• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Taxi availability (or not )Meseta ???

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015,2016,2017,2018,2022, 2023, april 24.
Hi . How easy OR difficult is it to get a taxi from Itero de la Vega to Fromista ?( where we will sleep and get on the train the next morning to Palencia ) I'm aware of the availability of taxi's in other area's on the Camino but not the smaller towns in the Meseta.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would ask where you are staying to help you get a taxi. Ask when you check in or if you made a reservation, you could ask this question in advance.
were not staying in Itero de la vega. Were walking that day from Hontanas to Itero de la vega and need a taxi from there. Hoping to get to a cafe and call a taxi ?!?!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Okay, my first comment is to consider how long it takes to walk from Hontanos to Itero de Vega. That is a long walk. If you were able to arrange for a taxi, how sure are you that you might show up at the scheduled pick-up time? Personally, I would consider a taxi from Hontanos or Castrojeriz to Fromista and enjoy a relaxing afternoon and evening there. Fromista has some of the finest restaurants in the Meseta.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Okay, my first comment is to consider how long it takes to walk from Hontanos to Itero de Vega. That is a long walk. If you were able to arrange for a taxi, how sure are you that you might show up at the scheduled pick-up time? Personally, I would consider a taxi from Hontanos or Castrojeriz to Fromista and enjoy a relaxing afternoon and evening there. Fromista has some of the finest restaurants in the Meseta.
It's less than 13 miles

The stretch from Itero de la Vega to Fromista shouldn't' be very hard -- but for some odd reason I've always found it to be so. The year that I broke my foot I found it to be especially so. I stumbled into Boadilla del Camino and said "Enough!" I went into the big hotel on the Plaza Mayor and asked the desk attendant if he could help me get a cab to Fromista. He could, and did. I sat on a bench in the Plaza admiring the rollo. 15 minutes later a cab arrived..... Only down side was missing the canal-side walk, ..... Boadilla is the only place between Itero and Fromista where a cab can be gotten, I believe.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
were not staying in Itero de la vega. Were walking that day from Hontanas to Itero de la vega and need a taxi from there. Hoping to get to a cafe and call a taxi ?!?!
@dutchwalkagain, one way to look for such information is checking the website of the municipality in question, in this case it is the Ayuntamiento de Frómista. Their website lists only one taxi under their touristic information: https://fromistaturismo.com/index.php/servicios/

I have no first-hand experience as we managed to walk to Fromista (we are section walkers, too) to pick up the train there. I'd probably contact them beforehand, perhaps by WhatsApp, to see whether they would be able to pick up at short notice or need to know earlier than that. Buen Camino!

I found Alto de Mostelares to be one of the best hills to climb on the camino. It has a nice road both going up and down the hill. In fact I did Hontanas all the way to Boadilla that day. The Video is here:

I found Alto de Mostelares to be one of the best hills to climb on the camino. It has a nice road both going up and down the hill. In fact I did Hontanas all the way to Boadilla that day. The Video is here:
That hill is exactly the reason that we want to walk beyond Castrojeriz that day. Last time I only saw it from a taxi on our way to Boadilla due to my daughter (who walked with me ) being injured. So we want to walk from Hontanos to at least the top of that hill. (then we leave the Meseta to forward all the way to Santiago , to do another section that i've never done before , Santiago/finisterre/Muxia ) We may even consider walking bac down to Castrojeriz and spend the night there. However walking back on the Camino seems werid :) And yes I too, believe its 13 miles from Hontanos to Itero de la Vega. I liked the suggestion someone here made earlier. Arrange a taxi once were getting to Castrojeriz for lunch and then walk on to Itero . Thanks :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Were indeed planning on staying the evening in Fromista. So we have all day o walk from Hontanas to Itero de la Vega. If it's horrible weather or any other issues that seem to prevent doing the 20 km that day, we can always stop in Castrojeriz. :) But I WANT to do "the hill" badly :)

Whenever I needed a taxi anywhere on the Francés I just walked into the next bar and asked them to call one. Always worked.

Had to take a taxi twice in the area around Fromista, once from Poblacion de Campos (just after Fromista) to Carrion in 2015 and once from Castrojeriz to Fromista in 2022. I think it was the same lady who drove the taxi both times, even though there were several years between those two occasions. She was really nice and even gave information about the Camino and the places we saw from the car.

So there should be a taxi service available in that area.

The Alto de Mostelares is one of my absolutely favourite parts of the Francés. If you can, climb it. I couldn't do it last year, and am still heartbroken. The view is amazing, in both directions... and the sunrise up there, heavenly.

Buen Camino 🙂

Fromista has some of the finest restaurants in the Meseta.
Yup - El Chiringuito Del Camino - the BEST Iberian Ribs I had on the whole Camino (and the portion is not too shabby)

But I WANT to do "the hill" badly :)
IMHO that hill is not as bad as many think it is. Yes it IS a "climb" (IIRC 12% gradient) but somehow its just 'moves along'. And as many already said - the views are amazing. I actually started before the sunrise from Castrojeritz and was greatly rewarded with wonders of my eyes for that!
I even quipped "Arise Ye Sun of Castrojeritz!" looking back at the town :)

Whenever I needed a taxi anywhere on the Francés I just walked into the next bar and asked them to call one. Always worked.

The Alto de Mostelares is one of my absolutely favourite parts of the Francés. If you can, climb it. I couldn't do it last year, and am still heartbroken. The view is amazing, in both directions... and the sunrise up there, heavenly.

Buen Camino 🙂
Same here - those couple of times I needed a taxi that's exactly what I did. The longest I had to wait was about 40 mins (IIRC - Villadangos del Páramo)

see my 2nd response re: "the hill"

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oddly enough, when we got to the top of the hill after Castrojerez, there was a nice shiny taxi sitting up there. Not sure if the driver thought people would now give up after climbing up the hill, but there must have been a reason why he was there. Anyway, it made me laugh.

Hi . How easy OR difficult is it to get a taxi from Itero de la Vega to Fromista ?( where we will sleep and get on the train the next morning to Palencia ) I'm aware of the availability of taxi's in other area's on the Camino but not the smaller towns in the Meseta.
It was easy for me. I missed a bus in Carrion de Los Condes and was offered a taxi ride to Leon. But it seems like there are stickers everywhere offering taxi service. You can ask at bars, too, or at albergues. There is bus service, too.

Ask at a bar. In Boadilla a hospitalero drove me to a farmacia in a nearby town when I asked if there was a doctor.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oddly enough, when we got to the top of the hill after Castrojerez, there was a nice shiny taxi sitting up there. Not sure if the driver thought people would now give up after climbing up the hill, but there must have been a reason why he was there. Anyway, it made me laugh.
That surely gets filed under "Camino Provides" topic :)

Were indeed planning on staying the evening in Fromista. So we have all day o walk from Hontanas to Itero de la Vega. If it's horrible weather or any other issues that seem to prevent doing the 20 km that day, we can always stop in Castrojeriz. :) But I WANT to do "the hill" badly :)
Good for you. The hill is only a 20 minute climb and fantastic views. Its a quick trot down and then pretty much flat to Itero, and you get to see San Nicholas church/albergue on the way. No reason to double back. When you leave Hontanas, I recommend you take the hill path to the right of the road rather than the road for better views and no traffic.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back