• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino experience

Walking Nature World

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (2018)
Hello everyone! We are going to start Camino de Santiago del Norte this September 1st and we just wanted to ask for some advice or something that it is necessary to know beforehand, any comment from someone more experienced than us will be appreciated. Thanks.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You will probably soon find out how far you can go with growing confidence, an open heart and a smile. Especially a smile. It's not all that complicated. Enjoy, and buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
best advice? Don't worry about a single thing. Everything takes care of itself. You will discover many things, but the thing I remember most is that I derived so much happiness from the simplest of things. An orange at a donativo stand...a simple man handing me a beer as I was exiting town on a very hot day...a simple bed...a nice shower. Delight in those things and the Camino will mean a ton to you.

The Camino does as the Camino wills! Each of my five Caminos were begun thinking I’d had a good plan. You would think by then I’d have a great plan. Nope...although I gained in knowledge I was still struck by the many, and varied, NEW experiences each step along the Way. Open your mind to the unexpected. Your body to the unprepared. And, your heart to the unbelievable.
Buen Camino
Arn

Welcome to the forum. Take some time to look around at the various forums and subjects available here. You should find the answers to many of your questions...and some answers to questions you did not know you had. ;) .
Feel very free and welcome to ask any question you like.
I am sitting my camino from SJP and would like to know if one can continue (after arrival at Compostela ) on to Portugal, specifically Lourdes? Or does one need an additional visa.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am sitting my camino from SJP and would like to know if one can continue (after arrival at Compostela ) on to Portugal, specifically Lourdes? Or does one need an additional visa.
. Starting my camino....

Hello, I will be starting the same journey two days behind you. Based on my past camino treks my best advice is to not over plan or over think this journey. Leave room for a little serendipity to happen. Getting lost isn't really that big of a deal here, it's not the rocky mountains or alps. Hike your own hike, don't feel pressured or obligated to become part of the groups that form unless you want to. Listen to your body and start slow you will build up conditioning as the days pass. Do decide if you want more natural trails or if the paved parts are ok. There are great options to avoid a good amount of the road walking. Postings on this site have links to off road GR trails that intertwine with the official camino. I'm using those along with the Wise Pilgrim book/app and the Northern Caminos Cicerone book to chart my course. Enjoy your journey!
Frank

Hello everyone! We are going to start Camino de Santiago del Norte this September 1st and we just wanted to ask for some advice or something that it is necessary to know beforehand, any comment from someone more experienced than us will be appreciated. Thanks.
Enjoy every minute.....take as many coastal diviations you possibly can....you will be rewarded with stunning views, solitary beaches where you can delight in the local wine, cheese, etc that you packed to keep you nourished until you reach your next destination.....stop at the convents and monasteries....they are beautiful.....while there, ring the bell and purchase a rosary, soap, wine, beer, or whatever they are offering.....be generous to fellow pilgrims who may be in need of food or water or a kind ear and/or encouraging word....be open to all the Camino de Santiago desires to give you in return for the commitment you made to her......it has truly been one of the greatest gifts of my life......Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, Travelite,

Maybe you mean Fatima in Portugal? Because Lourdes is in France and quite close to SJPdP (Google Maps shows me 151km with a car).
If you already have a visa for EU/Schengen zone or if you don't need one at all then there are no border controls between the countries. You just walk/ride from one to another.

Buen Camino!

Hi, Travelite,

Maybe you mean Fatima in Portugal? Because Lourdes is in France and quite close to SJPdP (Google Maps shows me 151km with a car).
If you already have a visa for EU/Schengen zone or if you don't need one at all then there are no border controls between the countries. You just walk/ride from one to another.

Buen Camino!
Ha ha. Trust me. Always bad at geography! I did actually mean Fatima. So I can actually do both Fatima and Lourdes!!!! . Thanks, Kinkyone.you've made my day. God bless.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Hi, Walking Nature, and welcome to the Forum. . . :)

There have been several great suggestions in previous posts. Grayland's comments echo my thoughts. Write down thoughts or questions as they pop into your mind. Go to the search engine and plug in the topic of your question and there will be a good amount of information for your to look at and consider.

I know time is getting close for your departure, and you must feel a lot of excitement (and a bit of stress, I'm sure). If you start to feel a tad overwhelmed or anxious, just take some deep breaths, close your eyes, and focus on the reasons why you decided to go on Camino. That will help you to refocus yourself away from the self doubts and concerns, and back to the positive aspects of doing Camino. :)

Hi again Walking Nature World, I just checked out your youtube channel ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChqVjnMgMFspKhKcEz8kIkQ ) very well done beautiful videos. Based on your trekking experiences you will have no problems with your Norte adventure. Looking forward to seeing your video on your Camino. I never knew about the little yellow Pyrenees train, looks like a great trip and one that is now on my must do list.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We all have misgivings, more so the first time. Gaining a little more confidence each day is a good feeling. There will always be someone there when you really need help. Take one step at a time. Walk your own Camino. The best way to do this is by LISTENING TO YOUR BODY! Walk when your body says go. Stop when it tells you. Eat when your stomach growls. Feel your pain and learn what is the pain of growing and getting stronger and the pain that can be destructive and is telling you STOP and rest for a day. I have met hundreds of pilgrims over the years. 9 our of 10 Pilgrims who struggled the most where the ones who pushed on foolishly because they had to keep up with their new Camino family. Worry not, take care of yourself and you will be fine. There is always going to be a new experience every day that the universe has planned just for you!

Hey!
The best advice is that you listen to your own body.
Go out in the morning to get on the move,
when the day shines warmly on the heavy walk.
Camino Norte is well marked, yellow arrows are really visible.
The starting point for the San Sebastian, the path is quite heavy.
There is also good guides and phone applications to track Camino Norte.
Much of the hikers did not travel when we were with our partner in Northe in
April-May. There are not so many shops or bars in Nortel so make sure that
you have food next morning and day.
The accommodations are good quality, clean and not expensive.
Good hiking to Camino Norte.
ps. I made my hiking with six-year-old winter shoes.

Just wishing you the best for your Camino. My wife and I are starting on the 7th of September and truly looking forward to time with each other and with God. Thanks all of the regulars on the forum for all the advice we have read and tried to sort through to find what is best for us.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.