• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

DWR. Treating Rain Gear with Durable Water Repellant

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
Last year I purchased a popular 2.5 layer, DWR rain jacket.
I had decided this particular model would suit my needs adequately, both in terms of efficacy and price.
We have this 2022 summer, here in Australia, been subjected to the assault of a particularly wet weather pattern.
Where I live, that has meant has rain, rain and more rain, delightfully interspersed with Tropical deluges.
But what could be better to test out ones new wet weather jacket?
Great fun I had testing in these deluges, the temperature being tropically warm.
In the first deluge the water beaded delightfully and ran eagerly off my jacket.
During the second, tiny patches of "wetting out" appeared.
On the third, these "wetting out" patches enlarged somewhat concerningly, in particular places.
On the hood and a small amount on the shoulders.
On the side of the jackets body where the sleeves brush as the arms move back and forth.
On the sleeve cuffs and around the jacket bottom where the draw string is enclosed.

Remember, these were absolute deluges that lasted for at least 45 minutes. The park alongside the road I was walking was getting itself covered to a depth of six inches. Blimey did it come down. So a rilly rilly good test then.

With some trepidation I headed off on my fourth foray.
I reckon this time I was actually breathing water. That's how solid it came down.
Suffice to say my jacket was almost completely "wetted out" this time.

I was somewhat concerned by the results.
Until I inspected the interior lining of the jacket that is.
Not a drop of water had penetrated the interior. Dry as a bone it was.
Now that was a pleasant surprise, serving to restore my somewhat battered faith in the garment.
Whatever, I decided a further DWR coating was an essential prelude to setting out on my 2022 Camino adventures.
I off to my local outdoors shop to obtain the necessary. (I'd decided on Nikwax waterproofing fluid)
After damn near suffering a heart attack on being told the price, I was offered two alternatives.
1. Soak In - You bang the recommended quantity in the washing machine on gently setting, etc, etc.
2. Spray On - Just spray it on only the exterior of the garment.
It was recommended that I use the Spray On.
I never come across the Spray On before so I enquired as to why one would use it instead of the "Soak In."
The reason given was that the interior should not be coated as this would restrict the "breathability" of the jacket.
The breathability of the jacket was fine anyway. It's the first time I'd had pitzips, and let me tell you I wouldn't now buy a jacket without them. That's how good they are. I'd left them open thru all the testing and there was no sign of water entering. And they sure did keep the jacket noticeably cooler.
Whatever, I'm not totally convinced by the argument for Spray On, outside only.

So, the preceding is hopefully pertinent in obtaining your thoughts.
What do you reckon?
Soak or Spray?

Kind regards
Gerard

A review by a New York City Bicycle Courier said that the jacket's was leaking after a year of solid use. This being due to the jacket's lining failing after becoming completely crazed. Didn't say if he'd treated it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Gerald. Having walked three Caminos (Frances) I have been soaked to the skin on three occasions - maybe not too bad at an average of only one drenching per Camino but I sort of assumed that it was par for the course in torrential rain it could not be avoided. I had purchased what I thought was a suitable jacket and treated it with spray repellent to no effect. I am now going to buy a Gore Tex jacket and trousers as I don’t fancy the idea of a billowing poncho. What I have succeeded in doing is wrapping all my back pack kit in a bin liner to keep that bone dry at least.

I am envious of your impending Camino. Have a fantastic time!

I used the spray method on my Patagonia rain jacket (10 yrs old). I hung it on a hanger in the garage and let it drip on plastic; it dried in a few hours.

It is like new again re: water repellency.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It was recommended that I use the Spray On.
I never come across the Spray On before so I enquired as to why one would use it instead of the "Soak In."
The reason given was that the interior should not be coated as this would restrict the "breathability" of the jacket.
I was thinking that using the spray-on method made sense since you wouldn't want the fabric's and laminate's pores to clog up. I did an online search and came across two articles put out by REI a big US retailer of outdoor equipment. They said the DWR coating sticks to fibers. This means that after soaking the pores should remain unclogged and allow breathing. I think I'll use the soak-in when I refresh my rainwear.

The web pages I read were the second and third in this four article series (the latter one is more important for restoring a coating).

Last edited:
Sorry about the sticker shock of the price, but NikWax is the only thing we use. I'm not un-biased (we are friends of the retired CEO of NikWax), but it is simply the best rain-proofing product in the aftermarket space. We have used it for years on all of our outdoor running and work jackets, because it works. I even sprayed my old rain poncho (got one at REI; it has a couple of mid-thigh snaps on each side so it doesn't billow so much and it covers my 38L back pack). Never had a wet pack and I stayed relatively dry even when it was raining sideways for two days on the Meseta.
Buen Camino.

Hi Gerald. Having walked three Caminos (Frances) I have been soaked to the skin on three occasions - maybe not too bad at an average of only one drenching per Camino but I sort of assumed that it was par for the course in torrential rain it could not be avoided. I had purchased what I thought was a suitable jacket and treated it with spray repellent to no effect. I am now going to buy a Gore Tex jacket and trousers as I don’t fancy the idea of a billowing poncho. What I have succeeded in doing is wrapping all my back pack kit in a bin liner to keep that bone dry at least.

I am envious of your impending Camino. Have a fantastic time!
GERALD???
I would advise that I am not... nor do I ever wish to be... a GERALD!!! 🤣🤣🤣
Having now dispensed with that slight annoyance , I would advise that I consider your new choice to be somewhat admirable. For my requirements just unnecessary and over budget. Whatever, it will over time lose it's effectiveness and need treating (they recommend once a year preferably before you go off adventuring) with some DWR. Maybe at this stage you should try the Soak Inn.
Gerard

I used the spray method on my Patagonia rain jacket (10 yrs old). I hung it on a hanger in the garage and let it drip on plastic; it dried in a few hours.

It is like new again re: water repellency.
Thanks Phoenix. Glad it worked for you. Tks also for the garage tip.
Regards Gerard

I was thinking that using the spray-on method made sense since you wouldn't want the fabric's and laminate's pores to clog up. I did an online search and came across two articles put out by REI a big US retailer of outdoor equipment. They said the DWR coating sticks to fibers. This means that after soaking the pores should remain unclogged and allow breathing. I think I'll use the soak-in when I refresh my rainwear.

The web pages I read were the second and third in this four article series (the latter one is more important for restoring a coating).

Hey Rick.
Maybe it is that the DWR, in coating the inside lining, also gives that lining some protection against the crazing caused to it by constant and/or over vigorous use, as reported by the New York bicycle courier.
Regards Gerard

Sorry about the sticker shock of the price, but NikWax is the only thing we use. I'm not un-biased (we are friends of the retired CEO of NikWax), but it is simply the best rain-proofing product in the aftermarket space. We have used it for years on all of our outdoor running and work jackets, because it works. I even sprayed my old rain poncho (got one at REI; it has a couple of mid-thigh snaps on each side so it doesn't billow so much and it covers my 38L back pack). Never had a wet pack and I stayed relatively dry even when it was raining sideways for two days on the Meseta.
Buen Camino.
Hi Rex.
I think the price was an unfortunate side effect of the current shortage of space on cargo ships. As well as increasing prices, this has forced some of our importers to fly goods in, just to get goods on their shelves.. Again, a price increase which must be passed on.
Regards Gerard

WHATEVER! - THE CONCLUSION
I think my best best is to initially utilise the Spray-On, thereby preserving the integrity of the lining.
If this proves unsatisfactory (and I can still test at home) , I can then use the Soak-In.

Kind Regards and thanks to all,
Gerard

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.