• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Experience at Parrochia Santa Cristina (between Belgioioso and Orio Litto)?

kmrice

Time of past OR future Camino
Podiensis 2016, Via Francigena 2018, '19, '22, '23
Has anyone stayed at the Parrochia Santa Cristina (between Belgioioso and Orio Litto)? Is it open?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Karl

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't think I stayed there. And yet I stayed in santa Cristina - I am not sure where. We are talking of 2018. I was having foot and shoe issues around that time! :eek:
But it's own website says it is open in the summer, except for two weeks in August.
But closed on Sundays and feast days!

Thanks so much for the help. I'll be staying there on a Tuesday but will have to make sure it is not a holiday of some sort!

Thanks again,

Karl

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Would you happen to know if Danilo is running his ferry these days? I had heard that water levels in the river had kept him from crossing at one point.

Would you happen to know if Danilo is running his ferry these days? I had heard that water levels in the river had kept him from crossing at one point.
Yes I believe he is back in business. Pierluigi will be able to confirm that for you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We are talking of 2018. I was having foot and shoe issues around that time! :eek:
Me too! It was on the day that I reached Santa Cristina that I started having problems with my right foot. Can't say that I have more than vague memories of the place.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks so much for the advice. I will contact them the way you suggested.

When are you walking?

hi...we will be walking in August this year. When are you going?

We'll be walking in May and June. We've been walking the Italian VF in sections: Siena to Rome in 2018, Sarzana to Siena in 2019, and then, after the Covid travel interruptions, Fiorenzuola d'Arda to Sarzana last year, and, this year , Viverone to Sarzana. Next year, God willing and the creek don't rise, we'll walk from Lausanne to Viverone.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes I believe he is back in business. Pierluigi will be able to confirm that for you.
Just heard back from Pierluigi - the ferry is not open due to low water levels. We were looking forward to it; hope the water levels rise!

Just heard back from Pierluigi - the ferry is not open due to low water levels. We were looking forward to it; hope the water levels rise!
I didn't cross on the ferry. My right foot was being troublesome and I didn't want to book with Danilo and risk not making it in time. Instead I walked down the river embankment and crossed by bridge. Not a bad day. And looking back afterwards I was quite glad to have made the whole journey on foot.

Last edited:
Is it open?

Excellent question.
I have emailed them "numerous" times never receiving a reply. (On both email addresses). I have called them "numerous" times and never received an answer.
Makes one wonder if they are still open....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Excellent question.
I have emailed them "numerous" times never receiving a reply. (On both email addresses). I have called them "numerous" times and never received an answer.
Makes one wonder if they are still open....
As a general principle (based on experience(!)) I would not expect a reply from email. :-(

I would try the +39 333 342 9685 number either to call or message on *Whatsapp*. There have been a couple of threads recently and there is a consensus (not only from me) that Whatsapp is the de facto default means of communication with accommodation in both Spain and Italy and beyond.

Let us know.

Tim

Last edited:
@Bob from L.A. ! @kmrice
I sent a Whatsapp to The Santa Cristina number today at 0820 and got a reply at 0840 confirming the ostello is open and saying it is necessary to book. I suspect this really means they need to know you are coming more than that they are short of places.

NOTE - their Whatsapp had the “automatic disappearing messages after 24 hours” feature turned on. I’ve seen this before. You can turn this off at your end and you should if you want a record of your booking!

On the principle of using Whatsapp to book…
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/using-whatsapp-to-message-albergues.79335/

Last edited:
I had tried to contact them through their Website but, while I got an automated email confirming my contact and saying someone would respond, I did not get any further email from them.

I sent them an iMessage this morning and received a reply immediately. I confirmed my stay and a while later they asked for our names. It appears they are available and very helpful by text message, although WhatsApp is probably better. Anyway, looks like we’re all set. Thanks for everyone’s help.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I had tried to contact them through their Website but, while I got an automated email confirming my contact and saying someone would respond, I did not get any further email from them.

I sent them an iMessage this morning and received a reply immediately. I confirmed my stay and a while later they asked for our names. It appears they are available and very helpful by text message, although WhatsApp is probably better. Anyway, looks like we’re all set. Thanks for everyone’s help.
That is good to hear! Great that you are set up!

I think iMessage is good as long as the other person has an iphone. Somehow there is often a difficulty with sending old fashioned SMS internationally. I think I am often not completely sure it has been sent. They can be quite dependent on the service provider.

I am not in any way promoting Whatsapp, and I know people have doubts about it, but it does work independently of the service provider, and cross platform. And 'free' if you stick to wifi when away from home.

As I understand it, iMessages are received on non-iPhones, but text messaging is expensive in Europe as people do not generally have the unlimited free text messages so common in the US. WhatsApp, which uses WiFi and does not require a cell carrier, is free, and, therefor, very popular.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl
Can't get into the official Via Francigena site. I've used it for years, but today all I get when I try to enter it is 'File not found". For example, if I enter...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.