• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino complete -thank you Forum

Lmsundaze

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2016), CP (2017)
Hello from Finisterre - after beginning my Camino April 17 in Pamplona- I have made it! Happy, no problems, no injuries. I am 70 with osteoporosis, arthritis, and digestive issues. Many thanks to all of the forum members who gave me advice. I am not an expert, obviously, but here is some random thoughts on things that worked for me. 1. No regrets on starting Pamplona instead of St Jean. Felt good the whole way, think I realistically evaluated my fitness and abilities. 2. My slow pace, about 10 miles a day, let me enjoy it all. 3. I stayed in albergues a couple times and was massively uncomfortable- I need to use the bathroom many times in the night and just couldn't sleep. I shared private rooms with a friend I met and it was so worth it to make up refreshed . 3. Reserving ahead - yes I did! As a slow walker I wanted to relax, stop and talk to people, etc. not too far ahead until Sarria which was crowded with groups. 4. Spanish - yes! The more one can speak, the more enjoyable. Yes it can be done with no Spanish, but it will enhance the trip. 5. I was glad to have a phone, very useful for reservations, etc. 6. I was just right temperature with icebreaker shirts, nanopuff jacket, rain jacket, pack cover. 7. Yes to trail runners(no blisters no problems), hiking poles, Macabi skirt, buff. Thanks to all.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well done! Congrats on a great achievement.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello from Finisterre - after beginning my Camino April 17 in Pamplona- I have made it! Happy, no problems, no injuries. I am 70 with osteoporosis, arthritis, and digestive issues. Many thanks to all of the forum members who gave me advice. I am not an expert, obviously, but here is some random thoughts on things that worked for me.
Good to hear from you, and that you did things your way, and had a great experience. I've wondered how things went for you, since you were planning your trip the same time I was. I'm about two weeks from Santiago, moving slowly and happily along in the Camino Invierno in Galicia.
Do you think you'll keep doing long distance walking?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Congratulations!!! It is such a delight to read this. Thank you for sharing and most of all, thank you for the inspirational feedback. Have a great and superb post-Camino!!

Hello from Finisterre - after beginning my Camino April 17 in Pamplona- I have made it! Happy, no problems, no injuries. I am 70 with osteoporosis, arthritis, and digestive issues. Many thanks to all of the forum members who gave me advice. I am not an expert, obviously, but here is some random thoughts on things that worked for me. 1. No regrets on starting Pamplona instead of St Jean. Felt good the whole way, think I realistically evaluated my fitness and abilities. 2. My slow pace, about 10 miles a day, let me enjoy it all. 3. I stayed in albergues a couple times and was massively uncomfortable- I need to use the bathroom many times in the night and just couldn't sleep. I shared private rooms with a friend I met and it was so worth it to make up refreshed . 3. Reserving ahead - yes I did! As a slow walker I wanted to relax, stop and talk to people, etc. not too far ahead until Sarria which was crowded with groups. 4. Spanish - yes! The more one can speak, the more enjoyable. Yes it can be done with no Spanish, but it will enhance the trip. 5. I was glad to have a phone, very useful for reservations, etc. 6. I was just right temperature with icebreaker shirts, nanopuff jacket, rain jacket, pack cover. 7. Yes to trail runners(no blisters no problems), hiking poles, Macabi skirt, buff. Thanks to all.
Well done and congratulations, Peter.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Will be traveling to Pamplona on 10 October to begin my Camino. I THINK that I can manage the physicality of the journey. Time will tell. My challenge will be separation from my wife for an extended period and the time alone with my thoughts and where that will take me. I guess that many pilgrims will suffer from withdrawal from their co-dependancies depending on how strongly they may be held and I will be no different. Perhaps that is my journey.

Hello from Finisterre - after beginning my Camino April 17 in Pamplona- I have made it! Happy, no problems, no injuries. I am 70 with osteoporosis, arthritis, and digestive issues. Many thanks to all of the forum members who gave me advice. I am not an expert, obviously, but here is some random thoughts on things that worked for me. 1. No regrets on starting Pamplona instead of St Jean. Felt good the whole way, think I realistically evaluated my fitness and abilities. 2. My slow pace, about 10 miles a day, let me enjoy it all. 3. I stayed in albergues a couple times and was massively uncomfortable- I need to use the bathroom many times in the night and just couldn't sleep. I shared private rooms with a friend I met and it was so worth it to make up refreshed . 3. Reserving ahead - yes I did! As a slow walker I wanted to relax, stop and talk to people, etc. not too far ahead until Sarria which was crowded with groups. 4. Spanish - yes! The more one can speak, the more enjoyable. Yes it can be done with no Spanish, but it will enhance the trip. 5. I was glad to have a phone, very useful for reservations, etc.other happy dance 6. I was just right temperature with icebreaker shirts, nanopuff jacket, rain jacket, pack cover. 7. Yes to trail runners(no blisters no problems), hiking poles, Macabi skirt, buff. Thanks to all.

yeah ....another happy dance!!

Thanks, that is very helpful, to read about your experiences and your take on things.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Wonderful ! That's how it should be. Walk at your own pace and do whatever needed it to make it a great journey for you. I pre book too and sleep in private rooms and never walk more then 15/24 km a day. I like it that way. Congrats on completing your Camino !

Congratulations, Imsundaze! Enjoy your rest in Finisterre--beautiful place. Your walking Camino has ended (unless you are going to walk back to Santiago?! :) ) and your life Camino now starts. Yay you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Congratulations! So glad that you have completed your first Camino ;)

Thank you for letting us all know how you went. Sounds like you have had a wonderful experience and now have a wealth of knowledge and experience to share with others.

And, to paraphrase the late, great Frank Sinatra, YOU DID IT YOUR WAY! That is very important to long term satisfaction.

Good on you!

Congrats on your Camino. My girlfriend and I finished our first too. Ditto on the things you mentioned. Most of all speaking Spanish. I took a short class before I left plus an online free course. It was helpful and as you mentioned the more you know the better it will enhance your experience. The people of Spain are so outgoing. When they see you trying they truly reach out and Are super helpful.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back