• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.

Drinking water & scallop shells

redheadhiker

Should I take enough water for the day or can one find drinking water en-route?
(I could take my SteriPEN to zap the water to kill giardia and viruses if need be (4oz), but I would rather not)

Can one purchase scallop shells at the cathedral or nearby?

Regards
Loraine

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

jeff001

Water is widely available either from drinking fountains or from bars/restaurants in the villages. Unsafe water sources are marked as "non potabile." Except on a few stretches it is not necessary to carry at most 1L of water, as long as you refill the container when you have the opportunity.

Another reason for having a guidebook is being able to know the places where you need to carry more water.

elzi

Well worth knowing - ALL cemeteries in France have drinking water and you will walk past a lot. I was a bit wary at first of drinking cemetery water but I saw a lot of french walkers doing it, was directed to cemeteries by locals when enquiring about water and I must admit the knowledge came in very handy on the warmer days!

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • March

Votes: 60 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 207 14.9%
  • May