Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking along the Invierno with a day bag.

Mr_Ross_Duncan

Via Gebennensis, Portuguese, Via Francigena, GR65,
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Gebennensis, Portuguese, Via Francigena, GR65,
Hi,
We are leaving in a couple of days to walk the Frances up to Ponferrada where we will continue along the Invierno.
We're then staying on in Europe for a couple of months before heading to Asia.
As such, we are bringing along extra luggage and just walking with day bags.
We considered just sending the bag to Santiago to collect at the end of the walk, however that would have meant we would need to walk with our big backpacks, as we've done before, and then we would be stuck with two large and unnecessary backpacks for the rest of the trip.
Instead, this extra luggage will be transported along the Frances by Correos up to Ponferrada.
From there we had hoped to continue to use Correos, however they don't transfer on the weekends which makes it somewhat useless.
I've found three contacts who, it seems, will provide the service along the Invierno.
Has anybody used and could offer any recommendations from the three contacts below?.
I've removed their contact details for pprivacy but happy to pass them on to anybody else who's thinking of walking along the Invierno with just a day bag.

Ubaldo Estevez
Manuel Mar
Noel (sorry, no last name just a number)
Thanks
Ross

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I used Manuel Mar recently on the Invierno. He goes all the way from Ponferrada to Santiago. Very reliable, charges €6 per bag/stage. I just WhatsApped him every evening with the next day's accommodation. Recommended.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used Manuel, too. I didn't use any kind of luggage transport service all the way from Somport to Ponferrada, but I opted to do it starting then because of the so-frequent need on the Invierno to carry water and food with you. Just make sure your daypack and general pack plans include a way to cart water and food because you can go really long stretches on that route without any. And be aware that when an app says there's food or a bar in a place, there might be only ONE, and it might not be open.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you!
One of the reasons I was looking for recommendations is that the contact I've had with Manuel, while speedy, has been pretty poor, mostly just one or two words in reply, things like yes, no and ok.
It seems, from the responses here that he's reliable though.
Good luck.

the contact I've had with Manuel, while speedy, has been pretty poor, mostly just one or two words in reply, things like yes, no and ok.
It seems, from the responses here that he's reliable though.
I think you have it right. Manuel may not be the greatest communicator in the world, but he seems to run his luggage transfer system quite reliably.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.
We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back