• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First pilgrimage in September/October

Liddybee

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances September 2017
Porto to Santiago September 2018
Via Francigena Upcoming in 2020
I have flights booked already and plan on starting the Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port on September 8 2017. I have just over five weeks and although I'd love to get to Santiago I plan on taking things one day at a time while there and if I don't get to Santiago then I'll just have to finish another year. After all, this walk is about slowing down and simplifying life. Maybe for me stopping to smell the roses will beat out making a run to the end!
I've been amazed at the wealth of knowledge shared on this forum and the positivity that abounds. Thank you! I'm sure I'll see more of that on the Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You'll love it. It has been one of the most amazing adventures I've ever had and there are also so many opportunities for self-growth and increasing self-awareness than I have ever encountered anywhere.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have flights booked already and plan on starting the Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port on September 8 2017.
Just go out and enjoy your walk Liddybee. This is going to be the most incredible decision you have ever made. The thought of walking 800 km carrying everything you need on your back for 5 weeks is scary, but you can do it. Then come back to this site and help future pilgrims overcome their fears.

Sept 14th 2014 I started from Vancouver Island ... sea plane to Vancover... then Toronto .. to Paris ... another flight ...train ...bus .. to SJPDP. Left SJPDP Sept 14 Napoleon route ... sunshine ... oh so beautiful. Arrived Santiago October 26. Frost mornings ... short days. It was life altering experience that I had trained for mentally, physically and spiritually. Becoming a pilgrim changed my life and the lives of so many I met all around the world that I continue to be close to. You have been blessed to have been called to the Camino and it will change your life too. The biggest decision you've done which is clicking your mouse and buying a ticket!! You sound very ready ... at least in spirit.
Pack light but well. Once you arrive SJPDP and take your first step ... so much anxiety will disappear like magic. Keep your mind and heart open ... spend a lot of time alone too ... the Camino only gives up its secrets if you walk alone.
God bless you.
Buen Camino Liddybee ...

I have flights booked already and plan on starting the Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port on September 8 2017. I have just over five weeks and although I'd love to get to Santiago I plan on taking things one day at a time while there and if I don't get to Santiago then I'll just have to finish another year. After all, this walk is about slowing down and simplifying life. Maybe for me stopping to smell the roses will beat out making a run to the end!
I've been amazed at the wealth of knowledge shared on this forum and the positivity that abounds. Thank you! I'm sure I'll see more of that on the Camino.
i left sept 1st and made it to santiago on oct 7th with 2 rest days...have a great trip

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Liddybee! Big change we will meet! I will start walking 6 september from St JpdP to Burgos in 3 weeks and that is plenty of time for that distance. I'm a slow walker too. Last year I walked from Burgos into SdC in 5 weeks and I liked it so much that I cannot resist to go again. I felt so free walking from one day into another, carrying with me all stuff I needed for that moment. Enjoying nature and meeting people of all over the world. It was not bad at all to sleep in one room with others with the same intentions.
Enjoy your preparations and Buen Camino!

Congratulation Liddybee! I walked from SJPP Sept 5, 2016 to Santiago Oct. 7... I am still in awe of this experience and feel so glad for you. Yes, indeed this forum was my Camino family before getting there. I was amazed how all my research and planning went out the window ounce I got there.... I also had over five weeks but I made some friend and carried on with them. I made it in 31 days... In hindsight, two rest days would have been wise and way less time in Santiago! Also keep in mind that if you do have 2 or 3 days "extra", you can bus to Finisterre, spend the night, see the sunset, walk the beach and bus back to Santiago. It was sublime!!! (Just curious... Did you book West jet to Gatwick? I am from the west coast of BC)

My wife and I started the end of August the other year and finished in mid October. We took out time and looked behind us a lot and stopped in cities for a couple of days and got nice hotels. If you don't finish it is no big deal because the part you will have done will be fantastic and you will want to go back again anyway

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Congratulation Liddybee! I walked from SJPP Sept 5, 2016 to Santiago Oct. 7... I am still in awe of this experience and feel so glad for you. Yes, indeed this forum was my Camino family before getting there. I was amazed how all my research and planning went out the window ounce I got there.... I also had over five weeks but I made some friend and carried on with them. I made it in 31 days... In hindsight, two rest days would have been wise and way less time in Santiago! Also keep in mind that if you do have 2 or 3 days "extra", you can bus to Finisterre, spend the night, see the sunset, walk the beach and bus back to Santiago. It was sublime!!! (Just curious... Did you book West jet to Gatwick? I am from the west coast of BC)
I looked at traveling through Gatwick or Dublin before settling on Paris after Air Transat came up with a big sale. Another bonus there was one less country and so one less customs/immigration line-up. I decided to spend the dollars saved on the transAtlantic flight on a flight to Biarritz that will allow me to get to SJPdP the day I arrive in France. I'd rather stay there and begin enjoying the pilgrim experience than stay en route.

