• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favorite food to pack?

AZgirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2012 , via de la Plata 2014
Madrid/frances Sept/Oct 2017
Next : mozarabe 2021
Hi everybody,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, or if there is already one.

Any way I think for my next camino Via de la plata I would like to eat more from the supermarket, so I could eat on my on schedule without worrying how far the next town was. And more fruit.

Just curious what people prefer especially if it something you maybe wouldn't normally consider, or Spanish.
At home I like tortillas/wraps especially.

Burn Camino,
Ash

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Your issues are

Things that don't need to be kept cold.

Things that aren't too heavy for the energy they give

Things that don't require much effort to get ready.

Bread,hard cheese,tin of tuna all work. If you like them. That's the real issue. The best choices are the things you enjoy.

Obviously you can also look at all the snack foods. Chocolate for example is good.

Dried fruits and nuts are also good choices. Light and high calorie.

Little jars of Pate. Pretty readily available.
Good for a snack on crackers.
Regds
Gerard

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sardines, ham, bread, cheese and those ready to eat salads (for example Italian salad and tuna salad), and vino tinto of course. These you can find in every shop.

I brought a good homemade müsli with lots of nuts and healthy energy. Whenever I found a natural yoghurt I bought it and then I put müsli in it as breakfast or good snack meal.

Chocolate a la taza. You get humungous bars of it for a couple of euros. It's solid chocolate used for making drinks and has a higher cocoa content so won't melt in your bag as easily. Mine stayed solid on the Salvador in summer despite 30c temps.

Potato tortilla. A more solid lump of carb is hard to imagine. Cheap usually.

I never carry bread. Too little return for the space it takes up. Goes stale quick too.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When I did not want to eat on the economy or did not like what was being served at a menu del dia, pilgrims' menu, or in a group meal situation, I had a fall-back plan. In April - May it worked well without refrigeration and would likely work at other times of the year June - September excepted.

I would go to a supermarket in a large town or city, St,. Jean, Pamplona, Logrono, Santo Domingo, Carrion, Burgos, Leon, Ponferrada, etc. There I would buy a loaf of multi-grain whole wheat bread. I think they use the term "integral" to describe multi-grain - it seemed that way. I would also buy several packages of sandwich sliced, semi-firm cheese and Jamon "York." This is the local term for almost any pre-cooked delicatessen-style ham already sliced. It looks like what we call in the U.S. "boiled ham." I would buy enough cheese and meat to place two slices of each on each "sandwich."

Returning to my place of abode or some other suitable location, and after washing my hands well, I removed the bread from the plastic bag - saving the bag. I then "reconstructed the loaf of bread as prefabricated, stacked "boccadillos." However these ham and cheese sandwiches were conveniently sized and would not need refrigeration for the several days it might take to consume or share them. The pattern went like this: bread, 2 cheese slices, 2 ham slices, bread, bread, 2 cheese slices, 2 ham slices, bread, bread, etc. When done, you have perhaps 10 -12 pre-made ham and cheese sandwiches in a resealable plastic bag, depending on how much you buy, the loaf size, and how many sandwiches you consumed while doing all this "work.".

To close the bag, I would compress the "stack" slightly to remove excess air (not intending to create a vacuum)and seal the bag with a twisty tie. Then I placed the entire sandwich assembly into a very lightweight sil-nylon stuff sack. The sack then attached to the side of my rucksack - the shady side (north or right side walking towards Santiago) - using the upper compression strap.

This provided health(ier) food of my choosing and having quality that only I was responsible for. At times, I also carried several pieces of fresh fruit in a similar stuff sack on the "sunny side" of my rucksack. Voila! A mobile picnic! Truth be told, I also carried several "tubes" of the famous Galletas Maria (cookie - biscuit). I got addicted to them. Extra tubes of biscuits got stuffed in my pack's side mesh pockets.

Yes, I know it must have weighed an extra kilo or more all in. However, consider the costs saved, the convenience gained, and reduction of stress when you find out the alburgue does not serve a meal and there is no place to eat in town, or that they have nothing you are prepared or able to eat. Personally, I have a finicky stomach and GI system. So, discretion is ALWAYS the better part of valor for me.

This is a flexible, and portable method for maintaining your eating habits. You can, of course, vary the sandwich composition as you choose. Just bear in mind temperature, and time. Do not cause yourself unnecessary stomach distress.

It worked for me. It might work for you. It will not work for everyone.

That said, and as always, I hope this helps someone...

Last edited:
Great question. I like to travel light but I also like to have food with me. I ate out of markets probably more than I ate pilgrim's meals at cafes and restaurants. I tried to find foods that came from close by. I often bought a baguette from the bread man who drove around in the mornings selling fresh bread and pastry (you'll know them by the car horn), it was usually still warm. I found local cheeses, vegetables (tomatoes, peppers) and canned fish. And of course there is the Jamon. Depending on where it was from or the quality it could be pricey but soooo good. But I also would buy 2 or 3 small cans of corn... Many of the little shops in small villages sold funny bulk candies. I figured i'm walking so why not. If there was a kitchen in the albergue I could hard boil some eggs and they could last 2 or 3 days. My big quest was Peanut Butter. After finishing my Camino I travelled to Salamanca and on to Sevilla. I think I finally found PB in Sevilla.
Have fun and try the weird and wonderful... Of course I draw the line at pulpo and shell fish. I grew up on an island and anymore I would not touch shell fish with a 10 foot pole. I don't eat octopus because I refuse to eat anything more intelligent than I am. LOL.....
Buen Camino

A jar of pimentos in light oil and brine with the two cloves of garlic in the bottom - the whole pimentos in a jar are more expensive , but hey , you going to chew them up anyway - a jar will cost about €0.80 - only thing is the jar very often leaks after being opened.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you can't find peanut butter (or other nut butter) they always have nutella - slather that on some bread with thick slices of banana and it will keep you going for ages - until you stop for some of that lovely kiwi cake you can get at Lidls.... I do eat loads of veg/salad at mealtimes - really! But portable energy-rich food is important - bananas, dates, chocolate, fruit cake (apparently you can get the dried fruit sans cake...) My husband won't go anywhere without a few tins of mackerel or sardines up his sleeve - disgusting if you ask me...

I always carried food with me, usually bread, cheese, sunflower seeds, cashews or other nuts, and some kind of chocolate bar.

Hi everybody,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, or if there is already one.

Any way I think for my next camino Via de la plata I would like to eat more from the supermarket, so I could eat on my on schedule without worrying how far the next town was. And more fruit.

Just curious what people prefer especially if it something you maybe wouldn't normally consider, or Spanish.
At home I like tortillas/wraps especially.

Burn Camino,
Ash
I always carried chocolate milk, it was an energy booster.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
These suggestions are wonderful - and timely. I am leaving Tuesday for my camino, and have been worried about carrying food with me, as I am a diabetic. I am much more worried about low sugar readings than high ones and must carry food with me. Thanks everyone for the great suggestions.

Very important for the diabetics to carry food. Several friends I have walked with were diabetic - they carried granola-type fruit nut mix, fruit, and choc bars for emergencies...

Can I bring my favourite packages snacks from Canada if I put them unopened in my checked baggage

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.