• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino experience

Martha Moreno

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2017
Hi everyone. I just walked the last 15 or so miles of the Camino Frances starting in Pedrouza. I was with my husband and a friend. I must say that I didn't benefit from such a small stretch as some would from the whole thing. I am a little let down after having read so much about it. I plan to do it again - at least the last 100 kms. My husband and I dedicated our pilgrimage to a seriously ill friend. I don't know what else to say. I just feel at a loose end regarding this - falling flat. I want to do something back home in the US to enhance what I was left with. - I don't even know what that is.

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.

Buen Camino.

Martha

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Perhaps someone who live in Santiago knows the numbers, but I got the impression that thousands arrive in the main square every day, mostly by bus as tourists. Do they receive some benefit from the experience? Perhaps they do, certainly the cathedral is a working church in every respect.

Most likely though, I believe that you may have touched the old saying that "its not the destination, its the journey". For me at least, I walked 35 days from St. Jean through sunny skies and cloudy, through joy and adversity, in the company of friends, and all alone. I stayed in humble, sometimes noisy and dirty albergues, and one night in a Parador. Some days came with a feeling of strength and courage, and others wondering if I could take another step on this fool's boondoggle. I shared meals with wonderful people of every age, ability and heritage, and one with people I hope to never see again. I watched the snow at the top of the Napolean give way to the fields of canola on the meseta, and then to coastal rain forest of Galicia. My feet hurt every day. My pack, that was my worst enemy the first few days, became a close companion. The anxiety, doubt, and uncertainty of St. Jean gave way to calm resolve, and a conviction that I would go the distance. I'm pretty sure that when I walked into the square, stepping around the people getting off the bus, we shared the same wonder at the beauty of the place, but probably little else. We had taken a very different journey to get to the same place.

Buen Camino to you, whatever that form may take.

Hi Martha,
If you have the time try and attend the small mass held in a side chapel for English speakers where you will be able to offer your prayers for your friend. Also visit the Pilgrim's House - see details on this forum - where you can sit among friends newly met and enjoy their camaraderie and a coffee.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi everyone. I just walked the last 15 or so miles of the Camino Frances starting in Pedrouza. I was with my husband and a friend. I must say that I didn't benefit from such a small stretch as some would from the whole thing. I am a little let down after having read so much about it. I plan to do it again - at least the last 100 kms. My husband and I dedicated our pilgrimage to a seriously ill friend. I don't know what else to say. I just feel at a loose end regarding this - falling flat. I want to do something back home in the US to enhance what I was left with. - I don't even know what that is.

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.

Buen Camino.

Martha

Hi Martha and welcome to the forum. Yes, please do visit us at Pilgrim House if you'll still be around on Monday (we're closed tomorrow). We'd love to meet you all.

It sounds like you got a taste of the Camino and of pilgrimage, and now you want to go deeper and further (as the common "Ultreia" greeting indicates - onward and upward; keep going beyond). My first time on the Camino was very similar to yours: a small group of us walked from Arzua to Santiago, staying overnight in Pedrouzo. It gave us a taste of the Camino, but it was not a day-in, day-out long pilgrimage where we could settle into a rhythm for a bit. Subsequent times on the Camino have been much deeper experiences for me, and I think if you return and can walk longer stretches it may be what you're hungry for.

Where do you live in the US? f you want to set aside more time to walk/ think/ pray when you get home, you could try going to a spiritual retreat house, getting away to somewhere like Orcas Island in WA and being quiet there, or hiking through a nearby national park. As you probably know, the American Pilgrims on the Camino also have regional chapters where they organize group hikes.

You may find this link helpful as well: https://travel.stackexchange.com/qu...grimage-journeys-to-take-in-the-usa-or-canada. And you may already be feeling the loss of your friend if the prognosis isn't good - perhaps you may just want to take some time to be with him/her and look for ways to help out - you may find that that's a "pilgrimage" or journey you need to take right now. Having said that, I hope your friend recovers and feels well soon.

