• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finding my way to St. John pied de port.

Tony Bobcat

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2017
Hello everyone. I am starting my first Camino on 13 of May next year, I fly out of Melbourne Australia and land in Barcelona 14 of May 1.25 pm.
What is the easiest way to get to St.John de port and in your opinion is there a good day to start. I will appreciate any advice given as I enjoy reading this forum weekly. Cheers Tony

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Monday or Tuesday will help keep you behind the weekend rush. A train to Pamplona then a bus to SJPDP will get you there. ALSA will not post the bus schedule until about May, but there will be a bus or two by May 14.

Easiest: Fly Barcelona to San Sebastian EAS. EAS is about 5km from Gare d'Hendaye: take a taxi. Take SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne. Take SNCF train from Bayonne to SJPdP.

Cheapest:

Take ViBaSa (Monbus) bus from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona. Take CONDA (ALSA) bus from Pamplona to SJPdP.

ALSA operates buses from Barcelona Estacio Nord to Zaragosa and Zaragosa to Pamplona.

Most Convenient:

Renfe operates trains from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona and Irun/Hendaye.

SNCF operates trains from Barcelona Sants to Toulouse and Toulouse to Bayonne.

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
No there is not a good day based on calendar to start. I'd prefer to wait for a day with fair weather if I had a choice.

Monday or Tuesday will help keep you behind the weekend rush. A train to Pamplona then a bus to SJPDP will get you there. ALSA will not post the bus schedule until about May, but there will be a bus or two by May 14.
Thanks for your advise falcon269, will have to sort out wether to go by train or bus to Pamplona. Looking so forward to it. Cheers Tony

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Easiest: Fly Barcelona to San Sebastian EAS. EAS is about 5km from Gare d'Hendaye: take a taxi. Take SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne. Take SNCF train from Bayonne to SJPdP.

Cheapest:

Take ViBaSa (Monbus) bus from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona. Take CONDA (ALSA) bus from Pamplona to SJPdP.

ALSA operates buses from Barcelona Estacio Nord to Zaragosa and Zaragosa to Pamplona.

Most Convenient:

Renfe operates trains from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona and cIrun/Hendaye.

SNCF operates trains from Barcelona Sants to Toulouse and Toulouse to Bayonne.
. Thanks for your advise wharlwarangi I need to work out what time the bus leaves foe Pamplona. The count down has started, just on six months can't wait. Cheers Tony

. Thanks for your advise wharlwarangi I need to work out what time the bus leaves foe Pamplona. The count down has started, just on six months can't wait. Cheers Tony
while more expensive, if your train from Barcelona doesn't arrive Pamplona in time to make the bus connection to SJPdP, you can take a taxi from pamplona to SJPdP. you may be able to identify and round up some pilgrims waiting at SANTS station or while on the train or even on arrival at Pamplona, and split the cab fare to SJPdP. I did this with two other pilgrims I met in SANTS, and my share wasn't an astronomical amount... to me worth the convenience, and since we'd missed the only bus to St Jean that day, cheaper than getting a hotel room and the bus the next day.

The Pamplona to SJPdP schedule was first there 3 or 4 years ago. Buses are added as demand increases. Last summer, if I recall correctly, there were 4 daily and another from San Sebastian via Biarritz.

Usually the first bus is 1430 starting around Easter or early March.

Sometime mid May another is added for 1730.

Another is added mid June for 1000.

The last bus in any event will likely leave at 1730. That means you have to catch the ~1230 train from Barcelona or stay in Pamplona for the night. At which point you might as well continue on the train to Irun. The SNCF trains from Hendaye start at 0500 and you can be in SJPdP at 0845.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
while more expensive, if your train from Barcelona doesn't arrive Pamplona in time to make the bus connection to SJPdP, you can take a taxi from pamplona to SJPdP. you may be able to identify and round up some pilgrims waiting at SANTS station or while on the train or even on arrival at Pamplona, and split the cab fare to SJPdP. I did this with two other pilgrims I met in SANTS, and my share wasn't an astronomical amount... to me worth the convenience, and since we'd missed the only bus to St Jean that day, cheaper than getting a hotel room and the bus the next day.
Great advise Smallest_Sparrow will keep that in mind, shouldn't be hard to find a couple with back packs among the crowd. Cheers Tony

Great advise Smallest_Sparrow will keep that in mind, shouldn't be hard to find a couple with back packs among the crowd. Cheers Tony
Oh, I almost forgot this, but someone else mentioned it on another thread. There is an albergue Corazon Puro. If you book a room with them, they will pick you up in pamplona, serve you dinner and the next day breakfast and drop you off in SJPdP.
http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Pamplona to SJPdP schedule was first there 3 or 4 years ago. Buses are added as demand increases. Last summer, if I recall correctly, there were 4 daily and another from San Sebastian via Biarritz.

Usually the first bus is 1430 starting around Easter or early March.

Sometime mid May another is added for 1730.

Another is added mid June for 1000.

