• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dragonte Route

RemysMimi

Hooked on the Camino!!
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2018)
Frances or Portuguese (2020)
I don't know if this is the place to ask this question, but here goes. If not, please let me know where.

If I take the Dragonte Route out of Villafranca, is there a trail that leads down to Trabadelo or will I have to walk it the entire way? My plan is to meet a friend in Trabadelo for the evening and then restart the Dragonte the next day.

TIA

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’ve not walked the Dragonte but did the option to the right out of Villafranca, it was amazing. It will take you directly down into Trabadelo.

From my map I do see the possibility to get to Trabadelo from the Dragonte from San Fiz de Seo with some back tracking. Then take the same way back to Dragonte. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Buen Camino!
😎👣🌻

IMG_4789.jpeg

I’ve not walked the Dragonte but did the option to the right out of Villafranca, it was amazing. It will take you directly down into Trabadelo.

From my map I do see the possibility to get to Trabadelo from the Dragonte from San Fiz de Seo with some back tracking. Then take the same way back to Dragonte. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Buen Camino!
😎👣🌻

View attachment 166221

May I make a correction? Nevermind, I will anyway.

It will take you directly [up to Pradelo and then] down into Trabadelo.

Remember the up part. 😓

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
May I make a correction? Nevermind, I will anyway.

It will take you directly [up to Pradelo and then] down into Trabadelo.

Remember the up part. 😓
Was the correction really necessary? As the map shows a “direct” green dotted line to Trabadelo. The “up” and “down” could have easily been added without making me feel I needed to be corrected.

I agree, the incline as the optional trail veers off to the right from Villafranca is intense. Then it levels out quite nicely, very peaceful. Then after Pradelo the decent is very, very steep. There is a caution symbol on the map indicating where this is. 😅

Have you walked the Dragonte? I wonder how steep it is.
😎👣🌻

August 7, 2019
Villafranca below.
IMG_4393.jpeg
IMG_4396.jpeg

Last edited:
Was the correction really necessary? As the map shows a “direct” green dotted line to Trabadelo. The “up” and “down” could have easily been added without making me feel I needed to be corrected.
Please accept my apologies. The tone in my head was light banter and I see that it didn't work. It wasn't the "directly" that made me respond but the combination of "directly down". That was a tough uphill and we ran out of water. I wanted to issue a warning but I didn't do it right.

😎👣🌻
I have not. The profile in Brierley's guide, the purple profile, makes it look horrible. Plenty of people complain about the steepness of the approach to O Cebreiro and parts of the Dragonte are much steeper. And the total ascent looks like 1,000 meters before even reaching the route up O Cebreiro. It looks like a very tough day indeed.
PXL_20240318_122918652.jpg

I agree, the incline as the optional trail veers off to the right from Villafranca is intense. Then it levels out quite nicely, very peaceful. Then after Pradelo the decent is very, very steep. There is a caution symbol on the map indicating where this is. 😅

😎👣🌻

August 7, 2019
Villafranca below.
View attachment 166238
View attachment 166239
We took the variant out of Villafranca and it was beautiful. Thanks for sharing pics.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I have not. The profile in Brierley's guide, the purple profile, makes it look horrible. Plenty of people complain about the steepness of the approach to O Cebreiro and parts of the Dragonte are much steeper. And the total ascent looks like 1,000 meters before even reaching the route up O Cebreiro. It looks like a very tough day indeed.
I have that Brierley guide and was scared away, too, although it looked intriguing, and like it could be an adventure of sorts...for someone else.🙄
I have read a year+ ago that someone has done a pretty good job of installing better markings to help with not getting lost. I think I recall reading of dog issues on that path, too, but not sure.
I'd like to read a few replies from some fearless members who have walked that diversion (deviant😅) route.

Please accept my apologies. The tone in my head was light banter and I see that it didn't work. It wasn't the "directly" that made me respond but the combination of "directly down". That was a tough uphill and we ran out of water. I wanted to issue a warning but I didn't do it right.

View attachment 166257
Apology accepted, thank you. This is where one of those emoji's would have come in handy. :p I didn't get the banter, obviously.

Yes, the guide shows a rollercoaster of a trail for Dragonte. Better suited for the more adventurous and the mightily fit. Would I take the option to the right again, yes, if I was feeling a burst of energy, yes. It was much better than walking along side the road and not a pilgrim in site.

