• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Eating along the way

RussGianni

Time of past OR future Camino
April2024
So, I hope to get a lot of feedback here. Walking from Tui to Santiago in about 6 weeks. What can I expect to spend on food and wine along the way. I’m a very open minded eater, a retired chef, and prefer simple foods, and wines. Not a huge eater! Starting my days at local hostels with provided breakfast, then will walk and pack o few snacks( suggest what I can put in my knapsack) and in the evenings will want to settle in and have a light dinner? Perhaps pilgrims menus? General cost? Just trying to budget myself

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That's a pretty quick walk (5 days I think?) through some lovely country. You can get by on under 30 Euros a day. The food tradition in Galicia is simple food, so you will be right at home. Tasty and simple doesn't mean that you can't get a hearty meal if you change your mind and decide you need to do some serious calorie replacement. :)

Breakfast at albergues, if served at all, tends to be sparse. I typically skip it and grab something along the way (I'm partial to the fresh squeezed orange juice and pastries). In Tui, you can stop by the Convento de Clarisas and try the homemade biscuits and pececitos (little fish symbol cookies) for a few Euros.

Lunch is easily found at the cafes along the Way. Especially in larger municipalities, you can find a range of food, from simple bocadillos to more elaborate fare.

For dinner, it's much the same in most places: You can go with a simple salad (typically iceberg lettuce, tomato and maybe some tuna) or try out the local cuisine. Galicia has a variety of seafood, meats, cheeses and some great soup (and that's coming from someone who is not really into soup).

Tapas are a thing in Galicia too and you could make that your dinner if eating light (or not!). When in Padron (or anywhere you can find them), sample the Padron peppers (pimentos de Padron). You should try the patatas bravas (crispy fried potatoes with a spicy sauce) and pulpo a la gallega (boiled then roasted octopus -- I love it!).

Buen provecho!

That's a pretty quick walk (5 days I think?) through some lovely country. You can get by on under 30 Euros a day. The food tradition in Galicia is simple food, so you will be right at home. Tasty and simple doesn't mean that you can't get a hearty meal if you change your mind and decide you need to do some serious calorie replacement. :)

Breakfast at albergues, if served at all, tends to be sparse. I typically skip it and grab something along the way (I'm partial to the fresh squeezed orange juice and pastries). In Tui, you can stop by the Convento de Clarisas and try the homemade biscuits and pececitos (little fish symbol cookies) for a few Euros.

Lunch is easily found at the cafes along the Way. Especially in larger municipalities, you can find a range of food, from simple bocadillos to more elaborate fare.

For dinner, it's much the same in most places: You can go with a simple salad (typically iceberg lettuce, tomato and maybe some tuna) or try out the local cuisine. Galicia has a variety of seafood, meats, cheeses and some great soup (and that's coming from someone who is not really into soup).

Tapas are a thing in Galicia too and you could make that your dinner if eating light (or not!). When in Padron (or anywhere you can find them), sample the Padron peppers (pimentos de Padron). You should try the patatas bravas (crispy fried potatoes with a spicy sauce) and pulpo a la gallega (boiled then roasted octopus -- I love it!).

Buen provecho!
All of this sounds perfect. I’m familiar with Spanish food, and the pulpo is probably something I would eat everyday. By chance, do you possibly remember any bocadillos that may be filled with calami? Like in Madrid?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
All of this sounds perfect. I’m familiar with Spanish food, and the pulpo is probably something I would eat everyday. By chance, do you possibly remember any bocadillos that may be filled with calami? Like in Madrid?
Sorry, calamari!

Calamari -- not that I know of, but that sounds like it would be amazing! Also, I have not been to Madrid, but I have heard good things about the food scene there.

Cafe, OJ, pastry before 9am, breakfast after 9; midday for a substantial lunch is to sit down for a menu del dia around 1+ or grab a bocadillo. Spanish dinners are late, generally after 9pm or you can grab a pizza in the late afternoon. Tapas is always around most of the day.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
the best laid plans for a regimen of breakfast, lunch and dinner can be thrown into irrelevance when your journey takes you past a traditional panaderia/pastelaria.. apart from the fresh bread (which you can sometimes see being shovelled in or out of the ovens) there will be an abundance of sweet pastries. There will often be a selection of savoury ones too. Typically fresh empanadas with a meat or fish (bonito) filling and sometimes other varieties, like mushroom. Maybe other pies or slices, like a spinach-filled pastry lattice..

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So, I hope to get a lot of feedback here. Walking from Tui to Santiago in about 6 weeks. What can I expect to spend on food and wine along the way. I’m a very open minded eater, a retired chef, and prefer simple foods, and wines. Not a huge eater! Starting my days at local hostels with provided breakfast, then will walk and pack o few snacks( suggest what I can put in my knapsack) and in the evenings will want to settle in and have a light dinner? Perhaps pilgrims menus? General cost? Just trying to budget myself
As a retired chef myself I suggest to bring a small, maybe foldable, cooking knife to occasionally prepare simple meals in albergues for you and other pilgrims. You can split the cost and often it’s the cheapest and tastiest option as a lot of restaurants a long the camino are not that great. Usually a pilgrim menu is between 12 and 20€ and includes 2-3 courses and wine. Quality of the meals varies, but don’t expect much great food.

I am sorry but I totally disagree with the comment "don't expect much great food." There are many excellent restaurants along the Camino. The menu del dia is world class quite often. I will however admit the pilgrim menu does lack some creativity but it is rare to find one outrageously expensive and it does normally include wine in the price.

Many of my dinners are included at the places I’m booked to stay. I’m not really counting on these meals to be fantastic, and I don’t know if these hotels provide me with a voucher to eat at a local place, but I will figure it out. I have no plans to do any food prep or cooking because I do that every day and I need a break! lol Any foods you recommend that I try or don’t miss?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back