The last bus in any event will likely leave at 1730. That means you have to catch the ~1230 train from Barcelona or stay in Pamplona for the night. At which point you might as well continue on the train to Irun. The SNCF trains from Hendaye start at 0500 and you can be in SJPdP at 0845.
Hi whariwharangi I arrive in Barcelona at 2.00 pm so I will probably continue to Irun. Once again thanks for your advise,much appreciated. Cheers Tony

A lot of information is on the site expressbourricot.com

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Oh, I almost forgot this, but someone else mentioned it on another thread. There is an albergue Corazon Puro. If you book a room with them, they will pick you up in pamplona, serve you dinner and the next day breakfast and drop you off in SJPdP.
Hi Smallest_Sparrow, I have already emailed them to find out the cost but they replied that they pare unable to price me until February next year. I would still like to know different options. Once again thanks for all your help. Cheers Tony

I think the suggestion was that you start walking westward, from Pamplona, instead of going to SJPP.
Hello C clearly and Barbara sorry for the misunderstanding, over the past 12 months I have watched just about every video on the Camino,have had a few dreams and also day dreaming at work.
I am so looking forward for the full experience, Meeting a lot of people and hopefully find some spiritual renewal. Once again I thank you both for your advise. Cheers Tony

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have watched just about every video on the Camino,have had a few dreams and also day dreaming at work. I am so looking forward for the full experience,
Starting at St Jean Pied de Port is an excellent idea. I have done it twice, although not my first time. I recommend it for anyone who has the time and inclination.

Although you may have watched just about every inspirational video, you must have missed the many threads on this forum, such as this one and this one (there are many more; these are just 2 of this week's popular ones) because you have said some "no no" words in referring to the "whole experience"! :eek::p A "whole Camino" would involve walking from your home to Santiago. Since you are coming from Australia, we'll give you a break, but you get the point! Many people do walk from distant points in Europe. Many others start at other points along the Camino Frances and rightly consider their experiences to be "whole." The suggestion to start in Pamplona was a reminder that St Jean has no official status on the Camino. So, please help us to eliminate misunderstandings about that. ;)

I hope your experience is wonderful. It probably will be, but maybe not in the way you expect in your dreams. :)

Last edited:
Starting at St Jean Pied de Port is an excellent idea. I have done it twice, although not my first time. I recommend it for anyone who has the time and inclination.

Although you may have watched just about every inspirational video, you must have missed the many threads on this forum, such as this one and this one (there are many more; these are just 2 of this week's popular ones) because you have said some "no no" words in referring to the "whole experience"! :eek::p A "whole Camino" would involve walking from your home to Santiago. Since you are coming from Australia, we'll give you a break, but you get the point! Many people do walk from distant points in Europe. Many others start at other points along the Camino Frances and rightly consider their experiences to be "whole." The suggestion to start in Pamplona was a reminder that St Jean has no official status on the Camino. So, please help us to eliminate misunderstandings about that. ;)

I hope your experience is wonderful. It probably will be, but maybe not in the way you expect in your dreams. :)
Hello C clearly Once again thanks for your advise I will take it on board, you were right I did miss both them threads. In Terri B Thread it was a shame that she had a few set backs, but at the end she completed her Camino I her own way and enjoyed it. Kangas saying of go with out expectation is a good advise. Cheers Tony

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello everyone. I am starting my first Camino on 13 of May next year, I fly out of Melbourne Australia and land in Barcelona 14 of May 1.25 pm.
What is the easiest way to get to St.John de port and in your opinion is there a good day to start. I will appreciate any advice given as I enjoy reading this forum weekly. Cheers Tony
However you get to St J P de P my strong advice would be to book Orison and don't do SJ to Roncevalles in one go. I did it on May 15th this year and the weather at the top can be horrible.

Hi,
I just returned from the Camino Frances last week and have another idea for you. I flew from Washington, DC to Madrid and then took a plane to Pamplona (you could probably find a flight from Barcelona too). I then took a cab to the bus station in Pamplona and was picked up Istvan who has an albergue somewhere between Pamplona and SJPP. Had dinner at his place, along with a restful night's sleep. I woke up for an early breakfast and at 7:30 am Istvan and his wife drove me to SJPP to begin my Camino. I did have a reservation in Orisson and I would highly recommend it. While the walk there is not particularly long (it was uphill), it was a perfect way to begin your Camino. The communal dinner was fun and the people that I met that night I continued to see for many weeks on the path. Istvan's albergue is called Curzón Puro and you can find it in Trip Advisor. Buen Camino. Liz

Hi Barbara. I need to be back in Barcelona within 35 days to meet up with my wife,just haven't got the time. Cheers Tony