I have that Brierley guide and was scared away, too, although it looked intriguing, and like it could be an adventure of sorts...for someone else.🙄

I'd like to read a few replies from some fearless members who have walked that diversion (deviant😅) route.
I too thought it to be too much and kind of scary. I am looking forward to reading any adventures of those who have braved the Dragonte. They don't refer to it as a dragon for nothing. 🔥🐉

A selection of Camino Jewellery
They don't refer to it as a dragon for nothing. 🔥🐉
Exactly! I'd thought the same thing, although I always looked at Brierley's map showing the Dragonte a little wistfully. My big regret is not walking the Pradela variant; it looked so steep and high when I looked up from the road below. Unfortunately I saw no photos of its beauty either time I walked the Frances a number of years ago to encourage doing it and didn't know what I was missing.😐

Exactly! I'd thought the same thing, although I always looked at Brierley's map showing the Dragonte a little wistfully. My big regret is not walking the Pradela variant; it looked so steep and high when I looked up from the road below. Unfortunately I saw no photos of its beauty either time I walked the Frances a number of years ago to encourage doing it and didn't know what I was missing.😐
The Option is very steep in the beginning. If you have any sort of knee, back, foot issues, I would skip it. I was literally using my hands (nearly walking on all fours) during the steepest part. It doesn't last long but it's a dozy. If I can do it, just about anyone can. Then there's the decent as you leave Pradela. It seemed to go on forever just like most stages do at the end of the day. Just be mindful and take your time, keeping any knee concerns in mind. I hope one day you'll get to experience it. It was truly one of the best parts for me. On top of the world, solo, just me and my walking partner Jesus. It doesn't get any better than that. ☺️

😎👣🌻

IMG_4394.jpeg
IMG_4395.jpeg
IMG_4400.jpeg
IMG_4403.jpeg
Pradela
IMG_4406.jpeg

View attachment 166257
I don't think you had anything to apologize for to begin with. But that is just me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Pradela route is wonderful!! And as others have stated, you come out right at Trabadelo. When you arrive in the little village of Pradela, definitely stop at Albergue Lamas for a refreshment/sandwich. They are wonderful people who own it. They make some trinkets and purchasing something brings them great joy!

I don't think you had anything to apologize for to begin with. But that is just me.
Yes, it must be just you. 🤣 I didn't feel I needed to be corrected and I spoke up about it. Rick was gracious enough to acknowledge this, I appreciate being heard by him. It's not always a dog eat dog world out there. ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

😎👣🌻

View attachment 166221
Thanks for you reply and the picks. I have been training to do this. So I hope it works out.

😎👣🌻

View attachment 166221
So, it looks like there are 3 routes out of Villafranca. Interesting. I have been training for the Dragonte. I hope it works out.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So, it looks like there are 3 routes out of Villafranca. Interesting. I have been training for the Dragonte. I hope it works out.
Yes, there are three different routes. #1 is along the road, pretty flat. #2 is the Padela, the one I took. #3 is the Dragonte, the one you will conquer. From the map Rick posted. The Dragonte is the one with the three mountains. It’s a doozy! I wish you all the best, you’ve got this!! And please as C Clearly suggested, update us with your adventure in slaying the Dragonte 🐉.
😎👣🌻

Oh, will you be taking the route from the Dragonte (backtracking) to Trabadelo?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, there are three different routes. #1 is along the road, pretty flat. #2 is the Padela, the one I took. #3 is the Dragonte, the one you will conquer. From the map Rick posted. The Dragonte is the one with the three mountains. It’s a doozy! I wish you all the best, you’ve got this!! And please as C Clearly suggested, update us with your adventure in slaying the Dragonte 🐉.
😎👣🌻

Oh, will you be taking the route from the Dragonte (backtracking) to Trabadelo?
I doubt you will have the energy to do any backtracking after doing the Dragonte. You can read my blog for my day on the dragon's back at caminodejaime.com Oct 4, 2022 entry.

You can walk along the road from San Fiz de Seo to the N-VI road (which the main route follows). Youll meet it a bit after Trabadelo, so with some decent timing you can meet your friend at that point. Or walk back to Trabadelo, but that seems rather pointless to me.
However bear in mind that you will likely take a lot longer to get to the "meeting point" than someone that starts in Villafranca at the same time and follows the "main" route.

Dont be scared to much of the Dragonte. It's comparable to the SJPDP-Roncesvalles section, minus the infrastructure. Exhausting, yes, but not impossible. Had a wonderful day there.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back