walked the Camino in April 2013 with my husband of 29 years. Our two children had just finished college and settled down in jobs far from home. We were well and truly empty nesters! I have often said that the walk was one long renewal of our wedding vows and a wonderful beginning for this next chapter of our lives. I felt that same sentiment in your video. Congratulations! Liz

Not to brag, but we never stopped our honeymoon!! But this was indeed a special event for us as a couple. Many people have asked..."wasn't it wonderful?" In reply to this question I've always hesitated. You've walked Camino so you know, but it is wonderful, but also difficult, adventurous, but also safe. Camino is so difficult to put into words. The greatest testimony is that I'm desperate to go back - and I still can't explain exactly why. Strange. Thanks for watching the video and for your nice comments.

Great video! I am doing Camino Frances from SJPdP in May 2016 for my 50th birthday with some girlfriends. Our husbands are joining us for the last week. I am also looking at being an empty nester soon - and faced with the same decision...."What do I do next?" I loved the history in the video as well as your personal journey.

Great video! I am doing Camino Frances from SJPdP in May 2016 for my 50th birthday with some girlfriends. Our husbands are joining us for the last week. I am also looking at being an empty nester soon - and faced with the same decision...."What do I do next?" I loved the history in the video as well as your personal journey.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Allison has been enjoying decorating our home and had also begun some volunteer work. Allison's advice is "Don't stress about the 'what to do next?' bit. It will come to you and you may have the opportunity to do many things instead of having to settle on just one.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Many thanks for this!

Faithful to the Camino, authentic to the experience of walking it and honest about the personal experiences (good and bad) one encounters.

The only bad part is that it rejuvenated my "post-Camino blues". (I'll live! :))

B

Hi JohnMark and Alison. I do believe that your Camino video is the best I have watched. So honest, kind - and some stunning photography.

for those who haven't yet met them (you will, they'll be back on Pilgrimage!!) they are the most delightful couple - kind, warm, funny, and honest.

Buen Camino!!

Hi JohnMark and Alison. I do believe that your Camino video is the best I have watched. So honest, kind - and some stunning photography.

for those who haven't yet met them (you will, they'll be back on Pilgrimage!!) they are the most delightful couple - kind, warm, funny, and honest.

Buen Camino!!
David....you are too kind.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Many thanks for this!

Faithful to the Camino, authentic to the experience of walking it and honest about the personal experiences (good and bad) one encounters.

The only bad part is that it rejuvenated my "post-Camino blues". (I'll live! :))

B
B,
I've been having those "Blues" too. Considering De La Plata for 2016.

Hi Mark and Allison -
Every minute of your documentary was so beautiful - thank you for sharing it.
Something that jumped into my mind regarding "What's Next" was the thought that you'd make fantastic volunteer hospitaleros. IngridF has a thread at the moment, 'Volunteering on Camino' ... you might like to check it out. I was privileged to serve as an hospitalera last year (30 June - 16 July) at Refugio Gaucelmo, the CSJ-owned refugio at Rabanal, and it was the most incredible experience - the chance to be of service to pilgrims and to be a part of the village life at Rabanal - is something that will stay with me for the rest of my life. It's certainly a different camino but such a worthwhile one.
Thanks again and cheers from sunny Oz - Jenny
PS - so wonderful to see "our David" featured in your documentary too!

Very beautifull. I realy enjoyed watching it. Thank you.

My wife and I also walked this Camino in 2014, between 10 of June and 14;th of Aug. It was a very spiritual experience for us and now we are just thinking about going back. We met a peregrino who was doing his 13;th Camino so I think it's quit easy to get it into the blood :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Mark and Allison -
Every minute of your documentary was so beautiful - thank you for sharing it.
Something that jumped into my mind regarding "What's Next" was the thought that you'd make fantastic volunteer hospitaleros. IngridF has a thread at the moment, 'Volunteering on Camino' ... you might like to check it out. I was privileged to serve as an hospitalera last year (30 June - 16 July) at Refugio Gaucelmo, the CSJ-owned refugio at Rabanal, and it was the most incredible experience - the chance to be of service to pilgrims and to be a part of the village life at Rabanal - is something that will stay with me for the rest of my life. It's certainly a different camino but such a worthwhile one.
Thanks again and cheers from sunny Oz - Jenny
PS - so wonderful to see "our David" featured in your documentary too!

Such excellent timing. I spoke with Allison on the same subject a couple of days ago. It is definitely part of our 2017 plans.

Very beautifull. I realy enjoyed watching it. Thank you.

My wife and I also walked this Camino in 2014, between 10 of June and 14;th of Aug. It was a very spiritual experience for us and now we are just thinking about going back. We met a peregrino who was doing his 13;th Camino so I think it's quit easy to get it into the blood :)

Undoubtedly. 13 times is amazing. How on earth does one get that much vacation time I wonder? :)

I met a French chap a few years back who was 90 something - 93 I think. He had walked to Santiago 16 times and was on his 17th! I met him at the beginning of the Meseta. He stopped for a cup of tea and asked me to take his pack off for him. He stayed a while and then asked me to put his pack back on, a really heavy pack too. He was thin and wiry - said that he could still walk the Camino but was unable to maneuver the pack on and off!
Cheeky rascal. A young German guy stopped and sat down - when the Frenchman realised he was German he teased him by telling him how the Germans had occupied his village during the war and it hadn't been pleasant. The poor German moved off after a while and the Frenchman decided to follow him - I suppose to taunt him just a little more - poor chap.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back