• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Extra days to fill

Badgerbag

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués abril 2024
Hi, I am about to set off on the Camino Portuguese and intend to take the Variante Espiritual. Due to nothing but my own stupidity I realise that I have a spare 4 days between Pontevedra and SDC! I have made some bookings, accommodation and travel which I don’t want to try and change at this late stage. Has anyone any ideas how to fill those 4 days? I’ve thought of heading up the Central for a couple of days then retracing my steps back to rejoin the Espiritual, but I’m open to any suggestions.
Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You don't say where/when your existing bookings are, which may impact your extra day options, but you could go to SdC and then do 3 days to Finsterra - then take the bus back to SdC.

You could take an extra day with the Variante Espiritual. It is typically 2 days of walking plus the boat, but the first day from Pontevedra has a giant hill, and the second day is quite long (for me, anyway), but very beautiful.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, I am about to set off on the Camino Portuguese and intend to take the Variante Espiritual. Due to nothing but my own stupidity I realise that I have a spare 4 days between Pontevedra and SDC! I have made some bookings, accommodation and travel which I don’t want to try and change at this late stage. Has anyone any ideas how to fill those 4 days? I’ve thought of heading up the Central for a couple of days then retracing my steps back to rejoin the Espiritual, but I’m open to any suggestions.
Thanks!

So your problem is that even accounting for the Variante Espiritual, you’ve got a spare 4 days after you rejoin the Camino from the Variante at Padron? Sorry, just so that I’m clear…

Could you book some kind of tour to the Cies Islands? You would have to backtrack by bus or taxi probably, but I had the time, that is what I would consider.

So your problem is that even accounting for the Variante Espiritual, you’ve got a spare 4 days after you rejoin the Camino from the Variante at Padron? Sorry, just so that I’m clear…
Yep, I don’t know how I managed it, but… I’ve booked 2 nights 15-16 at Pontevedra and then 2 more 25-26 at SDC before I fly back. I’d thought 2 spend a night a Padrón and split the final stage, but I’ve still got days left.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yep, I don’t know how I managed it, but… I’ve booked 2 nights 15-16 at Pontevedra and then 2 more 25-26 at SDC before I fly back. I’d thought 2 spend a night a Padrón and split the final stage, but I’ve still got days left.

@J Willhaus has an intriguing idea about the Ciel islands. Otherwise I’d consider getting to SdC, and continuing on to Finisterre or Muxia, then bus back to SdC.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You could take an extra day with the Variante Espiritual. It is typically 2 days of walking plus the boat, but the first day from Pontevedra has a giant hill, and the second day is quite long (for me, anyway), but very beautiful.
Thanks, I hadn’t spotted that! Maybe break the journey at Combarro, and the following stage as well.

We took 5 days to walk from Pondevedra, with stops in
Combarro
Armentiera
Ribodumia
Escrivatude ( just past Padron)
Santiago
Was a nice leisurely walk.
You could bus out to Finnesterre, and the walk to Muxia ( taking 1 or 2 days) then bus back to Santiago. I loved that section

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We took 5 days to walk from Pondevedra, with stops in
Combarro
Armentiera
Ribodumia
Escrivatude ( just past Padron)
Santiago
Was a nice leisurely walk.
You could bus out to Finnesterre, and the walk to Muxia ( taking 1 or 2 days) then bus back to Santiago. I loved that section
That's a great idea also. Then group has great ideas! Did you stay at O Lugar de Jesus in Escrivatude? I love that place:)

Thanks very much everyone for the great ideas! What a problem to have, too much time en Camino , I can’t believe my luck. 😀

Thanks very much everyone for the great ideas! What a problem to have, too much time en Camino , I can’t believe my luck. 😀
Hi Badgerbag
In case it helps I asked a similar Q recently and got some great suggestions - search for post title Ways to extend coastal camino Portugues….I think that is the title? I will try to include a quote from the post….
Jen from🇨🇦

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Badgerbag
In case it helps I asked a similar Q recently and got some great suggestions - search for post title Ways to extend coastal camino Portugues….I think that is the title? I will try to include a quote from the post….
Jen from🇨🇦
Thanks!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back