• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Estella to Biarritz airport

Ann headon

Time of past OR future Camino
Did last 110 k in 2012
Hi there,
Just wondering if anyone can help re information on how to get from Estella to biarritz airport? Due to time restrictions we can only walk as far as Estella.
Is there a way without too many difficulties in getting to biarritz airport from Estella or if that's not possible from Pamploma?
Many thanks
Ann

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sorry I forgot to say the date . It is September 19th.
If there is a bus to pamplona we can stay the night of the 18th there and then continue to biarritz the next day.
However we have our flight at 1300 hours so could we get a bus from Pamplona to take us to Biarritz in time? Ann

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you have a flight at 13:00, given current security measures at EU airports you would be advised to be at the airport at least 2 hours in advance of your flight. Biarritz is tiny so more than that may not be necessary. The link I've provided should give you access to the timetables of the various bus companies involved.

As all three routes are via Pamplona you should not have to much difficulty finding one that meets your needs.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Rome2rio has several suggestions: https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Estella-Lizarra/Biarritz There appear to be three viable bus routes depending on date & time of travel.
La Estellesa goes from Estella to Pamplona and other places. Alsa covers all of Spain and more. Rome2Rio is a good source of ideas, but is often wrong, so always confirm with another source. At the bus station in Estella, you can also get info about schedules. And you can check times on the company's website.
http://alsa.es
http://laestellesa.es

Many thanks for information. The only thing I don't see timetable for the buses
La Estellesa has one bus on Mondays (that would be Sept 18th but timetables are shown only for one month in advance, so I checked for 11th) that leaves at 10:45 and arrives 13:00 at Irun Train Station where you can take a train to Biarritz the same day or stay overnight in much cheaper Irun. You can also get off the train at Puente Santiago (penultimate stop, that's the Spanish-French border) and take a short walk to Hendaye train station. The itinerary is: Estella - Puente La Reina - San Sebastian - Pasi-Antx - Renteria - Irun (Front Hendaya) - Irun (Tren). The price is 13,40€.

Alsa has only one bus per day from Pamplona to Biarritz that leaves 14:30 and arrives at 17:15. The cost is 30€.

I think first option is way better, faster and cheaper than going through Pamplona.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Estellesa bus goes from Estella to the bridge (Puente de Santiago) at the border. Bus goes here before it terminates at Irun Renfe station. From there walk to Gare d'Hendaye (500 m) and catch Transports64 bus #816 Euskadi Express to Biarritz Airport (hourly).

Alternatively take Estellesa to Pamplona 4 x daily. Take CONDA (ALSA) bus from Pamplona to San Sebastian (hourly). Connection is Pamplona bus station. From here the options are myriad.

-PESA bus from San Sebastian/Donostia to Airport Biarritz twice daily.

-ALSA bus on seasonally varying schedule to Airport Biarritz.

-Take Renfe Cercanias train from San Sebastian to Irun (every 20 min). Take taxi from Irun Renfe or Metro Donostialdea (Euskotren) from Irun Colon (every 30 min) to Gare d'Hendaye/Hendaia (3 km). Colon is on the other side of the tracks (bridge) and north side of the road from the north side of Renfe station. Then take the Transports bus # 816.

San Sebastian Bus station and Renfe train station are co-located.

-Or walk across the river and catch the Metro from San Sebastian Amara.

-Some Transports64 # 816 buses load at Irun Renfe station.

-The #816 bus runs hourly, however, you can also take the SNCF train from Gare d'Hendaye to Gare Biarritz and Chronoplus bus C from Gare Biarritz to Biarritz Anglet Airport.

You'll have to confirm schedules for any option listed here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bus from Estella to San Sebastian then Pesa to Airport Biarritz

LA ESTELLESA. S.A.

Estella San Sebastion
08.45 10.15
10.45 12.15
17.15 18.45
19.45 21.15

Pesa

DONOSTIA-SAN SEBASTIAN 08:15 BIARRITZ Airport 09:40

DONOSTIA-SAN SEBASTIAN 10:30 BIARRITZ Airport11:25

DONOSTIA-SAN SEBASTIAN 12:00 BIARRITZ Airport 12:55

DONOSTIA-SAN SEBASTIAN 14:30 BIARRITZ Airport 15:25

DONOSTIA -SAN SEBASTIAN 18:15 BIARRITZ Airport 19.10

www.pesa.net/pesa/en/horarios

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
Hi , I'm looking for some advice. I'm flying to Madrid and catching a bus to Burgos to walk to León. I'm using a light weight foldable bag for my rucksack & poles but I would rather leave the...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Buen Camino everyone. What is usually the plan once you reach Santiago. Can people walk back and stay at alberges on the return leg of the trip? Or do people just bus or train back to the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back