• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino, Starting March 16th...

nadine.levin

Hey Everyone,

I'm doing my first Camino, following the Camino del Norte from Ronscevalles to Santiago, starting this March 16th. I'm doing it solo (although I'm looking forward to meeting lots of characters along the way), and hoping to take about 28 days total. I cannot convey how excited I am to get started :)

A few questions:

Getting to Ronscevalles: I fly into Barcelona-Girona mid-day Saturday 14th of March. I'm planning on staying in Barcelona for the night, then hoping on a train/bus to Pamplona in the morning. From the info I found online, it looks like the only transportation from Pamplona to Ronscevalles is a bus on weekdays at 6:00pm? I want to get started Monday morning, so I was thinking of taking a taxi from Pamplona to Ronscevalles.
Does anyone have any info on this, perhaps a taxi number?

Pilgrim's Menu: I don't eat read meat (for a variety of reasons), and I was wondering if this will be a problem if I want to eat the Menu del Dia? I eat fish and chicken, just no pork or beef. Any insight?

Thanks!
Nadine

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Nadine, I will be sarting at SJPP on the morning of the 16th, I might not catch up with you as you start at Roncenvalles, however I share same concerns about food as I have only eaten fish and vegetables for the last 23 years. There must be at the least bread, pastas, vegetables and fruit on the way and if lucky some fresh fish.

I am a little concerned that the way from SJPP might strain the legs a bit to much for the beginning of the journey and I am contemplating on taking a taxi to Roncenvalles and begin the journey from there, just a little worry that I feel I am cheating my self by starting with a taxi :)

I wish you a great journey and maybe we meet on the way.
Olafur from Iceland

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey Johnnie, I am travelling Iceland-Stansted-Biarritz-SJPP.

I have been under the impression that SJPP was the official starting point of Camino Frances, Pherhaps it might be wise to skip the climb to Roncesvalles and start from there ?

If I go directly from Biarritz to Roncesvalles, will I get my pilgrimpass in Roncesvalles or do I pick it up at SJPP ?

Olafur - there is no "official" starting point indeed I suspect the majority of pilgrims start in Roncesvalles! Spanish people certainly start there - why would they start in France?

You can obtain a credencial and your first stamp in Roncesvalles, attend the Pilgrims' Mass, have dinner with the other pilgrims around and spend the night in the Albergue.

You still have time to get a hold of a copy of the CSJ guide to the Camino Frances - it tells you everything you need to know:

http://www.csj.org.uk/acatalog/The_CSJ_ ... in_23.html

Time is short. Order it and pay for it on line then e mail or better still telephone the Office in view of your departure date:

Tel: (+44) (0)20 7928 9988
Fax: (+44) (0)20 7928 2844

Thanks Johnnie, I have only two days left in Iceland and to late to have a book sent to Iceland, maybe I can have it sent to Radison hotel at London stansted airport where I will be staying one night from saturday 14th to morning of sunday 15th. Can I not obtain books like that at Roncesvalles or on the way ?

Now I am realy considering starting at Roncesvalles, why take the risk of injury on the first day, I have been trhough several mountain passes in Iceland so done that :)

Now just a question of getting to Roncesvalles from Birritz quickly as I land at the airport 15:05 in the afternoon and it must take some time to get there, specially if I want to attend the ceremony.

Is the pilgrim office in Roncesvalles open in the evening ?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes - they will send the book to wherever you ask them. Don't rely on picking up a decent guidebook en route.

Yes - the pilgrim's office in Roncesvalles is open in the evening

Good luck!

Let us know how you get on.

Nadine - email Caroline Aphessetche at apcaroline@hotmail.com to arrange a lift from Pamplona to Roncesvalles. She runs her the Express Burricot (little donkey) service and carts peregrinos over the mountain every day at about 11am and then 4pm with pilgrims sharing the taxi cost. It could be as low as 9 euro if there are enough of you - or 30 euro if only one or two. She'll drop you off in Roncesvalles on her way.

The pilgrims' menus nearly all offer chicken or pork so you should be OK. If not, order fish from the main menu - it will be cheaper than the 10 euro for the menu del peregrino.

Olaf - you can get from Biarritz to St Jean and get Caroline's Express Burricot to Roncesvalles. Or, train to Irun and then to Pamplona and then a bus to Roncesvalles.

Thanks Sil, I have sent an email to Caroline to find information on timetables if I might need her services. This is Nadias thread but I have been busy here :)

Can you ore someone inform us on how many leave SJPP or Roncesvalles daily this time of year, at average ?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There aren't any up-to-date stats yet but here are some for a few years up to 2007 - taken from:

http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org

If you spread out the ± 450 pilgrims in March over 30 days, there are not too many passing through or starting at St Jean in March.

The table highlights the popularity of May and August with significant increases of 127% and 124%

2004 2005 2006 2007
March 453 443
April 2325 2007 2427 3324 134%
May 3946 4651 4749 6025 127%
June 2731 3382 3791 4342 115%
July 3288 3945 3850 4366 113%
Aug 4001 4240 4536 5605 124%
Sept 3241 3569 3991 4820 121%
Oct 1232 1183 1477 1570 106%
Nov 196 169

Interesting figures Sil, huge difference between months, good thing is the way will not be to crowded and no need to rush to next sleeping place :)

I received an answer from Caroline and she does not start the service untoll March 24th, here is her reply:
-------------------------------
Hello, i am sorry, but i begin my job the 24th of march,
sorry,
caroline

Express Bourricot
Transport de bagages et personnes
31 rue de la citadelle
64220 Saint jean Pied de port

-------------------------------

I shoud be able to take a taxi from SJPP if I decide to head to Roncesvalles for the start, I am like a jojo on this, but if there are not many or any pilgims starting my day from SJPP, I would prefer not to be alone on the road the first day :) ... or even a taxi straight from Biarritz, I will look into that and post info if I find it.

Thanks for letting me know about Caroline's starting date.
You could probably hitch a ride to Roncesvalles. Many pilgrims do this.

Last year Biarritz or Bayonne to St Jean by taxi was 100 € - 110 € if it is after 8pm.

http://www.taxis-biarritz.fr/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was also contemplating starting from SJPP, but decided on Ronscevalles instead because I did not want to run this risk of going through the mountains in bad weather. I've heard it's very scenic, however, so I guess you have to decide what's more important...

Too bad that the taxi service isn't running yet. The Cofraternity guidebook lists a number, so I'll probably try to call that, but if anyone else has info that would be much appreciated.

Looking forward to hopefully running into all of you on the Camino!

N

As to how many leave from Roncesvalles at this time of year...
I walked at this time a year ago. I think there were about 10 of is in the albergue at Roncesvalles. Until the holy week there were anywhere from about 4-12 of us in the albergues at night. Holy week, of course, brought up the numbers. And from Sarria on there were quite a few as well. It was never crowded though and always easy to find a place to stay.

nadine.levin said:
Pilgrim's Menu: I don't eat read meat (for a variety of reasons), and I was wondering if this will be a problem if I want to eat the Menu del Dia? I eat fish and chicken, just no pork or beef. Any insight?
Nadine, Olafur,

Most restaurants are flexible about menus, so they can provide menus without red meat and even only with vegetables. Just ask before take your seat on a table. No problem. I've walked several times with people who don't take red meat and even "food from suffering animals" (Âżis it correct?)

Buen Camino, enjoy it.

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back