• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finisterre/Fisterre or not???

eok56

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2014 last 120k
We plan on arriving in Santiago on the 8th of July, originally we had planned to stay in Santiago on the 8th, get a bus to finisterre on the 9th, stay one night and then back to Santiago to get our flight home on the 11th
One problem with that; one of our group is flying home from Santiago at 12.25pm on the 10th?

Any suggestions on how we can incorporate a day/night in Finisterre into our trip and get back to Santiago Airport for approx 11am on the 10th?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We plan on arriving in Santiago on the 8th of July, originally we had planned to stay in Santiago on the 8th, get a bus to finisterre on the 9th, stay one night and then back to Santiago to get our flight home on the 11th
One problem with that; one of our group is flying home from Santiago at 12.25pm on the 10th?

Any suggestions on how we can incorporate a day/night in Finisterre into our trip and get back to Santiago Airport for approx 11am on the 10th?
Hello eok56,

In my experience this is not possible as you would need to arrive back in Santiago from Finisterre in sufficient time for...................Bus or Taxi to the airport........................Arriving at the airport in time for checkin maybe 1 hour before the flight. As I recall the first bus departs Finisterre around 09.00 which takes 2.5 - 3.00 hours to Santiago.
You say you are leaving Santiago early on the 1st to reach your start point, consider walking a few kilometres as soon as you arrive in Sarria. That way you should be able to reach Santiago on the 7th in time for the pilgrims mass at midday.
Stay in Santiago on the 7th
Bus to Finisterre on the 8th
Walk 3 km to the Finisterre lighthouse watch the sunset.
Return to Santiago 9th or 10th good to spend another day in Santiago.
Taxi to Santiago airport 11th.

You are then looking to average less than 17 km per day and even less if you can pick of a few km on the 1st July.

Buen Camino Keith.

Just an add on..............................Try add reserve all your accommodation that way you have peace of mind and you are not to chasing beds.
Sarria - Ferrerios - Gonzar - Palais de Rei - Melide - Arzua - Santa Irene - Santiago de Compostela............7 days walking, and YES YOU CAN ALL DO IT, STILL LEAVING TIME TO GO TO FINISTERRE well worth a visit to dip your toes in the sea. At 71 this was a 3 day walk for me you have youth on your side.

Buen Camino Keith

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
... consider walking a few kilometres as soon as you arrive in Sarria. ..
Buen Camino Keith.

Keith has the right idea go further to arrive sooner. One possibility might be to walk either 5 k beyond Sarria to Barbadelo or 14.5 k to Ferreiros. See this Eroiski list for Etapa 27: Sarria - Portomarín albergue choices including some private ones which take reservations. I always stay in the municipal in Ferrerios since it is open all year. However the new private Casa Cruceiro loks very elegant.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Thanks very much for all your replies, initially we had planned on starting our walking a little further back in Samos taking 7 days to reach Santiago (average of 18km a day) , now based on your advice and wanting to go to Finisterre, we are going to start our walking in Sarria, arriving in Santiago on the 7th for pilgrims mass, then on the 8th we will travel by bus to Finisterre, spend the evening of the 8th (hopefully see a sunset at the light house) and some of the 9th there, coming back to Santiago by bus on the 9th in plenty time for our friend to make her midday flight on the 10th and the rest of us will have plenty time to explore Santiago.

Do you suggest that we book accommodation for when we are walking? I was under the impression that you couldn't book the municpal Alberuges which we had planned on staying in?

The buses go to and from Finisterre pretty much all day. You could go in the morning, see everything there (it's tiny) have lunch or breakfast, and take a bus back to Santiago. We didn't spend the night there and felt we had plenty of time.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thought about this also but I don't like the idea of spending 2 x 2.5/3 hours in a bus in one day. Thanks for your feedback!

July could be VERY busy on the camino; be prepared! You are correct that the municipal albergues do NOT take reservation, however most private places do. As I mentioned above the Eroski list includes both municipal AND private. Click on each entry, find the phrases Propiedad de albergue: Privado and Reserva de plaza en el albergue: . . Bingo, you can then make a reservation.

MM

You could consider getting a hire car. It cost 20 euros each for 4 pilgrims and we got to see Muxia as well. We had an farewell lunch there. It was an excellent way to finish our journey.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks very much for all your replies, initially we had planned on starting our walking a little further back in Samos taking 7 days to reach Santiago (average of 18km a day) , now based on your advice and wanting to go to Finisterre, we are going to start our walking in Sarria, arriving in Santiago on the 7th for pilgrims mass, then on the 8th we will travel by bus to Finisterre, spend the evening of the 8th (hopefully see a sunset at the light house) and some of the 9th there, coming back to Santiago by bus on the 9th in plenty time for our friend to make her midday flight on the 10th and the rest of us will have plenty time to explore Santiago.

Do you suggest that we book accommodation for when we are walking? I was under the impression that you couldn't book the municpal Alberuges which we had planned on staying in?
Hello again eok56,

Take mspath's advice in terms of booking in advance because you are a small group and ideally you would want to be in the same accommodation each night. Gerardcarey's suggestion of car hire and Muxia is good but in your case just trying to cram too much into your limited number of days.
If the weather is kind for you consider a slow walk out to the lighthouse in the afternnon, take a picnic with you, get you credential stamped in the lighthouse.
Have you photo by the 0.00 km sign visit the bar and enjoy a relaxed afternoon / evening.
Albergue Cabo da Vila in Finisterre well worth a visit....... alberguecabodvila@gmail.com just 5 mins down the road to the sea and bus stop.
13 Avenida de A Coruna ( Private )

Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
There has been some discussion about getting one way tickets to have more flexibility. Unfortunately I had to cut my Camino short because I was getting shin splints. Because I had a flexible...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back