• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finding somewhere to sleep

max44

Time of past OR future Camino
13th April 2013 leaving. SJPDP via Rome
I am on the camino at the moment. We started in France and are now 75% complete to finistare .
We have found the camino has required some strategy in order to find a bed, even now in off season.
There are many busses where people stop outside town and drop people off to find a bed, many bike riders and those who walk with just water where the pack is sent on.
It's only now we are finding the albergue a are checking to see where your last stamp was and calculate the time. If you have only a day pack you won't get in and have to go to the hotel.
A few times we have had to walk 35 or 36k just to find somewhere to sleep.
Now we use the guide book to use as a place not to stop. We plan on the towns just after the main stops.
A lot of us are now doing this. We tried booking but some are booked a week in advance.
We did try booking, however, if you are not there by 3pm your booking is given to others.
It's sad that the destination has become the focus and not the journey.
I am loving the camino, however, like many things, it's being exploited.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So sorry to hear that. I can imagine how someone feels after 25 or 30km stage with full backpack and couldn't find a bed because of dozens of pilgrim-tourists what those mentioned above surely are IMO (some won't share that opinion, I'm sure).

I walked CF late May/June 2011 and never had such problems even when arriving at 5PM (I walk fast but like to make long stops at places I find nice). Only in Carrion de los Condes I got the bed in the third albergue I asked. I guess this year there must be much more "pilgrims" on the way.

@max44: Are you already past Sarria?

Ultreia!

Hi,
Not at Sarria as yet. More albergue a from there and a starting point for many.
I should point out the touristinos phrase isn't mine, is a Spanish phrase.
I am healthy and can carry a full pack, also, being in medicine, I also understand many people on the camino are not healthy or strong enough to carry a full pack.
I am frowned on for even talking to those that ride.
We each walk/ride our own camino.
My original past was an advisory to those about to start that some planning may be required.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm one who has used the bus while recovering from injury, seeking medical care and being advised to rest. Walking again but will transport pack from here to avoid stressing the injured hip and feet. I am firmly in the camp that it's about the walk and the "confraternity" and not whether or not I carry all my camino belongings with me. I'm 71, pretty fit, but even my body wasn't prepared for the rigors of 20 km+ day in and day out.

Before this turns into a flame, would everyone read the initial post! It's an advisory that planning may be required. I am helping treat injured people. The place I am staying is saying things are different at the moment for the first time they have known. Trust me I know people are injured and sick. It's not about camps or fitting into a group. I wished I hadn't bothered with this post. The albergues were just saying, tourist are using them to get a cheap place for the night and are being selective.
Please read the post before making a comment. Those that arrive late because they are sick are missing out in some cases. The people that run then are trying to help rose who are genuine about being sick. Please, no more public "camp" dedications.

I really didn't want that this warning by max44 or my comment especially would turned into a flame. I now very well some pilgrims are injured, some exausted, some older and I've met all of those. And I wasn't referring on them. I just can't agree with a situation the pilgrim could get into when arriving at albergue which is full because of those so-called pilgrims that take rides. Day after day!!! That's all.

Ultreia!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi kinkyone, I wasn't meaning you :) I was walking whilst typing :)
I added my comment just to point out to future ripple that I wasn't targeting sick or injured people.
I just landed at another place which has just added the following,
1 no taxis or busses. Will not accept pack forwards, groups not permitted, fit people have to take top bunks, credential checks done, no sello if you don't sleep there etc.
If they become full, no one is turned away.
Now back to treating blisters and tendon strains.
I just got told I have to get two or three sello per day on the last 100k. This is to stop taxis between stops. Not sure if that has always been the case.
For any advice on the last 100k, please send a PM. I am always open to advice.

Tried to send this as pm..but would not go through..
Good work Max! I am sorry to hear the crowds are so intense already! I have always hit those stages in late July and they are intense then. The larger towns from Sarria have pensions and hotels..I relied on those plus camping the times I had a tent..I'm on my phone now, I will be at a computer tommorow and can send you a list of pensions hotels I use if you would like it!
John

Whoa....ok thanks for the warning.....if its crowded now, i can imagine it will only get worse in August when I go.....was actually contemplating if i should go with a luggage transfer or pre booked rooms or go free and easy and look for a room every night....i thought i would keep it open as, im ok with spending some nights in a hotel and others in pensions or alburgues...would come up cheaper than a fully booked tour eventually.... Though, im not confident about trekking with weight....i had difficulty even with a day pack in annapurna, nepal and am not sure if i can handle the full weight. Now that i know the lodging situation is tricky, i might just do a pre-booked all the way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
max44 said:
. If you have only a day pack you won't get in and have to go to the hotel. .

Is this true?? Anyone else found this? If so, what about the ultra lightweight gang - like me - who only carry a daysac and don't use any luggage transport?? Am I to be penalised for carrying too little??

Sojourner47 said:
max44 said:
. If you have only a day pack you won't get in and have to go to the hotel. .

Is this true?? Anyone else found this? If so, what about the ultra lightweight gang - like me - who only carry a daysac and don't use any luggage transport?? Am I to be penalised for carrying too little??

Well, you know the old saying :wink: :

He who drills too many holes in his toothbrush,
has to sleep under the stars.

Actually, I hadn't heard that one before, is it an old Swedish saying?
Out with the P45 filler. Maybe if I fill my pack with stones for the Cruz de Ferro it will be OK? :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am planning to go in Sept- October.

