• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finally going :) need advice

mati skiba

Hello,

For a long time I've wanted to do this route, life always kept me busy. But now I've decided to do it, putting life aside for some time. Letting my soul get what it needs.
My plan is to go this coming April, for about 15 days, and need your advice.
I will be landing in Barcelona, where should I start/stop?
Best route would include the various beautiful scenery the route has to offer, encountering animals is a huge plus, and some places to swim would make such journey perfect. I'm 30 years old, somewhat fit :) [i.e., would need to start slow, but will gain momentum quickly]

#edit:
I'm not aiming to reach Santiago this time. My main goal is to do spiritual work, by spending time with myself in this trail. Also, wouldn't want to travel too long from/to Barcelona.

Looking forward to hear from you,
Mati

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It takes about two weeks to walk from Leon to Santiago on the Camino Frances. It is best equipped for pilgrims, but also is the most crowded. April is never very crowded. Animals and swimming will be limited. Sorry. There are a couple of swimming pools, and an occasional river. The scenery is good after Leon; a little bit of the meseta, then about three mountain ranges.

Buen camino.

Thanks for your reply.

What is "best equipped for pilgrims, but also is the most crowded"? The path you offered or the Camino Frances?

I'm not necessarily aiming at arriving at Santiago, at least not this time.
My main goal is spiritual, by spending time with myself. Also, my entry/exit point is Barcelona, wouldn't want to travel too far.
Does that change your advice?

Mati

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Camino Frances is the signature camino, but there are dozens of others. Nearer Barcelona is the Camino Aragones. You can take trains and buses to Somport, Canfranc Estacion, or Jaca, and then walk that camino to where it joins the Camino Frances just after Pamplona at Puente la Reina.

There is a train from Barcelona to Toulouse, France at 1024, and then several trains from Toulouse to Auch each afternoon. You can start walking the Via Tolosana from Toulouse, if you want.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks. Good idea.
I have a few questions about the route, hope you can answer.
* How will the weather be like in early April?
* Would I have to carry water and food with me, or is it similar to the France route, where every few km's there's water/food supply?

Mati

The weather is uncertain in April. In May 2013 it rained 27 of 31 days, and Lourdes flooded up to the cathedral stairs and the grotto. Food and water are available regularly, so no special planning is required. There are several good guide books, including a Miam Miam Dodo for the route.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello,

For a long time I've wanted to do this route, life always kept me busy. But now I've decided to do it, putting life aside for some time. Letting my soul get what it needs.
My plan is to go this coming April, for about 15 days, and need your advice.
I will be landing in Barcelona, where should I start/stop?
Best route would include the various beautiful scenery the route has to offer, encountering animals is a huge plus, and some places to swim would make such journey perfect. I'm 30 years old, somewhat fit :) [i.e., would need to start slow, but will gain momentum quickly]

#edit:
I'm not aiming to reach Santiago this time. My main goal is to do spiritual work, by spending time with myself in this trail. Also, wouldn't want to travel too long from/to Barcelona.

Looking forward to hear from you,
Mati
Scenery, swimming... I think you need to consider the Norte. There's a direct train from Barcelona to Irun, which marks the start of this lovely coastal route. You could take a train from Irun to Bayonne and start there, so you'd have a few days' easy walking in France before hitting any major hills (and they're never really that major on the Norte, despite its reputation - though they are frequent, it must be said). In two weeks you could get to somewhere like Santander or Bilbao, where you can find transport back to Barcelona

Is there an English version or a good book in English?
There are not enough English-speaking pilgrims walking the Via Tolosana to merit a guidebook, so they all are in French. Sorry.

The Miam Miam Dodo seems be in French only. Is there an English version or a good book in English?

Mati

It is in French but terribly say to understand. We used it with no difficulty. It's a beautiful walk.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Here is more information about the Via Tolosana/Arles route in English. Also on the Confraternity of Saint James bookstore webpage two 2011 guides in English Arles to Toulouse and Toulouse to Puente la Reina are listed as available.

Take a corresponding flight from Barcelona to Pamplona (as low as €38.-, www.vueling.com), a perfect place to start your Camino, walking the classic Frances for as long as your plans allow. You should be able to get close to Leon, from where you have plenty of train connections to Madrid, Barcelona, etc. Also check out flights back to Barcelona (www.iberia.es, www.edreams.es). An interesting option often forgotten: Car rentals in Spain are very reasonable (e.g..: www.edreams.es/coches/ Leon > Barcelona Airport, 3 days is around 100€) and driving yourself gives you lots of choices and freedom.
Buen camino

PS: Forget swimming outside in April!

PPS: A shorter walk from Pamplona to Santo Domingo de la Calzada would give you some extra days to enjoy Barcelona, very worthwhile! A bus ride from Santo Domingo to Barcelona takes about 7h and €34, or a shorter ride to Leon and from there a fast train or flight to Barcelona.....check out www.alsa.es

Last edited by a moderator:
It is in French but terribly say to understand. We used it with no difficulty. It's a beautiful walk.
Sorry, auto correct woes. That should have read terribly easy to understand.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I agree with Metropolly above, that the Norte would be a good route for you, walking from Irun to Santander would give you the space for spirituality, lovely beaches and there are horses, donkeys, etc. along the route.

Animals on the Camino? Well, small birds, occasional falcons, eagles and vultures (the Spanish "quebrantahuesos" or "bone breaker"). Apparently, Ibañeta (on the way to Roncesvalles) is an important point for watching migratory birds (on the corresponding season, I guess). And lots of farmer's dogs, cows and sheeps, in Navarra and Galicia. Near Roncesvalles there are herds of a sturdy, little pyrenean horse race. Some pilgrims have reported red deers on winter, on mountain terrain (Montes de Oca), and even a little brown bear following a walker in Galicia -probably not amusing, I think. And cats and friendly dogs in albergues.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your wonderful suggestions. Especially for focusing on the animals and giving detailed route information.
So far I'm looking into doing the Arles route, though I'm not 100% sure yet. I have ordered the "Toulouse to Puente la Reina" book and also trying to find places to stay.
Does anyone know if guest houses are open this time a year in the Arles route? [from Auch in France all the way meeting up the French route at Monreal]

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for all your wonderful suggestions. Especially for focusing on the animals and giving detailed route information.
So far I'm looking into doing the Arles route, though I'm not 100% sure yet. I have ordered the "Toulouse to Puente la Reina" book and also trying to find places to stay.
Does anyone know if guest houses are open this time a year in the Arles route? [from Auch in France all the way meeting up the French route at Monreal]

When you say "guest houses" do you mean chambre d'hôtes? (Bed and breakfast). They are open usually all year round but you do have to book.

Is there a list of such guest houses? How do I find them to book ahead?

Hi Mati,

Do some research on the internet ie chambre d'hotes book say the first few days before setting off. Then by calling at Office de Tourism they will phone ahead, but try and feep 3-4 day rolling reservations.
Then you can walk all day with peace of mind. Beware this system will drastically change in Spain.

Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.