• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

February.

stubbs

Hey,
My brother and I will be walking the camino in February. We are coming from the US. I'm not sure we are ready for the harsh weather of the walk. Any suggestions on clothing would be appreciated. We are trying to pack light, but we want to stay warm.

We will be starting in St. Jean Pied de Port. :)

Thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Layers.

You stay warm from trapped warm air inside insulated layers. Water is the enemy of warmth, so wicking moisture from the skin is critical. Cotton retains moisture, so it is a poor fabric choice.

Start with long underwear or t-shirt and underpants, polypropylene or silk. Non-cotton pants next, and a long sleeve synthetic shirt. Then a fleece top. The outside layer should be waterproof, but breathable. Top it all with a poncho or rain suit. Don't forget gloves, hat, and face/neck protector. Your feet will stay warm with polypro liner socks (merino wool blend also is good) and medium to heavy wool or wool-blend hiking socks inside sturdy shoes or boots.

Walking will warm you up on most days, so shed layers as the day progresses. Walk at a pace that prevents perspiration. Think of the Inuit; when they detect sweat, they stop all activity until they cool down. Water is death in the Arctic.

Have fun. You may end up with mild weather.

As is usually the case...Falcon is spot on!

I'd also suggest you purchase a temperature gauge to attach to your pack. I've found that when the temp is 40F/4C...I can start off with just my walking shirt and light fleece vest. Folks that begin with jackets, etc..usually remove it only after they begin to heat up. Walking briskly warms you up.

We are all different...experiment with what you have...then adjust.

Buen
Camino

Arn

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am not too well informed about all these fancy clothes, but iIdo remember the wise words a Belgian peregrino once told me on my first camino -- if you're comfortable when you start walking in cool/cold weather, you have too many clothes on. I follow that advice religiously whenever it's cold on the camino and feel quite superior when everyone else has to stop in about 15 minutes to take off a layer or two.

I don't know anyone who has walked in February, so I hope you will post and let us know how it goes.

Buen camino, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Laurie, if I start cold I stay cold, burn energy and get tired. It all depends on how you cope with and perceive 'cold'. I find it much better to start just warm enough and remove a layer when appropriate.
Like Falcon it might be a good excuse to stop. Café con leche anyone?
I find that it also depends on terrain, wind chill etc and whether I have had that cafe con leche.... :)

Stubbs, I'm a winter pilgrim. Some good advice here re layers. My personal approach is not to carry clothing in cold weather, when you can wear it, so treat everything as a layer. Kind of obvious, but it took me a while to work it out - from Le Puy to Pamplona, actually. Apart from one pair of briefs and a hanky, nothing is "spare".

As far as stopping goes...that's about all I do. Certainly, it's all I'm good at. My harshest critics would agree.

What else? I avoid buttons or anything hard to manipulate or anything that can malfunction. I try to don my Altus jacket in advance of the rain. Consider mitts rather than gloves: it's surprising what you can't get on and off if your hands get both wet and cold.

Really, you'll be fine.

Rob

Thanks guys! I am slowly getting ready. I hope the weather will be somewhat mild as you said. Either way its part of the journey. I will consider getting some mittens. I think i have just about everything now. I am trying to keep a light load.
Any suggestions on hygiene? I was planning on buying soup once over there. I read that it would be more expensive though.
Also, I am curious how many other pilgrims there will be this time of year. Are we going to run into a lot of others? I don't mind the solidarity, but it would be nice to meet some fellow travelers.

peace

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello!

I will be walking in February my first Camino, still deciding the exact day of departure from St. Jean PDP. When are you going to start and from where? I may see you somewhere!
Ana

stubbs said:
Thanks guys! I am slowly getting ready. I hope the weather will be somewhat mild as you said. Either way its part of the journey. I will consider getting some mittens. I think i have just about everything now. I am trying to keep a light load.
Any suggestions on hygiene? I was planning on buying soup once over there. I read that it would be more expensive though.
Also, I am curious how many other pilgrims there will be this time of year. Are we going to run into a lot of others? I don't mind the solidarity, but it would be nice to meet some fellow travelers.

peace

Stubbs and Ana, I'm excited for you, especially since I did much the same thing last year. If you can't go over the Pyrenees via the pass, remember that the Valcarlos route is very enjoyable. There'll be other pilgrims - unless, like me, you start out around midday and miss the peak!

Stay dry, eat lots of garlic soup and, like I said, you'll be fine.

Rob

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.