• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favorite books on, about, surrounding, or concerning the Cam

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Greeting from Jerusalem
There have been so many books published on the subject of the Camino, literally hundreds of personal impressions of the Hape Kerkeling-Shirly McClain-Martin Sheen-Gees Nooteboom type, others focusing on art and architecture : “The Romanesque Churches of Spain” by Peter Strafford, “The Road to Santiago” by Michael Jacobs, even “The Gothic Choir-stalls of Spain” by Dorothy and Henry Kraus; some historical accounts of pilgrims and pilgrimage: The Age of Pilgrimage” by Jonathon Sumption (a personal favorite); “The Pilgrims Guide to Santiago” by William Melczer; “The Pilgrimage to Santiago” by Edwin Mullins and I have many more. My absolute favorite and one which, despite its bulk, weight, and size, was carried twice along the Camino Frances is “The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago” by David M. Gitilitz and Linda Kay Davidson. “The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago” is a comprehensive explanation presenting the history, art, architecture, and importance of every village, town, and city crossed along the Camino. Anyone who has entered the cathedral in Leon or Burgos and walked out again totally disorientated, confused, and otherwise lost due to the overwhelming complexity, beauty, and richness will appreciate this book. The surprise and richness of even small village churches are also outlined– the gold retablo of the church in Navarette for example-retablo? Read the book and discover for yourself but if you are in Navarette do put the coin in, you must in order to illuminate the interior.
I would love to hear from other people about their own favorite books

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Nobody dares say anything in case Sillydoll logs on. :)

:lol: Scruffy, I second your recommendation - to me this is the Camino 'bible'!
Some idiots have posted reviews on Amazon saying that it is too heavy for a guide book, that it is useless because it doesn't give daily stages or reccommend accommodation and that it is too scholarly! DAH!! It doesn't pretend to be a guide book - it is a Cultural handbook second to none! History, folk-lore, art, architecture, flora and fauna, geography etc etc. On their many searches for all things Jacobean they and their pilgrim students went off the Camino trail and documented anything and everything remotely connected with the old paths.
Scruffy, I have got two copies. One has been torn apart as I carry sections with me when I walk different parts of the Frances, or Aragones. When I take small groups on three sections of the Camino frances I carry the three relevant sections of the book with me.
One of Linda's best tips is to take a small pair of binoculars with you so that you can see the capitals on those soaring columns!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Presently reading " Six Months Walking the Wilds (of Western Europe, the long road to Santiago" It's a very good read

Here's a video Interview with the author and composer Steve Cooper http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0MXJUOYkGg

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back