• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Feedback on the Norte: Late June - Aug

Mugatu

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Finisterre, Muxia (2018)
Camino Frances or Norte (2019 , June 27-Aug 8)
For those that have walked during these months, I’d love to hear your perspectives and experience on weather and crowd size. Seems like the majority of those who do the CN start well before this time of the year or just after it.

I’ve been referencing tutiempo.net on weather, and it seems last year was a wet one during these months.

I’ll be on trail by 28 Jun - Aug 7

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Last year I started on 04. of July from Irun. It was quite nice weather up to 19. of July. Only little bit rain two or three mornings. Then it started to rain and I had to give up my Norte in Santander due to my health problems.
I then walked French way from Burgos up to Santiago de Compostela without much problems and no rain.
So the rest of the Norte I don't know, was it wet or not.
This year I am giving the Norte another try in August. And I hope the weatherman will support me this time.

Hi Mugatu,

I've walked the Norte/Primitivo a few times in the range of that timeline, as that's when we have our school summer holidays and it's the easiest time to get a group of students on the road. We'll be back out there again this summer, starting from Irún on June 26.

Crowds are at their peak then and there can be a particular crunch in the first week through the Basque Country as there are a lot of people doing a short holiday. On the plus side, a number of summer-only albergues also open at that time, to help accommodate the masses. It's tight, but workable, especially if you avoid the major pinch-points.

It's hard to generalize from the past with great confidence on the weather front, but my experience has been that it's quite pleasant on the coast, often fairly cool in the morning, before heating up in the afternoon. It can get very warm in the afternoon, but the cooler evenings and mornings help to offset it. And besides, it's more fun to swim if it's hot.

Dave

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

please could anyone advise the current status of accomodation in albergues et al. We (couple) are starting on Wednesday next week. Thanks
Hello everyone, I will have to work digitally about every other day from Irun to SdC (bringing an iPad). What are the wifi connections like along the entire route? What about the Primitivo? Thanks.
I’m travelling to Irún today to start my Camino tomorrow morning - I’m flying to Biarritz getting in at 4pm, planning on catching the bus to Hendaye and walking to the pilgrims hostel from there...
An article on the El Correo website reporting on very high occupancy rates at the albergue in Markina on the Camino del Norte. Full almost daily...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back