• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Finisterre

MonkP

Time of past OR future Camino
April
I an hoping to bring my very ill husband to Santiago and go to Finisterre for a day and back to Santiago. He is a very experienced Camino walker but I have never been with him.

His mobility is very challenged so he will not be able to walk any of it this time.

I need the following in place in order for this trip to happen:

We need to to stay near the cathedral so he can visit it easily. I would like an apartment but can do a hotel.
We need to be close to eateries.
We need the easiest way to get to Finisterre and back. We can stay for a night there but I need advice about how far away is the lighthouse from the town (he wants to go back there) and is there any transport out to the lighthouse area?

I am trying to make this trip happen for him so I would be very grateful for any advice/help.

Many thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Look into the your companies that do day trips to Finisterre and Muxía. In addition to those two towns they take you to some other sites that you wouldn't normally see if you were walking. The bus does take you up to the lighthouse too.

Another fun thing to do in Finisterre is a sunset boat cruise that takes you out by the lighthouse.

If you ask the tour bus company they will probably let you get off in Finisterre, then continue the tour on the next day's bus. You would have to get a taxi down from the lighthouse into town yourself. My friend and I did that one year when she was injured and couldn't hobble very far.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We took a cab out to the lighthouse. Depending on time of day, your driver may be willing to wait or come back for you. Plenty of cute apartments in Finesterre, but some are up a steep hill so again maybe check on accessibility.

Edit: we paid only 10 euros round trip midmorning.

Last edited:
I an hoping to bring my very ill husband to Santiago and go to Finisterre for a day and back to Santiago. He is a very experienced Camino walker but I have never been with him.

His mobility is very challenged so he will not be able to walk any of it this time.

We need to to stay near the cathedral so he can visit it easily. I would like an apartment but can do a hotel.
We need the easiest way to get to Finisterre and back. We can stay for a night there but I need advice about how far away is the lighthouse from the town (he wants to go back there) and is there any transport out to the lighthouse area?

I am trying to make this trip happen for him so I would be very grateful for any advice/help.

Many thanks
You can look on booking.com for an apartment. I looked and there are a couple near the Cathedral. I don’t know about stairs… here are their names:
Inferniño Apartments, Apartmentos Atia Cathedral, Xavestre Rooms. Galicia Tours will take you on a day trip to Fisterre and Muxia and a few other places.

Many thanks
There are a couple of coach services fro Santiago to Finisterre AND there's a pilgrim office in Santiago too, which I'm sure wd be able to help you with the rest. Good luck. X

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As long as your husband has some mobility it is quite doable with bus and taxi.
The bus trip from Finistere to Santiago is long but very lovely as it follows the coast for most of the trip.
Have you thought about hiring a car? That could be another option.

As long as your husband has some mobility it is quite doable with bus and taxi.
The bus trip from Finistere to Santiago is long but very lovely as it follows the coast for most of the trip.
Have you thought about hiring a car? That could be another option.
Thank you. I have thought about hiring a car but silly as it might sound, I have never driven on the right side of the road and am a bit nervous about it when I don’t know what the roads or area are like.

Thank you. I have thought about hiring a car but silly as it might sound, I have never driven on the right side of the road and am a bit nervous about it when I don’t know what the roads or area are like.

Yes I was wondering about that. I’m from Australia and feel a bit the same way. It will probably be more relaxing for you to take bus and taxis. And towns are pretty close so sometimes it’s worth it to take a taxi somewhere rather than a bus.
I wish you and your hubby all the best and a happy and relaxed Camino to Finistere - all be it that you will travelling via wheels rather than feet.
Blessings to you both

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
but silly as it might sound, I have never driven on the right side of the road
It is not silly. It is difficult for me to drive on the left side, in Great Britain. Particularly when I have to turn left, sometimes I realize that I am on the right side, the wrong one. Another difficulty is to handle the gear lever with the left hand.
Therefore, if you choose to rent a car, take care when turning, especially right, and if you are used to automatic cars, choose one.

San Martin Pinario is probably best. There are a few steps at the entrance, but after it is level to the lobby and elevator. There is usually someone near the door who can help you, or you can call the desk. It has restaurants for breakfast (included with single pilgrim room 26 euro, they have at least one double- 42e last year), lunch and dinner. They have regular hotel rooms there also for more money per night, but I have never used them. I would guess they are more elaborate than the pilgrim rooms on the 4th floor. Call or email them ASAP for reservations. Be prepared for steps to get to and into the Cathedral, sometimes lots depending on which doors are open. Likely most of the numerous pilgrims hanging about will be more than happy to assist.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back