• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fave Accomodation from Sarria to Santiago. Also, a question of days.

Hal

Time of past OR future Camino
si
I have 9 days to walk and I am doing so in order to get a Compostela for a relative. Because I will be walking with a day pack and will be sending my bag ahead, I am pre-booking accomodation and can hopefully not have to sprint for a bed but enjoy the road.

As I will be missing the more scenic parts of Spain, I don't want to miss out on Samos I will start from there rather than Triacastela or O Cebreiro and (hopefully?) will have a spare day or two to explore Santiago and Finisterre or Muxia.

I have looked at many posts, lists and blogs and have a reasonable idea of where to stay but I want some personal ideas. The last 100km is the least romantic leg, so with that in mind, what are the towns and places to stay you most enjoyed post-Sarria? Your favourite meal or view church or tree?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Been a long time (2002) since I stayed there but for setting I really enjoyed the albergue at Ribadiso da Baixo. Passed by last year at lunchtime when walking the Primitivo and had a good meal at a restaurant next door. Still a pretty spot but very busy these days. Probably true of all the final 100km though.

I really enjoyed Albergue Casa Domingo just past San Xulian (the alberque with the huge shell outside you can't miss it). Also Albergue San Anton in Melide was nice too.

Davey

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
What type of accomodation are you intending to use? And what price level?

Hey @Robo

I have the budget for 60 euros a day. Due to dietary issues I primarily live on sachets of protein powder for shakes in such situations, so I should be able to spend a minimum on extra food (wine and coffee on the other hand...) ;)

Hey @Robo

I have the budget for 60 euros a day. Due to dietary issues I primarily live on sachets of protein powder for shakes in such situations, so I should be able to spend a minimum on extra food (wine and coffee on the other hand...) ;)

Hi Hal

You will have no problems with 60 Euros a day, you will be able to have a real comfortable time on that, and treat yourself to some hotel accommodation too if you wish. I walked on a budget of 30 Euros a day and was very comfortable on that (and I drink lots of beer)!

Buen Camino!
Davey

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think my two favorite places to stay back in 2012 was my first and last stop, neither of them do I remember their names. The first one was about 12 to 14 km from Sarria and was new at the time. Had a little rustique stone bar near the Camino and a modern dormitory up the hill. It was great for my first night. Laundry, wifi and a huge glass window to watch other pilgrims and the sunset. Maybe someone else will know where it was, I'd like to know too.

Then there was my stay in Santiago. Not the nicest, but the location was literally on an alley off of the main cathedral and main shopping street in old Santiago. The walls were like 4 foot thick, wooden shudders with iron hardware and probably hundreds of years old. The bells went off all night, but it was super cool being right where everything was and for only about 15 Euros. Wish I could be more helpful on this one, but again, maybe someone can chime in and figure out where the heck this is.

I think my two favorite places to stay back in 2012 was my first and last stop, neither of them do I remember their names. The first one was about 12 to 14 km from Sarria and was new at the time. Had a little rustique stone bar near the Camino and a modern dormitory up the hill. It was great for my first night. Laundry, wifi and a huge glass window to watch other pilgrims and the sunset. Maybe someone else will know where it was, I'd like to know too......

This might be the Casa Cruceiro in Ferreios. Here is their web.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I enjoyed the albergue & restaurant at Mercadorio, about 6 kilometers before Portomarin.

Here are two of my favorite places west of Sarria with good hearty food.

Down the hill from Ferreios and next to the church/cemetery the restaurant O Mirallos is a favorite stop. Their great simple food with kind service is hard to beat. They are open every day, serve breakfast from 07:00 and offer a small dorm for those in need.

Years back in 2010 I stopped in the private Casa Garcia in Gonzar. It was late November and cold walking with frozen mud on the path through the wood. The private albergue had great food in an elegant renovation with slate floors, white walls and wonderful single beds clad in crisp linen. However NO heat except sub floor pipes in the loo. Guess where I slept? On that heated loo floor since there were no other pilgrims but plentiful blankets for topping my sleeping bag!

Last edited:
Here's a recommendation for a place that's a few km off the camino between Portomarin and Palas de Rei. In May last year when my mother and I were walking, we were going very slowly and couldn't make it all the way to Palas de Rei. Unfortunately all the places we tried in between were full, so I got onto Booking.com and looked further afield. Casa Roan is about 5km off the camino, and if you are staying with them they will pick you up from the camino and drop you back again the next morning in the same spot (for no charge). We had them pick us up from Ligonde. Their rooms are from 58 Euro for a double, which is not bad if two of you are sharing, and the place is a beautiful old farmhouse. The dinner we had there was one of our best meals in Spain. Thee was no menu/carta - we just ate what they were preparing that night. From memory I think the meal was 20 Euro, more than the standard menu peregrino but still imho amazing value. Platters of cold meats and vegetables (my first experience of pimientos de Padron!), an amazing goat meat stew, wine and dessert. And a good breakfast the next morning. Lovely, welcoming family who own and run the place. They're on the edge of a tiny village (Sestelo) surrounded by woods and farms - really beautiful. Highly recommended.

Also Casa Morgade, at Morgade between Sarria and Portomarin - another beautiful old farmhouse with a few double rooms and one (I think) dorm with bunks. Popular bar downstairs that's busy with passing pilgrims through the day, and then by late afternoon you're left to enjoy the quiet (or we were last May) along with the cows and the friendly family dog.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Albergue Turistico Salceda, about halfway between Arzua and Pedrouzo and just off the camino, welcomed, housed in superior pension accommodation, and cooked for and fed myself and five other pilgrims. The day before, they had officially closed for the season, so opened just for us. The food was great and the accommodation was very welcome, as the sun was setting (mid-November) and the other nearby albergues had also closed for the season and were not willing to reopen. Our host cooked for us and only charged 20 euros each for a bed in a three bedded room, including the menu peregrino. They take reservations through Booking.com . As far as I can tell, you cannot book an albergue bed there through Booking.com, but Brierley provides a telephone number (981 502 767) to call to book.

The Albergue Turistico Salceda, about halfway between Arzua and Pedrouzo and just off the camino, welcomed, housed in superior pension accommodation, and cooked for and fed myself and five other pilgrims. The day before, they had officially closed for the season, so opened just for us. The food was great and the accommodation was very welcome, as the sun was setting (mid-November) and the other nearby albergues had also closed for the season and were not willing to reopen. Our host cooked for us and only charged 20 euros each for a bed in a three bedded room, including the menu peregrino. They take reservations through Booking.com . As far as I can tell, you cannot book an albergue bed there through Booking.com, but Brierley provides a telephone number (981 502 767) to call to book.

We stayed there too! I second this recommendation - really kind and welcoming people. And one of my favourite Camino memories was sitting in their courtyard in the sun, during the European Champions League final (Barcelona v Juventus), hearing shouts and cheers echoing around from the houses in the village, and then our delightful hostess shouting loudest of all and dancing around for joy at the result! I'm really not a football follower at all, but it was such an infectiously happy moment!

Thank you for all these suggestions. It looks like, even in the most "maligned" segment of the Camino, that many pilgrims can find the odd place of gratitude and happiness.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back