• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time at 50

Sharon Kopil

Time of past OR future Camino
November 18 (2018)
Hi I’m from Wakefield Quebec and I’m planning on hiking the Camino for 10 days at the end Of November as I turn 50 years old on November 29th. I’ve been thinking about this for quite awhile, other ideas come up to celebrate my half century birthday but then I always come back to the Camino. I will be researching which part I should do given that I’ve only got about 10 days and also given the time of year that I’ll be going. Probably 19 to 29th I imagine. I am more interested in experiencing the feelings and solitude and wonder of life on the trail rather than getting anywhere fast. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm also doing this to celebrate my first half century on this earth!

I had expected to do it last year, right before I turned fifty, but instead decided to do it before I turned 51 for logistics reasons.

Buen camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think it will depend on what sort of terrain you like and what the weather conditions will be at that time of year. You might think about making last minute changes to your route if your chosen one has predicted severe weather and another area has better predictions. Buses are available to help with last minutes changes. Then trust that all will work out well! :)
Welcome to the Forum, and Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh that’s great!!! It’s a good year for it I’m seeing! It would have been great to be walking it at the same time!

Sarria to Fisterra via Santiago ought to do it. On a clear night you can see Canada from the light house (thats a lie by the way ;))
Super! That really helps to give me a good start to my research... thank-you so much! And it’ll be good to get a different perspective on the view of Canada

I'm leaving for a 10 day Camino on Thursday from Vancouver. My first was last Sep-Nov.

I'm doing Pamplona-Burgos as it's less busy than the Sarria section and the people there are still very early in their journey so it's easier to connect with people as everyone is still in the first week of school mode as opposed to feeling like a late semester transfer student on the Sarria-Santiago section as people have been walking together for weeks by then.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Would 10 days be enough to walk from Leon or Astorga? Ponferrada?

Any of those starting points would be a hoot!

We are all different on this forum and it is all good. What I am giving you is just my opinion. Given the time of year you will be walking, I would second walking from Ponferrada to Santiago. I would not try to walk to Finisterre at that time of year just because of the season which means not all albergues are open and thus some of the stages are long and the walking can get very lonely. Also the reason for your pilgrimage means that finishing in Santiago on November 29 would be special. The catch is that walking Ponferrada to Santiago in 10 days would mean walking at least 22 kms per day. When I walk, I prefer an average of around 20 and probably a bit less than that for the first couple of weeks. Would it matter if you had to catch a taxi or bus to keep to your schedule?
Buen camino, peregrina.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I too, recommend starting in Ponferrada if you have only 10 days and want to qualify for a Compostela. I have walked that stretch three times and you should be able to do it.

There are very good bus and rail connections from Madrid, even from the airport. Most folks will start at the large Albergue St. Nicholas on the edge of the old town. However, I recommend booking a hotel for the first night you arrive. The next day, swing by the St. Nicholas Albergue EARLY to get your first stamp and just follow the others leaving there enroute to Santiago. You will meet people and make friends for life long the way.

I did my first Camino (Frances) in 2013. I like to say that I started when I was 59 and arrived at Santiago when I was 60. However, that is a stretch. I actually arrived some days earlier and celebrated the first half of my life (I was being optimistic) on my 60th birthday during the first week of June. Lucky me, they even trotted out the Botafumeiro...;)

It was a very special event.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi I’m from Wakefield Quebec and I’m planning on hiking the Camino for 10 days at the end Of November as I turn 50 years old on November 29th. I’ve been thinking about this for quite awhile, other ideas come up to celebrate my half century birthday but then I always come back to the Camino. I will be researching which part I should do given that I’ve only got about 10 days and also given the time of year that I’ll be going. Probably 19 to 29th I imagine. I am more interested in experiencing the feelings and solitude and wonder of life on the trail rather than getting anywhere fast. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it!
I am 2 years short of 80 and am planning to start in Pamplona with a couple of friends. We will walk as much as we can but there are buses, taxis, even a donkey. Have fun - everyone does their own Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I too, recommend starting in Ponferrada if you have only 10 days and want to qualify for a Compostela. I have walked that stretch three times and you should be able to do it.

There are very good bus and rail connections from Madrid, even from the airport. Most folks will start at the large Albergue St. Nicholas on the edge of the old town. However, I recommend booking a hotel for the first night you arrive. The next day, swing by the St. Nicholas Albergue EARLY to get your first stamp and just follow the others leaving there enroute to Santiago. You will meet people and make friends for life long the way.

I did my frist Camino (Frances) in 2013. I like to say that I started when I was 59 and arrived at Santiago when I was 60. However, that is a stretch. I actually arrived some days earlier and celebrated the first half of my life (I was being optimistic) on my 60th birthday during the first week of June. Lucky me, they even trotted out the Botafumeiro...;)

It was a very special event.

Hope this helps.
This helps immensely! Thank you so much. What a birthday present to have witnessed the Botafumeiro!
And you as well would recommend this rather than starting at Sarria to Fisterra and timing to arrive in Santiago on my birthday en route?
Thanks for your help

I am 2 years short of 80 and am planning to start in Pamplona with a couple of friends. We will walk as much as we can but there are buses, taxis, even a donkey. Have fun - everyone does their own Camino
Oh that’s brilliant advice Chris! Thank-you!

