• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fatima as a starting point ??

Pablo Mac

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances SJPP to SDC Sept 2012
Camino Frances Astorga to SDC Sept 2014
Camino Del Norte Irun to Santander Sept 2015
Caminho Portugese Barcelos to SDC Sept 2016
Camino Del Norte Santander to SDC (2017)
Has anybody walked from Fatima ? Is it even possible ?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are people who are doing it

from Lisbon of from Porto follow the blue arrows and you'll arrive in Fátima.
Fátima pilgrims walk the shortest way so sometimes you see them walking in their fluorescent safetyvests ,on sneakers and a light daypack at the side of the motorway.
The caminho leads more through the scenic landscape.
Several times when we spoke to the local people they asked us if we went to Fátima and were slightly disappointed when we told them we walk to Santiago.
Last May we were in Fátima as tourists after our camiño Ingles we walked. To us it was big, big ,big.
Not our place so we did not stay for longImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1405156657.432093.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1405156682.563988.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1405156704.474913.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1405156727.282400.jpg

Thankyou Albertinho :)

Its merely a desire at the moment , but its nice to know that it could be done . I would like to start in Fatima and finish in Santiago . My next way will be the Vdlp God willing .

Pablo

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You're welcome

It is quit a job to get there
There are trains but the station is far away from the place to happen.

I cannot tell you how to get there-we arrived there by our car and we stayed at a campingsite near Tomar.
Maybe my good friend Diogo knows how to cope with that. He is Portugese and maybe he had been there before. Send him a conversation personal message. diogo92. You find him very often on the Portugese forum

On the forum you definitely find some answers how to get from Fátima on to the Caminho. I thought you have to find your way direction Ansião from there.
Back to Tomar should be a solution and continue from there but this is a detour. By the way Tomar is worthwhile seeing. The Convent of Christo is beautiful

Anyway. Bom caminho

Where there is a will there is a WAY , pardon the terrible pun :) . I look forward to figuring it out .

Cheers

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for this thread! I'm thinking about my 3rd Camino (haven't yet started the 2nd!), and am thinking about the Portuguese. Was in Portugal and at Fatima almost 30 years ago, and would like to return -- and walking thru this time, at this point in my life seems the thing to do. So am grateful for the Portuguese forum!
Terry

Has anybody walked from Fatima ? Is it even possible ?

It's very easy for a person to reach to Fatima. Just take the Express Bus from Lisbon. Almost every bus, that goes to northwest Portugal stops in Fatima (Porto, Braga, Ponte de Lima, etc, etc).

Just pay attention that the Caminho Portuguese doesn’t really go through Fatima. The markings from Lisbon untill Porto/Braga, are based on a 15 or 16th century description of a monk who has done that Caminho. The miracles in Fatima only happened in the last century. You will still have the markings, but it's always considered a detour.
I advise you if possible, to contact either Via Lusitana (http://www.vialusitana.org/) or Associação de Amigos dos Caminhos de Fátima (http://www.caminho.com.pt/), for better information’s about the way and where you can sleep. I believe that it's still a 2 or 3 day detour, untill you rejoin again the Central Caminho.

Best Regards
Diogo

Fatima on a busy day is quite moving and indeed lovely, but as you can see from the pictures above from a day with no festival etc, it can be eerie, bordering on frightening, recalling the unpleasant government and person who built the site. On such a day, the monumental statues and ornamentation take on a domineering overwhelming feeling offering little comfort. The great space around has all the attraction of a football pitch 45 minutes after the last whistle. The souvenir stands with touts and hawkers do not add to the atmosphere-on a busy day they are not needed a quiet day it is their only means to survive. I walked on from Fatima to Bathala before turning north to rejoin at Coimbra, a dangerous decision due to the traffic – the Portuguese people are some of the kindest and most welcoming people you will ever meet just don't give them the steering wheel of a car. By all means visit Fatima but plan well and arrive on a celebration day.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Fatima on a busy day is quite moving and indeed lovely, but as you can see from the pictures above from a day with no festival etc, it can be eerie, bordering on frightening, recalling the unpleasant government and person who built the site. On such a day, the monumental statues and ornamentation take on a domineering overwhelming feeling offering little comfort. The great space around has all the attraction of a football pitch 45 minutes after the last whistle. The souvenir stands with touts and hawkers do not add to the atmosphere-on a busy day they are not needed a quiet day it is their only means to survive. I walked on from Fatima to Bathala before turning north to rejoin at Coimbra, a dangerous decision due to the traffic – the Portuguese people are some of the kindest and most welcoming people you will ever meet just don't give them the steering wheel of a car. By all means visit Fatima but plan well and arrive on a celebration day.
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1405455508.737714.jpg

I agree with you @ scruffyas far as Fátima concerned

I drove my car and caravan in almost whole Portugal last May and a part of June but remarkable is that there is hardly any traffic on motorways and national roads. Very quiet and relaxing
andcertainly not agressive as most people think. Our Dutch drivers are more agressive especialy in the big cities.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1405455539.479133.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1405455539.479133.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Yes walked from Lisbon and got mixed up with the Fatima route. Glad we did. The service and blessing was amazing with people arriving crawling on their knees. I think there were 100,00 people there. Special date. Walked on to Santiago after. Very glad of the diversion. We slept on school classroom floors and at bomberos, that is the fire stations. All free but the floors were hard. So many memories. That was in May 2012.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back