Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Efren Gonzalez is BACK !!!

Morning Waters

Celtic Lass
Year of past OR future Camino
I just noticed that Efren Gonzalez is on the Camino Francis now and posting his Vlogs on You Tube about his travels. He is starting in Ponferrada, sporting a cute man bun and is his usual cheerful, passionate, loquacious self. For those of us who are aching to be on the camino it is a real treat to have his vlogs to watch. For newbies on the forum check him out, good production vlogs, some great drone footage, good information, lists his costs on the camino and is just fun to watch.
ENJOY!

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Faye Walker

Veteran Member
CF 2014, CF 2018, CP 2019 from Coimbra
He’s growing his hair to meet the Henro tradition for his intended/hoped-for Shikoku pilgrimage in the fall….
Just FYI.
I think he’s having terrible trouble finding WiFi from the San Salvador trail, but if you look up SummitXtreme on Instagra, he has gorgeous photos, including one of an Iberian wolf…

trecile

Camino Addict
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
I think he’s having terrible trouble finding WiFi from the San Salvador trail, but if you look up SummitXtreme on Instagra, he has gorgeous photos, including one of an Iberian wolf…
Funny how that wolf hasn't moved in the last two years since I took this picture! 😉

20190602_094804 (2).jpg

Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Lokitrz

He’s growing his hair to meet the Henro tradition for his intended/hoped-for Shikoku pilgrimage in the fall….
Just FYI.
Shikoku pilgrimage??? OOOHHHHH That is cool. I read a book called Neon Pilgrim, by Lisa Dempster about that. It sounds amazing too!!!

I just started watching Efrin on YouTube. He's so effervescent!!!

Published on Amazon
Guide to the 16 main caminos with maps, pictures, hyperlinks and other information.
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

Faye Walker

Veteran Member
Shikoku pilgrimage??? OOOHHHHH That is cool. I read a book called Neon Pilgrim, by Lisa Dempster about that. It sounds amazing too!!!

I just started watching Efrin on YouTube. He's so effervescent!!!
Oh, if you did that, you might like reading Gideon Krauss-Lewis’ memoir of walking both the Camino de Santiago *and* the Shikoku In close succession.

Rmarkob

April 2020 (postponed indefinitely)
I watched Efren's 2017 CF series (and many others) when I decided to do the Camino last year, and agree with everything you say, Morning Waters. I've since watched his Via Francigena, Camino Portugues, and several other Camino and hiking videos. He should have WAY more subscribers!

Faye Walker

Veteran Member
I watched Efren's 2017 CF series (and many others) when I decided to do the Camino last year, and agree with everything you say, Morning Waters. I've since watched his Via Francigena, Camino Portugues, and several other Camino and hiking videos. He should have WAY more subscribers!

I agree! In our household, we not only have two personal accounts subscribed to his channel, but also two “VIP” paid subscriptions. I think that might cost us something like $10 per month each, or 2 coffees each out at a cafe.

Efrén’s cinematography is outstanding, and he has developed his own narrative arc methods since he first did the Frances… (we enjoy seeing how his brain clicks long to make the visual story and the personal observations flow together to make a point out of each day’s walk).

In the downtime of the pandemic we’ve certainly watched other bloggers, but some are never able to communicate why they are out there (we tire of “Oh, this is pretty” and the sound of footsteps) or their cinematography is just *poor*….

So we find extremely good value in the dollars sent to Efrén.

I can *hardly* wait for him to get home from this round of walks so that he can start uploading the work. Obviously the wifi in the mountain ranges is patchy and slow at best, but his photos on the instagram account make me very hungry to see the Vlogs come out.

peregrina2000

Staff member
This may not be an adequate substitute for the Efren González fans, but Álvaro Lazaga is currently walking and posts a 3-5 minute video every day. He just walked the Primitivo/Salvador backwards and has been posting daily, so maybe the problem is the length of Efren’s videos, I don’t know.

His videos are more personal and directed to his friends and the people he meets, but they always bring the camino alive for me.

He’s currently on the Madrid, walking home to Benidorm after having gone to Santiago on some very unusual combinations of routes!

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

Phoenix

2014, CF: partial
2016, CF
2018, CF: partial
2019, CP
His progression from his CF in 2017 to his CP/CdN/CI in 2019 was incredible. Not that his CF videos were bad (in fact, very good), but his vlogging/storytelling/cinematography grew exponentially in those two years.

I've told my family I want a mini-drone for Christmas or birthday. 😁

keith duke scott

Planning on the pilgrimage 2015
I just noticed that Efren Gonzalez is on the Camino Francis now and posting his Vlogs on You Tube about his travels. He is starting in Ponferrada, sporting a cute man bun and is his usual cheerful, passionate, loquacious self. For those of us who are aching to be on the camino it is a real treat to have his vlogs to watch. For newbies on the forum check him out, good production vlogs, some great drone footage, good information, lists his costs on the camino and is just fun to watch.
ENJOY!
I love watching efren and his adventures. Makes me feel.like I'm back on the Camino whenever I watch his excellent posts vblog and general info. Highly recommended for old and young alike. Go efren!!!!