Take care, and maybe we'll see you on Monday.
Welcome to Santiago!
Faith

Martha, I'm not sure if this would interest you. It starts in Colorado and goes southward. http://www.americanpilgrims.org/assets/documents/essays/carpenter_camino_norte_chimayo.pdf
This is probably too concrete an interpretation of your wanting to "do something", but it is an option that I think people are starting to do more here and might give you more of a sense of pilgrimage than the last stretch of the Camino Frances.

While not minimizing your heartfelt effort at all, it might work out better to give a different section of the Camino Frances (or another Camino altogether) a try, and give it a couple of weeks. The last 15 miles are not at all representative of what is rewarding about walking the Camino, and I can understand your feeling a bit at loose ends. The last 20K were perhaps my LEAST favorite stretch out of the entire 800+K, but they were necessary to get to Santiago and its museums, cathedral, cathedral tours, street musicians, eateries, lodging, and unique character. Buen Camino to you, however you choose to go forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps someone who live in Santiago knows the numbers, but I got the impression that thousands arrive in the main square every day, mostly by bus as tourists. Do they receive some benefit from the experience? Perhaps they do, certainly the cathedral is a working church in every respect.

Most likely though, I believe that you may have touched the old saying that "its not the destination, its the journey". For me at least, I walked 35 days from St. Jean through sunny skies and cloudy, through joy and adversity, in the company of friends, and all alone. I stayed in humble, sometimes noisy and dirty albergues, and one night in a Parador. Some days came with a feeling of strength and courage, and others wondering if I could take another step on this fool's boondoggle. I shared meals with wonderful people of every age, ability and heritage, and one with people I hope to never see again. I watched the snow at the top of the Napolean give way to the fields of canola on the meseta, and then to coastal rain forest of Galicia. My feet hurt every day. My pack, that was my worst enemy the first few days, became a close companion. The anxiety, doubt, and uncertainty of St. Jean gave way to calm resolve, and a conviction that I would go the distance. I'm pretty sure that when I walked into the square, stepping around the people getting off the bus, we shared the same wonder at the beauty of the place, but probably little else. We had taken a very different journey to get to the same place.

Thanks very much for your insights

Thanks very much for your insights!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Martha, I'm not sure if this would interest you. It starts in Colorado and goes southward. http://www.americanpilgrims.org/assets/documents/essays/carpenter_camino_norte_chimayo.pdf
This is probably too concrete an interpretation of your wanting to "do something", but it is an option that I think people are starting to do more here and might give you more of a sense of pilgrimage than the last stretch of the Camino Frances.

While not minimizing your heartfelt effort at all, it might work out better to give a different section of the Camino Frances (or another Camino altogether) a try, and give it a couple of weeks. The last 15 miles are not at all representative of what is rewarding about walking the Camino, and I can understand your feeling a bit at loose ends. The last 20K were perhaps my LEAST favorite stretch out of the entire 800+K, but they were necessary to get to Santiago and its museums, cathedral, cathedral tours, street musicians, eateries, lodging, and unique character. Buen Camino to you, however you choose to go forward.
Thank you - We are now out of Spain, although still in Europe. Thanks for your information.

Thank you for the info.

Is your name "Highlanders" as in the Scottish Highlands?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Martha and welcome to the forum. Yes, please do visit us at Pilgrim House if you'll still be around on Monday (we're closed tomorrow). We'd love to meet you all.

It sounds like you got a taste of the Camino and of pilgrimage, and now you want to go deeper and further (as the common "Ultreia" greeting indicates - onward and upward; keep going beyond). My first time on the Camino was very similar to yours: a small group of us walked from Arzua to Santiago, staying overnight in Pedrouzo. It gave us a taste of the Camino, but it was not a day-in, day-out long pilgrimage where we could settle into a rhythm for a bit. Subsequent times on the Camino have been much deeper experiences for me, and I think if you return and can walk longer stretches it may be what you're hungry for.