I have decided 8 years ago to walk my own walk - in LIFE I mean.

I am happy to hear other peoples experiences/ plans/ routes etc- no matter what the conversation is about. Then I make the plan that suits me. Life is not a competition.

I also was wondering about having luggage transfer. Have limited time from work- 8 weeks and have to get from Australia and back again in that time. So IF necessary am planning to bus or train some sections if I have to- due to time shortage. Hope to start in St Jean- if I dont chicken out :) :roll:

I wont be disappointed in myself no matter how it ends- I will ONLY be disapppointed IF I DON"T GO ! :oops:

Annie

Annie Little said:
I also was wondering about having luggage transfer. Have limited time from work- 8 weeks and have to get from Australia and back again in that time. So IF necessary am planning to bus or train some sections if I have to- due to time shortage. Hope to start in St Jean- if I dont chicken out :) :roll:

Annie
Annie you will have loads of time in eight weeks. My brother came from Australia to walk the Camino with me and he had six weeks. We walked to Finisterra and Muxia after Santiago including three rest days and then spent a week in Spain before flying back, and neither of us are spring chickens. :D

"neither of us are spring chickens"

hahahaha from the posts I DO expect to see some "Old Crows and Roosters" :lol: on my Camino. EDITED to add that I myself will be one of the old crows :)

See you are from Ireland- no wonder your comment gave a chuckle :)

Cheers
Annie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
max44 said:
1 no taxis or busses. Will not accept pack forwards, groups not permitted, fit people have to take top bunks, credential checks done, no sello if you don't sleep there etc.
If they become full, no one is turned away.

From the PM max has sent me I think he was referring to Albergue Gaucelmo in Rabanal del Camino. It's administered by CSJ so I can easily believe they're somewhat more strict about those things.

@annie little:
You'll have more than enough time to walk the whole CF in 8 weeks, I completely agree with wayfarer. But I guess you can meet younger pilgrims more often in summer months than in spring or autumn.

Ultreia!

Thanks for the heads up that it is starting to get a bit busy. Our plan all along has been to be flexible and if a race starts up we won't participate. :wink:

I believe from Sarria onwards 2 sellos a day have always been a requirement.

Trying not to be judgemental about people who choose/need to take a taxi or book rooms ahead of time. People do what they feel they need to do and who I am to decide for them what is appropriate. It just gives me an excuse to stay in a hotel and have a private bath and room for the night. Always look on the bright side! :mrgreen:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sadly...all of this has changed the Camino as some of us knew it. :(

Promotion and movies have not added to the pilgrimage.
Commercial promotion has changed the atmosphere and dynamics of the walk.

Sadly...for some of us.
I have no doubt that some will disagree and champion the commercial changes. It would be of no matter if it only changed things for those who wanted the changes....but it changes it for everyone.

But, on the brighter side, it might make more people try the other routes instead of just the popular ones.

I have wanted to do this for at least 8 years and the time has finally presented itself. When the movie The Way came out I was a little sad because I knew it would make this more known and there for busy but I am not going to let that ruin my experience.

Terrri said:
But, on the brighter side, it might make more people try the other routes instead of just the popular ones.
Yes, or walk the Frances "out of season". Anyhow, I think we probably need to wait and see what the numbers "really are" when the "stats" are released at the end of the month. And on a positive note, the numbers had increased from 2009 (first walk) and 2012 (second walk) but the enjoyment was still there. Going again in October (Love the French Route).
Terrri said:
I have wanted to do this for at least 8 years a.... but I am not going to let that ruin my experience.
And it won't ruin it.
Buen Camino.
Colin

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I feel the added distractions and temptations on the Camino show what the times are like. We live in a society (at least from my perspective) that encourages the bare minimum of ourselves. It is also a society that is trying to push away God from our lives. The Camino is just showing what society is doing. It is an opportunity to grow. God is still just as present in this journey as He was with the original men and women on a penance walk. If you seek Him on this you will find God.

Like all paths in life you can take the easy way or the more fruitful way, which tends to be the more difficult thing to do.

And that is my rant... Thanks for listening! Buen Camino!

Zac

Mmm Ok Zac I see your point BUT we also have to have compassion and let each person Choose their own path do we not ?

Please let us not be judgemental because in the eyes of God we are all equal . Is that not true?

I am not religious. It does not matter . we all deserve the same right to make our choices.
Follow our "path" " our Camino" because ALL of Life is a Camino :) X :D

Annie

Annie,

I do not see any judgment being made in my last msg and if it came out that way it is not intended to be. I was simply stating the Camino is becoming more and more secularized as is culture today. With all the movie/books/blogs etc... It is bound to happen. I mean, BBC is even doing a documentary on the increasing trend of non-religious reasons.

I'm not saying it is bad to go for a seperate reason, but I am also saying it cannot hurt to pray on this journey. Even if you are not religious, you are on this to figure something out or for some other reason but you still are radically retreating from normal lifestyle which gives way to asking questions about life, who is God/does He exist, what is man's purpose etc...

You are a changed person after this journey, and it is just the begining of the rest of your life. I could not agree anymore with life being a Camino. If you want to speak further about it just PM me!

Zac

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We have been trying one stop before or one stop after what briely(forgot spelling) says in his book. This has made a big difference by not following the book.

Just an update... Saria onwards is easier to find a bed. No problems. Many have dropped out and there are many more places to stay now. You still need a sleeping bag for sure though.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back