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Create your own ad

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I'm a huge fan of Efren's videos. My all time favourite has to be
where he sums up his whole CF in little more than 3 minutes. Amazing editing.
Yes, this is a favorite very clever recap of mine, too. Thanks for posting it!
Efren has a wonderful and delightful personality and his humor often makes me laugh.

Avromal

CF 2017, VF (Fidenza to Rome) 2019, CP 2019, VF (Besancon to Ivrea) 2020
This may not be an adequate substitute for the Efren González fans, but Álvaro Lazaga is currently walking and posts a 3-5 minute video every day. He just walked the Primitivo/Salvador backwards and has been posting daily, so maybe the problem is the length of Efren’s videos, I don’t know.

His videos are more personal and directed to his friends and the people he meets, but they always bring the camino alive for me.

He’s currently on the Madrid, walking home to Benidorm after having gone to Santiago on some very unusual combinations of routes!

Thanks Peregrina. I will have a look at Alvaro, as it sounds more what we like to see. I think Efren on his first CF was better watching than he is now. Since he has focused on monetising his YouTube channel, I’ve found he has become quite formulaic in his approach. His drone footage though, is certainly interesting.

One of the best hiking YouTube sites though, is Elina Osborne. She hasn’t done any of the Camino’s, but has done the Pacific Crest Trail and is working on producing her walk on the Te Araroa Trail she did last summer (Southern hemisphere). Her productions for YouTube are first class. elinaosborne.com.

lisaflora

ENJOY!
Agreed...he is awesome

Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I think Efren on his first CF was better watching than he is now. Since he has focused on monetising his YouTube channel, I’ve found he has become quite formulaic in his approach.
I thoroughly enjoy Efren's videos. They are entertaining and my OH who does not walk the Camino, finds Efren's videos interesting and they hold his interest because of his awesome personality, the professional quality of his videos, which include drone footage and his music choices. Many YouTubers make their living from their videos. I am not put off at all that among his many free offerings, he eventually asks for help to continue as it provides income.

I'm a huge fan of Efren's videos. My all time favourite has to be
where he sums up his whole CF in little more than 3 minutes. Amazing editing.
Oh, thank you, GRACIAS, merci for sharing this video. Today of all days I needed it. It's grey and cold and wet and stormy and we're locked down again Down Here, with no international travel in sight, but Efren's video lifted me a bit, even if it made me cry a bit, too.
I wasn't aware of his vlogs previously, but will check them out now, and look forward to better times ahead. 🙏

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Create your own ad

CarolamS

Oh, thank you, GRACIAS, merci for sharing this video. Today of all days I needed it. It's grey and cold and wet and stormy and we're locked down again Down Here, with no international travel in sight, but Efren's video lifted me a bit, even if it made me cry a bit, too.
I wasn't aware of his vlogs previously, but will check them out now, and look forward to better times ahead. 🙏
So glad it helped with your weather and lockdown. Maybe the Camino is still reaching out to you and helping? Very best wishes to you.

David Tallan

Veteran Member
If we are recommending others, as well as Efren: If you like Efren, you might like some of the others on this list:

Morning Waters

Celtic Lass
David-Thank you for including Jeannee James. I really enjoyed her "Alaskan Pilgrim" series of vlogs as she did her camino in 2018. Being a woman of certain age myself, I was inspired by her trials, tribulations and triumphs.

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

Wiebmer

Ning Wiebmer
2015 Frances, 500 miles. 2016 Via Francigena, 200 miles. 2018 Frances Burgos to Sarria.
I agree! In our household, we not only have two personal accounts subscribed to his channel, but also two “VIP” paid subscriptions. I think that might cost us something like $10 per month each, or 2 coffees each out at a cafe.

Efrén’s cinematography is outstanding, and he has developed his own narrative arc methods since he first did the Frances… (we enjoy seeing how his brain clicks long to make the visual story and the personal observations flow together to make a point out of each day’s walk).

In the downtime of the pandemic we’ve certainly watched other bloggers, but some are never able to communicate why they are out there (we tire of “Oh, this is pretty” and the sound of footsteps) or their cinematography is just *poor*….

So we find extremely good value in the dollars sent to Efrén.

I can *hardly* wait for him to get home from this round of walks so that he can start uploading the work. Obviously the wifi in the mountain ranges is patchy and slow at best, but his photos on the instagram account make me very hungry to see the Vlogs come out.
Thank you for this - we sent some financial support Efren's way, too. I love his attitude...and his images are epic!

gowhipple

Thanks Peregrina. I will have a look at Alvaro, as it sounds more what we like to see. I think Efren on his first CF was better watching than he is now. Since he has focused on monetising his YouTube channel, I’ve found he has become quite formulaic in his approach. His drone footage though, is certainly interesting.

One of the best hiking YouTube sites though, is Elina Osborne. She hasn’t done any of the Camino’s, but has done the Pacific Crest Trail and is working on producing her walk on the Te Araroa Trail she did last summer (Southern hemisphere). Her productions for YouTube are first class. elinaosborne.com.
Amazing. Just watched the prologue to the PCT. I can cancel my Netflix now! LOL

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings