Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Invierno in March?

Mito

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2011, 2013, 2018) Roncesvalles-Astorga
CLeP (2013) Le Puy-?
GUD (2019) Dovre-Trondheim
Does anyone have experience on the Invierno in March? I'm planning to finally "finish" the Camino I began in 2011 from Astorga to Santiago next month. I tried in 2022 and ended up with Covid LOL. I want to avoid the Sarria to end busy-ness (although I'm guessing March isn't as bad as peak season). So I'm intrigued by the Invierno alternative. My concern is: will things be open in March? I'm not looking to walk 20 km/day. More like 15 on average. So I do need lodging and food not too spaced out. Thoughts? I ask because during March in the past some places were still closed even on the Frances. Thanks all!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I also doubt that the "crowds" in March will be too much to tolerate. However, if you're still interested in the Invierno, dig out a guide or look at Gronze to figure out the stages. You would probably have to use some work-arounds (shuttle back and forth with assistance from train or taxi, for example) to keep all your stages less than 15-20 km. You would be wise to confirm some of the places in advance. This is easier if you speak Spanish. There are threads here that explain some of the awkward stages.

Just walked Sarria to Santiago over the holidays. All the Xunta albergues were open and there were places to eat open in each town (even on a holiday). Not much open in between for coffee, etc.

A PS: A small fly in your ointment might be the date of Easter this year. 31 March - which is quite early. As numbers walking do tend to rise during Holy Week you may find that quite busy and might want to think about reservations if numbers do build up during that week.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A PS: A small fly in your ointment might be the date of Easter this year. 31 March - which is quite early. As numbers walking do tend to rise during Holy Week you may find that quite busy and might want to think about reservations if numbers do build up during that week.
Good to know...thanks!

Does anyone have experience on the Invierno in March? I'm planning to finally "finish" the Camino I began in 2011 from Astorga to Santiago next month. I tried in 2022 and ended up with Covid LOL. I want to avoid the Sarria to end busy-ness (although I'm guessing March isn't as bad as peak season). So I'm intrigued by the Invierno alternative. My concern is: will things be open in March? I'm not looking to walk 20 km/day. More like 15 on average. So I do need lodging and food not too spaced out. Thoughts? I ask because during March in the past some places were still closed even on the Frances. Thanks all!
I'm thinking about the Invierno in April to avoid the madden crowds after Sarria also and was thinking the exact same thing.

Yes! Mar 2019 Camino Mixto
We were really lucky and had excellent weather. My other half likes to keep distances between 15-20 km so you may find our stages useful. Lots of wildlife if you are an enthusiast.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.
We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back