Hi Sharon! I'm also a Canadian pilgrim (PEI) and I walked the CF to celebrate my 50th; as I was walking it, I said to myself "I needed a better reason!" but I think ten days will be perfect. It will be a challenge at that time of the year but weather will be nothing you haven't seen here at home. Now, when I think about my Camino, it is with pleasure and pride, a few good laughs and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I wish you a very early Happy Birthday and a Buen Camino. All the best.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Sharon. I think that the walk from Pamplona to Burgos is perfect for a 10 day hike. It offers a bit of everything you mention and is a very good section to experience some urban as well as rural life in Spain. Of course it doesn't get you to Santiago, but Burgos does have perhaps an even more impressive cathedral and there are many other ancient sites along the way. And as a bonus, once you get to Burgos, you might just decide to resume your camino at some future time! Whatever you decide, I wish you a buen camino! :)

Hello Sharon, and welcome here.

I will not give you any advice on where to start/stop your Camino. I can see others have done so, and if you insist, more will chime in, I am sure. :)

The reason I do not recommend any starting point, is that it is so hard: Whatever I recommend, for your schedule, you will miss out on something I would recommend.

Instead, I am happy that you, at the age of 50, have decided to do this walk. It may be a lifechanger for you, in ways you cannot possibly understand now. First, you have to walk the walk. But you see some hardcore hangarounds in here (me included), so I guess you get the hint.

I can also say, that so many people start out on this walk as an "adventure", "holiday", "celebration" etc., but by the end of the day (walk), something profound has changed them on The Way. I hope you find that change during your walking days.

Buen Camino!

Ultreya y suseia!

Hi Sharon, I’m from a Ottawa, currently in Slovakia, 60 and in 4 days starting to walk the Camino del Norte alone (my first was last March - the entire Frances). I’ll be back in Ottawa early June and I’d be happy to meet and share experience. I hiked Wolfe Trail to train for the Camino last year. Let me know if you wish to meet.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sharon, my wife and I on our first Camino started in Ponferrada and it was 9 days of walking to Santiago. It is an easy bus ride to Ponferrada from Madrid. If you decide on this as your route, you may wish to take a cab back to Cruz de Fero (roughly 30 kilometres east of Ponferrada) as this is where the iron cross and where Pilgrims leave their stones and give thanks.

You could either walk back to Ponferrada or just walk back to the next village and cab back to Ponferrada, although the walk from Cruz de Fero to Ponferrada is great. You could probably even get the cab to wait if time is pressing while visiting the cross.

When we walked in 2014 on this stretch from Ponferrada to Santiago, we had no idea going into it, we would come back to Spain and Portugal in the three subsequent years. We wanted to get to Santiago in our first year and get our compostela. Before we went on this Camino we fully believed that it would be a one time thing. This fall the Camino San Salvador and Camino Primitivo beckons us.

You will soon see that there are a large number of members here that have been on multiple walking's of the Francis route as well as numerous other routes as well.

Camino life is addictive, just be aware!

Buen Camino and safe travels!

Hi Sharon! I'm also a Canadian pilgrim (PEI) and I walked the CF to celebrate my 50th; as I was walking it, I said to myself "I needed a better reason!" but I think ten days will be perfect. It will be a challenge at that time of the year but weather will be nothing you haven't seen here at home. Now, when I think about my Camino, it is with pleasure and pride, a few good laughs and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I wish you a very early Happy Birthday and a Buen Camino. All the best.
Thank-you for sharing and also for the kind reality check! Lol

Hi, Sharon,
Let me add my welcome to the forum. I always feel a particular kinship with young 'uns turning 50 who decide to launch their second half century on the Camino. That is what I did in 2000 and it has turned into a life-long love (some would say addiction) and an annual walk. You've gotten good suggestions and encouragement here, so I just want to add my voice to that and wish you a very buen camino, and maybe many more! Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Sharon,
Let me add my welcome to the forum. I always feel a particular kinship with young 'uns turning 50 who decide to launch their second half century on the Camino. That is what I did in 2000 and it has turned into a life-long love (some would say addiction) and an annual walk. You've gotten good suggestions and encouragement here, so I just want to add my voice to that and wish you a very buen camino, and maybe many more! Laurie
Thank-you so much Laurie! It’s still 9 months away but I’m getting so excited and it’s feeling so real with all these words of encouragement on here already from all over the world! Wow!

Sharon, my wife and I on our first Camino started in Ponferrada and it was 9 days of walking to Santiago. It is an easy bus ride to Ponferrada from Madrid. If you decide on this as your route, you may wish to take a cab back to Cruz de Fero (roughly 30 kilometres east of Ponferrada) as this is where the iron cross and where Pilgrims leave their stones and give thanks.

You could either walk back to Ponferrada or just walk back to the next village and cab back to Ponferrada, although the walk from Cruz de Fero to Ponferrada is great. You could probably even get the cab to wait if time is pressing while visiting the cross.

When we walked in 2014 on this stretch from Ponferrada to Santiago, we had no idea going into it, we would come back to Spain and Portugal in the three subsequent years. We wanted to get to Santiago in our first year and get our compostela. Before we went on this Camino we fully believed that it would be a one time thing. This fall the Camino San Salvador and Camino Primitivo beckons us.

You will soon see that there are a large number of members here that have been on multiple walking's of the Francis route as well as numerous other routes as well.

Camino life is addictive, just be aware!

Buen Camino and safe travels!
This is such wonderful advice! I will base my plan on this, sounds perfect for what I’d like to do! Thank-you so much!!

Hi Sharon, I’m from a Ottawa, currently in Slovakia, 60 and in 4 days starting to walk the Camino del Norte alone (my first was last March - the entire Frances). I’ll be back in Ottawa early June and I’d be happy to meet and share experience. I hiked Wolfe Trail to train for the Camino last year. Let me know if you wish to meet.
Hi Colette,
That’s brilliant! You must be in the trail now! Good luck!! I would definitely like to meet you and talk this summer :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.