Hi Liddybee,
I also flew to Biarritz and went right away to SJPP. I did not have transportation booked from Biarritz to SJPP but I needed not be too concerned as the bus is right outside that takes you to the train station in Bayonne. It was a joy to take the bus and the train with other pilgrims... If your flight arrives early enough, I highly suggest to enjoy the public transportation... fun and affordable! Also, have you booked an Albergue in SJPP yet? I stayed at Beilari and it was wonderful! Right across from the Pilgrim's office. They will accept two night stay from people who comes from long distance in multiple flights... I did stay 2 nights and it was a very good idea but I had made a reservation in Orisson as well thinking that I might still be jet lag but in was excessive! Arrived in Orisson at 10 am and was full of enthusiasm to keep going, so I did! (did not get my $$ back though...) Hope this is a little helpfull.
Buen Camino

A huge thanks to all for your encouragement and well wishes and my apologies for not having acknowledged you earlier. The latter part of February and all of March was spent dealing with medical issues for my ailing mother and my husband. I thought long and hard about whether I should cancel my trip but in the end decided to stick with my plans - I can always cancel last minute if I need to. I also realized life is never perfect and comes with no guarantees so there will never be a perfect time to go on an extended trip such as the Camino. Plus, I really think I need some time to reflect, ponder, give thanks, and yes, selfishly, spend some time by myself. The Camino still calls me!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Liddybee that's the same date my partner and I start from SJPDP. I agree, it really is about the journey. Hopefully we will see you 'on the road.'

Hi Liddybee that's the same date my partner and I start from SJPDP. I agree, it really is about the journey. Hopefully we will see you 'on the road.'
Just us and 200 or so other pilgrims apparently!
I have reservations at Orisson that first night since I'll likely have some jet-lag still after coming in from Canada. Are you pushing right on to Roncesvalle? I'm getting more and more excited and can't wait for September to come. Training is OK but...I want the real thing now!

awesome time to go
the locals told me that the seasons appear to have shifted with more summer like weather in September than used to be.
And, even with a non urgent pace, you will probably find that 5 weeks is plenty of time to see you arrive in Santiago
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just us and 200 or so other pilgrims apparently!
I have reservations at Orisson that first night since I'll likely have some jet-lag still after coming in from Canada. Are you pushing right on to Roncesvalle? I'm getting more and more excited and can't wait for September to come. Training is OK but...I want the real thing now![/QUOTE We are planning to stay at Orisson, have contact them re booking the 8th Sept, we did book the 7th Sept but changed. Not heard back yet re changing to the 8th, fingers crossed. We need to start doing some training! We still need to get most of our gear. Like you we are both excited.

I'll see if I can find you at Orisson to say a quick hello. Happy training!

I'll see if I can find you at Orisson to say a quick hello. Happy training!
Hi we are booked into the gite Kayola, apparently 15 minutes walk from the refuge at Orisson[ Orisson full on the 8th Sept] We will see if we can book in for dinner at the Orisson refuge. Be lovely to be able to say hello.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi there, I am leaving Calgary too on the 6th of Sept and hoping to start on the 8th or 9th from SJPDP. Bought a one way ticket as I am not sure about how long I want to take. Getting excited, as this is my first time as well. Leaving the safety net of family and friends, the Pilgrimage will start well before reaching SJPDP for me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello. Even I plan on starting on the 8th from SJPDP. However, I will be going to Roncesvalles. Look forward to meeting you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello. Even I plan on starting on the 8th from SJPDP. However, I will be going to Roncesvalles. Look forward to meeting you.
I'm sure our paths will cross Mayuresh.
Buen Camino

Hi we are booked into the gite Kayola, apparently 15 minutes walk from the refuge at Orisson[ Orisson full on the 8th Sept] We will see if we can book in for dinner at the Orisson refuge. Be lovely to be able to say hello.
How it all going? Not that long to go now. I must start training. Hope we see you soon.

Oops just posted a reply to myself. Hope all going well and that we can say hello at Orisson on the 8/9. Not long to go.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back