Where do you live in the US? f you want to set aside more time to walk/ think/ pray when you get home, you could try going to a spiritual retreat house, getting away to somewhere like Orcas Island in WA and being quiet there, or hiking through a nearby national park. As you probably know, the American Pilgrims on the Camino also have regional chapters where they organize group hikes.

You may find this link helpful as well: https://travel.stackexchange.com/qu...grimage-journeys-to-take-in-the-usa-or-canada. And you may already be feeling the loss of your friend if the prognosis isn't good - perhaps you may just want to take some time to be with him/her and look for ways to help out - you may find that that's a "pilgrimage" or journey you need to take right now. Having said that, I hope your friend recovers and feels well soon.

Take care, and maybe we'll see you on Monday.
Welcome to Santiago!
Faith
Faith - Thank you for your kind words. Unfortunately, I just read them now and I am no longer in Spain. However, the next time I go, which I hope will be soon, I will stop the pilgrimage house.

God Bless!

Martha

Faith - Thank you for your kind words. Unfortunately, I just read them now and I am no longer in Spain. However, the next time I go, which I hope will be soon, I will stop the pilgrimage house.

God Bless!

Martha

Good to hear from you, Martha. Enjoy the rest of your time in Europe!
God bless you.
Faith

You know, I think I am just going to let the experience percolate for a week or two and then I will be back with some more cogent thoughts on the matter.

God bless!

Martha

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
... My husband and I dedicated our pilgrimage to a seriously ill friend. I don't know what else to say. I just feel at a loose end regarding this - falling flat. I want to do something back home in the US to enhance what I was left with. - I don't even know what that is.
It is your heart and intentions that count, not the kilometers/miles that you have walked. If you want to do something back in the States to make our planet a better place -ask your ill friend what s/he would do if s/he could.

Buen Camino, SY

You know, I think I am just going to let the experience percolate for a week or two and then I will be back with some more cogent thoughts on the matter.

God bless!

Martha

I could not agree more with SY's comment above. As she says, a journey of self discovery or transformation is not about miles walked, its about your intentions. It has nothing to do with walking or suffering, its about time to reflect. It takes as long as it takes. Going out on a limb here, it sounds like maybe your pilgrimage continues onto a transatlantic flight.

Buen Camino

Is your name "Highlanders" as in the Scottish Highlands?
Sadly, No:(. The mountain area where I live in the U.S. is loosely referred to as The Highlands, and we have Highlands Games every year to celebrate a link that the area has to Scotland - a week during which men who compete in the traditional Scottish games are all over town in their kilts.

If you like Scotland, there was just a post here about their old pilgrimage routes being re-developed to St. Andrew. Of them, St. Margaret's Way in particular looked like it had a lot of coastal walking. They're talking about opening churches for pilgrims to stay in. I'd wanted to do the John Muir Way, but the lodging is limited and sold out even months out. That might be something to keep an eye on as their plans develop:)

Last edited by a moderator:

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
On the Camino Del Norte. Surprised by the amount of pilgrims. Many mature pilgrims, like myself with a few Caminos under their belt, mostly appear to be staying in hotels. If staying in hotels be...
Hi I just joined and will be doing a solo walk from SJPP to Finisterre in May Jun 2025... long time to go yet but VV excited ... will be finalising dates and flights from Canberra as soon as...
Hello Pilgrims, I am Brendan an Australian Scot. I am new to the forum, but not new to the Camino. On Tuesday May 28 I will start on my seventh Camino the Norte from San Sebastián. I will try and...
For those of you who are using the ATM colour chart. One bank is suggested at less than 2 Euro when in fact was 4.50 Euro per withdrawal
I am looking for people who want to walk the camino del norte in may 2025 - starting from Irun, Bilbao or another place. Nice to hear from you.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.