I took a taxi from Pamplona train station to SJ the cost was €120. A very quick trip thru the winding mountains. Got in at a reasonable hour.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi,
I just returned from the Camino Frances last week and have another idea for you. I flew from Washington, DC to Madrid and then took a plane to Pamplona (you could probably find a flight from Barcelona too). I then took a cab to the bus station in Pamplona and was picked up Istvan who has an albergue somewhere between Pamplona and SJPP. Had dinner at his place, along with a restful night's sleep. I woke up for an early breakfast and at 7:30 am Istvan and his wife drove me to SJPP to begin my Camino. I did have a reservation in Orisson and I would highly recommend it. While the walk there is not particularly long (it was uphill), it was a perfect way to begin your Camino. The communal dinner was fun and the people that I met that night I continued to see for many weeks on the path. Istvan's albergue is called Curzón Puro and you can find it in Trip Advisor. Buen Camino. Liz
Hi Liz. Thanks for your advise I will be booking in at Orisson and I have tried a few months ago to get a quote from Curzon Puro. They told me that they were half way through their season and will not be taking any reservation until February next year. Could you please tell me what the cost was. Cheer Tony

I took a taxi from Pamplona train station to SJ the cost was €120. A very quick trip thru the winding mountains. Got in at a reasonable hour.
Hi Nelia. Thanks for your advise,with a bit of luck if I decide to take a taxi I might be able to find someone to share the taxi fare. Cheers Tony

However you get to St J P de P my strong advice would be to book Orison and don't do SJ to Roncevalles in one go. I did it on May 15th this year and the weather at the top can be horrible.
Hi Richard thanks for your great advise, I will be booking in at Orisson.
I also thought of starting slowly and at the same time it will be a great way of meeting people. Once again thanks for your advise. Cheers Tony

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Totally with SS on this one. The Corazon Puro folks are lovely. The cost is no more than you would be paying for bus+night in SJPdP + meals anyway, and it's a lot more convenient. Only trick is you'll need to arrive in Pamplona no later than late afternoon.

Hi Liz. Thanks for your advise I will be booking in at Orisson and I have tried a few months ago to get a quote from Curzon Puro. They told me that they were half way through their season and will not be taking any reservation until February next year. Could you please tell me what the cost was. Cheer Tony

The price is on their website - here is the link to the page http://www.corazonpuro.es/AlbergueEng.html

Hi whariwharangi I arrive in Barcelona at 2.00 pm so I will probably continue to Irun. Once again thanks for your advise,much appreciated. Cheers Tony

A couple of alternatives:

SNCF operates trains from Barcelona to Toulouse and Toulouse to Bayonne.

There are domestic flights from Barcelona to San Sebastian EAS. EAS is located near Irun about 5 km from Gare d'Hendaye.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello & good luck
I just made this trip in September
The train from Madrid takes about 4-5 hours.
It's a short hop from the train station over to the ALSA bus station once you arrive in Pamplona

There is also a bus service from Madrid to Pamplona but this takes longer

There are several bus trips each day from Pamplona over to SJPDP. The bus trip takes about 1 1/4 hrs.

From the bus stop in St. Jean Pied de Port, it's a short walk (about 5 min) to the Pilgrim Office.

buen camino

There are several bus trips each day from Pamplona over to SJPDP. The bus trip takes about 1 1/4 hrs.

No there are not several bus trips each day. This is only true in summer.

There is not now any bus on this route.

Hello & good luck
I just made this trip in September
The train from Madrid takes about 4-5 hours.
It's a short hop from the train station over to the ALSA bus station once you arrive in Pamplona

There is also a bus service from Madrid to Pamplona but this takes longer

From the bus stop in St. Jean Pied de Port, it's a short walk (about 5 min) to the Pilgrim Office.

buen camino
Hello Wally Thanks for your advise,you wouldn't know what time the buses leave Pamplona to Sjpdp. Cheers Tony

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Starting at St Jean Pied de Port is an excellent idea. I have done it twice, although not my first time. I recommend it for anyone who has the time and inclination. The suggestion to start in Pamplona was a reminder that St Jean has no official status on the Camino. So, please help us to eliminate misunderstandings about that. ;) I hope your experience is wonderful. It probably will be, but maybe not in the way you expect in your dreams. :)

Hi @C clearly; would you care to explain/clarify the comment St Jean has no official status? Yes I am aware that when I reach Santiago the Cathedral Office is going to ask - did you walk & for what reason. My passport stamps will clearly indicate that I have walked (at least) the 100 km. required. So does any starting point have "official status"? Cheers

would you care to explain/clarify the comment St Jean has no official status?
What I meant was that there are NO official starting points for the Camino. St Jean is the same as Roncesvalles, Pamplona, Sarria or Moscow. Any place further than 100 km from Santiago is a valid starting point.

The OP had referred to wanting "the full experience" as a reason for starting in St. Jean rather than Pamplona (for example). I was pointing out that the "full experience" did not depend on starting in St. Jean Pied de Port.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So does any starting point have "official status"?
None, like @C clearly said.
I'll even take it further. A full experience of the Camino can happen with less than 100km, one can even never go to Santiago and experience it. Monte de Gozo is as good of a start as any other. What truly matter is, what does one mean by "Camino" and does one want an official recognition or not ;)
And don't take for granted what marketing is saying... Sahagun is not the "middle of the Camino", just like Le Puy is not the "European capital of the Camino" ;)

full

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back