• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ferrol - Worth a Look?

Frankybaby66

Time of past OR future Camino
Last Camino Sep 23 Camino Portuguese (Central)
I'm flying into Santiago on 23rd May and land mid-morning. I start from Ferrol, walking the Camino Ingles the following day with some friends who are travelling in a lot later than me.
Sort of torn between spending the day I fly in wandering around Santiago (5th time there, though) or getting transport straight across to Ferrol for a look around.
Any pointers?
Thanks in advance👍

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It is worth the time. There is a fascinating naval/maritime museum, I don't know if it is open every day of the week.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Loved Ferrol, frankly I didn’t spend enough time there. (Evening only). Do it.
You end up in Santiago again anyway, enjoy your extra time somewhere different!

As for A Coruna, I’ve heard it’s lovely, fully intend to make a day trip there when I next have time - but the walk from there is too short for me, except as an add on to something else.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you like beaches and an urban vibe, then A Coruna is better. I liked Ferrol (been their twice now). The naval museum is very interesting. The Parador is a very nice place to stay and central to everything (if you want a treat). Try to get one of the rooms that has a mini balcony with sitting area. Ferrol has a little "dark" atmosphere to it but it still is enjoyable.

Ferrol, gritty port city, some nice sunny places for a coffee or a beer. Parador is worth going into, if only for a well-served drink.

Couple of hours between Museum, Churches, the port-area etc

I also walked out first few km, useful the next am...

There is a new Albergue there also. Read the comments in Gronze...

I definitely agree that A Coruña is nicer, with a castle, the Tower of Hercules and gorgeous beaches. I have flown into A Coruña from Madrid, spent time there, then taken a bus or train to Ferrol for the full 100 km (if you want a Compostela.) In fact, I have done both routes, from Ferrol and A Coruña and they both have merits! If you have time, do them both!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I definitely agree that A Coruña is nicer, with a castle, the Tower of Hercules and gorgeous beaches. I have flown into A Coruña from Madrid, spent time there, then taken a bus or train to Ferrol for the full 100 km (if you want a Compostela.) In fact, I have done both routes, from Ferrol and A Coruña and they both have merits! If you have time, do them both!
Think A Coruña will have to wait until next time as I am on a schedule and meeting friends in Ferrol; plan on walking Ferrol - Santiago- Finisterre-Muxia -Santiago . . Sounds nice, though.

Ferrol, gritty port city, some nice sunny places for a coffee or a beer. Parador is worth going into, if only for a well-served drink.

Meeting friends in Ferrol the morning of the 24th to start the Ingles, so can't front-load the first few km - would have been a good idea otherwise 👍

Meeting friends in Ferrol the morning of the 24th to start the Ingles, so can't front-load the first few km - would have been a good idea otherwise 👍

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I took the bus in the morning from Santiago to Ferrol, spent the rest of the morning in Ferrol (half a day seemed adequate to me), had lunch in the port area (near where the starting marker of the Camino Ingles is), then walked my first stage in the afternoon. I preferred this over hanging around in Santiago for the 7th time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I took the bus in the morning from Santiago to Ferrol, spent the rest of the morning in Ferrol (half a day seemed adequate to me), had lunch in the port area (near where the starting marker of the Camino Ingles is), then walked my first stage in the afternoon. I preferred this over hanging around in Santiago for the 7th time.
Sounds good advice ( loving your user name! 🤣)

We had a full day in Ferrol before setting off. Really enjoyed it. I prefer working port towns to seaside resort towns. They feel more lived in.

There's some really nice architecture, if you remember to look up at buildings.
http://www.ferrol.es/arquivos/documentos/turismo/Modernismo - INGLÉS.pdf

If you're planning on visiting the maritime museum though, do check on the opening times. They're pretty limited, especially at the weekend.

I'm flying into Santiago on 23rd May and land mid-morning. I start from Ferrol, walking the Camino Ingles the following day with some friends who are travelling in a lot later than me.
Sort of torn between spending the day I fly in wandering around Santiago (5th time there, though) or getting transport straight across to Ferrol for a look around.
Any pointers?
Thanks in advance👍
Yes, Ferrol is worth it. Wished we had more than the evening before we left in the morning. Had a nice light but lively dinner at Bla Bla cafe. Nice start to our Ingles, October, ‘23. Buen Camino

I highly recommend O Pincho restaurant in Ferrol.

No reservation on the terrace. First come first served. One of the few places where I also saw locals entering around 7.30 pm.

Any pointers?
Thanks in advance👍
Go North
Take your time , lovely villages to enjoy in peace and there is very nice accommodation.
Have a great Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back