• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ending on St. James Feast - Bad Idea?

Camino2014

Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
Piémont, Frances, Littoral, Norte, Ingles (completed) Baztan, St. Jaume, Portuguese (planned!)
Hello all!

I'm going to be doing the Camino next summer and I have written a rough draft itinerary and realize that I may be able to arrive in Santiago on July 25, the feast of St. James.... So my question is, is this a terrible idea? I've read horror stories of overflowing albergues and price inflation on the final stretch of the Camino from Sarria to Santiago. Since it's the Feast Day, I can only imagine the craziness!!!

On the other hand, it seems fitting to end my Camino on the feast day. Plus, the botafumeiro will be swinging in the Cathedral at the Pilgrim's Mass.

Anyway... to all experienced pilgrims: should I plan to arrive on the Feast Day or should I shift my plans a bit to avoid the large crowds?

Thanks to you all, and buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I always plan to arrive on the 24 or before to see the sound and light show on the cathedral! Crowded but always a room and something not to be missed! Have fun! :grin:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That was one of the most fantastic things I have ever seen!It even makes me think of rescheduling my Camino next year specifically for the feast day,in spite of the heat. Thank you so much for posting this video!!!

Re: Re: Ending on St. James Feast - Bad Idea?

SisterSimon said:
That was one of the most fantastic things I have ever seen!It even makes me think of rescheduling my Camino next year specifically for the feast day,in spite of the heat. Thank you so much for posting this video!!!
Your'e welcome! I think there is an official video out there with better quality. I think the plaza holds 5000, and to be there seeing and celebrating together is magic.

I suggest you "plan" on being there if you think this will ultimately fulfill your spirit. It is quite an incredible experience for sure.

Yes, there will be crowds of people on the Way during that time. I think when we look back at wonderful life experiences, such distractions can become hardly memorable compared to what we witness in ourselves.

If it is important for you and your walk, start and let the Camino reveal itself to you.

Even if you arrive a couple of days early, the energy is absolutely incredible.

¡Salud!
Simeon

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I will be walking with my family and we are hoping to arrive on the 25th as well. This thread has made me even more excited about arriving on St. Jame's Feast Day. It sounds like it will be a joyous and moving occasion! Rob

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Camino2014 said:

Anyway... to all experienced pilgrims: should I plan to arrive on the Feast Day or should I shift my plans a bit to avoid the large crowds?

Even if you shift your plans a bit by a few days, you will still encounter large crowds ;-) So I would just go for it and try to arrive on St.James Day if that is what you would like to do. Buen Camino! SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I planned my trip to arrive around the 24th before I knew about the Feast. I am looking very forward to the experience.

Hi, my daughter and I arrived in Santiago on 23 July 2004 which was a Holy Year. We had walked from SJPDP. The last 100 km from Sarria were absolute madness but I would not have missed it for the world. There were literally thousands of people walking together and it was like one great Spanish party. Everyone was good-natured and shared, laughed and talked together.
The army set up huge tents for us to sleep in and the schools also opened their gymnasiums so that we could put our mats down and sleep on the floor. This was the only time I have taken a sleeping mat on the Camino and it was needed.
Needless to say when we arrived in Santiago it was impossible to find accommodation and we ended up in a very expensive but lovely hotel. The cost completely blew my budget so my one piece of advice to you is to make sure you have a room reserved in Santiago well before you set out on your trip. Otherwise go, enjoy yourself, you will have a ball. The celebrations in Santiago are fantastic, colourful and very moving. I count being there for the Sunday feast day as one of the great experiences of my life.

Simeon !

""" if you think this will ultimately fulfill your spirit """

I love this statement and will remember it for myself when making any decisions about ANYTHING !

Thanks Annie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Camino 2014. I am not a pilgrim. I can't walk far because of a blocked artery in my leg. Just wanted to say that I have been to SDC on 6 different days and the botofumeiro was in action at the midday mass on each of those days.
Buen camino

bernhugo said:
... I am not a pilgrim. I can't walk far because of a blocked artery in my leg....

Just a quick note, being a pilgrim has nothing to do with how far you can or can't walk. It is a matter of heart, not body. At least in my experience, SY

I AGREE we are ALL pilgrims of one sort or another AND we are all on our Camino for the whole of our lives whether we know it, accept it or not :)

Annie

€83,-
The fiesta lasts for almost two weeks on both sides of the 25th. The feast day begins at midnight on the 24-25. The fuego sound and light show welcomes in the feast day and begins about 9:30 -10, but get there by 8:30 for a good spot. I have never had problems with accomadations. It's a blast!!

Annie Little said:
Simeon !

""" if you think this will ultimately fulfill your spirit """

I love this statement and will remember it for myself when making any decisions about ANYTHING !

Thanks Annie

Hi Annie,

This is very nice of you to post. Thank you for letting me know I've helped in some way. When faced with tough decisions, I think of such things. I wish I had followed this when I was younger and hesitant about taking chances when I already knew how happy I could be.

So yes, fulfill the spirit and elevate your soul.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

Thanks to all for your input!
I have ultimately decided to arrive on July 24 in Santiago and spend a few days enjoying the festivities, because hey, the Camino is called "de Santiago" for a reason, so why not finish it on his day?

Buen camino! :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back