Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easy Invierno Stages - 14 days - 22 km max

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
For those concerned about daily walking distances on the Invierno, there are plenty of options.

I walked this route in May 2023, and I wanted to keep well under 25 kms / day, which worked out well for me as there are quite a few large hills!

I took my time, over 14 days.

For more details you can see a daily blog here: https://robscamino.com/category/camino-invierno-to-santiago/

It starts at day 40, as it was part of a longer Camino.
All the accommodations and other options can be found on Gronze.
Some locations only had one option.
  1. Villavieja 16 (Municipal Albergue) - Amazing!!
  2. Las Medulas 12 (Hotel Medulo)
  3. Sobradelo 19 (Bar Mar)
  4. A Rua 20 (Hostal Niza)
  5. Solden 19 (appartment)
  6. A Labrada 22 (Pension Pacita)
  7. Monforte 20 (Hotel Cardinal)
  8. Vilarino 19 (Casa Rural Torre Vilarino)
  9. Penasillas 22 (Hotel Vilaseco - 2kms before village)
  10. Rodeiro 17 (Hostal Carpanteiras)
  11. lalin 22 (Hotel Pontinas)
  12. Bandeira 22 (Victorino Hotel)
  13. Lestado 20 (Rural Hotel Casa de Casal)
  14. Santiago 14

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very helpful information, thank you @Robo I will take a copy of those stages - we will be on the Frances from late October - and may divert at Ponferrada. If not, another time.

Very helpful information, thank you @Robo I will take a copy of those stages - we will be on the Frances from late October - and may divert at Ponferrada. If not, another time.

Once you look at a site like Gronze, you will see there are lots of options around stages / daily distances.

The blog will give you a good idea of what it's like, and if it suits you.
Text, videos, photos etc.

Blog: (text and daily video summary) https://robscamino.com/category/camino-invierno-to-santiago/
Photo Gallery. (Invierno starts here on day 40) https://robscamino.com/ponferrada-to-villavieja-gallery/

If I was to summarise some thoughts / impressions of the Invierno, it would be this. Obviously based on my own experience only........

1. Stunning scenery/landscapes.
  2. Quite a bit of road walking.
  3. Not many Pilgrims. (saw 6 in 2 weeks)
  4. Really nice places to stay.
  5. Often nothing available/open in villages during the day.
  6. You need to love solitude!
  7. The hills......lots of ups and downs. (take account when planning daily distances)
  8. The river valleys......did I mention the views?
  9. Services can be limited (plan water and snacks)
  10. Book accommodation a day ahead at least, as 'sometimes' options are limited
I used Gronze exclusively to plan distances, check profile maps and find accommodation.

I booked accommodation mainly by texting on whatsapp, and a couple I phoned and a couple I used booking dot com.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
yep, love Gronze! The Invierno has been on our radar for a few years and in that time more accommodation has sprung up. So, makes it even easier.

For those concerned about daily walking distances on the Invierno, there are plenty of options.

I walked this route in May 2023, and I wanted to keep well under 25 kms / day, which worked out well for me as there are quite a few large hills!

I took my time, over 14 days.

For more details you can see a daily blog here: https://robscamino.com/category/camino-invierno-to-santiago/

It starts at day 40, as it was part of a longer Camino.
All the accommodations and other options can be found on Gronze.
Some locations only had one option.
  1. Villavieja 16 (Municipal Albergue) - Amazing!!
  2. Las Medulas 12 (Hotel Medulo)
  3. Sobradelo 19 (Bar Mar)
  4. A Rua 20 (Hostal Niza)
  5. Solden 19 (appartment)
  6. A Labrada 22 (Pension Pacita)
  7. Monforte 20 (Hotel Cardinal)
  8. Vilarino 19 (Casa Rural Torre Vilarino)
  9. Penasillas 22 (Hotel Vilaseco - 2kms before village)
  10. Rodeiro 17 (Hostal Carpanteiras)
  11. lalin 22 (Hotel Pontinas)
  12. Bandeira 22 (Victorino Hotel)
  13. Lestado 20 (Rural Hotel Casa de Casal)
  14. Santiago 14
Thank you. I’ll be walking Invierno in a few days, coming from Camino Madrid. Peace!

Thank you. I’ll be walking Invierno in a few days, coming from Camino Madrid. Peace!
Such a great combination! I did the same route this past spring. (I am not sure how you are planning to join the two routes....After Sahagun, I spent two days on the CF and then a week on the Olvidado to get to Ponferrada to get a bit more quiet.) I hope you are having a great walk. Buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.
We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back