• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time old phart

Mike Blackard

Time of past OR future Camino
CF -Sept.-Oct 2018 , CF Aug- Oct 2019
(CF or VdlP summer/fall 2020)
Fly from Seattle Sept. 3, 2018 (1:45pm) - arrive Gatwick Sept. 4 (7:00 AM) & fly to Biarritz, (1:00PM to 4:00PM then train from Bayonne (6:30 PM) to St. Jean (hopefully by 7:30ish PM). Start moving these 68 year old bones on Sept. 5, but planning on easy first day only to Orisson.. Master plan is to meet daughter and son-in-law in Sarria on October 6, and the 3 of us will finish together starting on the7th. With any luck I can spend 2 nights in Pamplona, 2 nights in Burgos, 2 nights in Sarria, arrive Santiago Oct. 11, fly to Madrid late afternoon Oct. 12, 2 nights in Madrid, fly back to US on Oct.14. Should be a great 6 week pilgrimage.
I've been breaking in my Merrill trail runners and 41 liter Osprey backpack, with 20 lbs cargo on two mountain day hikes in the Cascades and multiple 8 to 12 km walks on local trails. Need to step it up a bit to 20-25 km walks for several days in a row. That's what August is for. So far NO BLISTERS - thanks to Forum advice about Vaseline, thin liner socks and merino wool socks. Decided to use 8 oz. bag liner instead of 3 lb sleeping bag. See you on the trail amigos - Buen Camino. Mike

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Sounds like a good plan - you've obviously done your research, especially about blisters!

Just be aware that if your flight to Biarritz is delayed you may need to get a taxi to Bayonne railway station (or maybe you had planned to do that anyway - I always take the bus.)

Buen Camino, from a (very slightly) younger phart.

prepare for the surprise you will get when you find out, you will not be the only old Phart on the trail, and not the oldest either..
according to statistics we, the happy old phantastic pharts, make up 25% of the crowds that walk the Way !
see:
https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/statistics/

Buena Suerta

Last edited:
Having ditched the bag (good idea - September in Spain can still be hot) are you still intending to carry 20lbs + your pack + water + food?

You might want to publish your list so we can advise but that seems like a lot to carry.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Fly from Seattle Sept. 3, 2018 (1:45pm) - arrive Gatwick Sept. 4 (7:00 AM) & fly to Biarritz, (1:00PM to 4:00PM then train from Bayonne (6:30 PM) to St. Jean (hopefully by 7:30ish PM). Start moving these 68 year old bones on Sept. 5, but planning on easy first day only to Orisson.. Master plan is to meet daughter and son-in-law in Sarria on October 6, and the 3 of us will finish together starting on the7th. With any luck I can spend 2 nights in Pamplona, 2 nights in Burgos, 2 nights in Sarria, arrive Santiago Oct. 11, fly to Madrid late afternoon Oct. 12, 2 nights in Madrid, fly back to US on Oct.14. Should be a great 6 week pilgrimage.
I've been breaking in my Merrill trail runners and 41 liter Osprey backpack, with 20 lbs cargo on two mountain day hikes in the Cascades and multiple 8 to 12 km walks on local trails. Need to step it up a bit to 20-25 km walks for several days in a row. That's what August is for. So far NO BLISTERS - thanks to Forum advice about Vaseline, thin liner socks and merino wool socks. Decided to use 8 oz. bag liner instead of 3 lb sleeping bag. See you on the trail amigos - Buen Camino. Mike[/QUO

Buen Camino, sounds like you have it all sorted.

There will always be some one older! At least so far. I stopped the first night, too, at Orisson and in the dinner introductions presented myself as obviously the oldest pilgrim at the table. 74. But no! Up popped a guy and said that he was 80 something and on his 14th camino! Here is wishing you the best. My only tip would be that twenty pounds is a lot to carry day after day. But you will find that out and chuck stuff that isn’t really necessary as you go. Wouldn’t recommend 2 days in Sarria, think about taking the detour to Samos and doing the rest day there. It was one of the most memorable stops on my Camino last October. Buen Camino!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You will have no problem, did twice in 11 months at age 66 & 67 from SJJP to Santiago , taking this year off for body repairs then the Camino Via de la Plata in Sept. 2019.

Buen Camino !

My husband and I also detoured to Samoa. Worth it to see the monastery.
There will always be some one older! At least so far. I stopped the first night, too, at Orisson and in the dinner introductions presented myself as obviously the oldest pilgrim at the table. 74. But no! Up popped a guy and said that he was 80 something and on his 14th camino! Here is wishing you the best. My only tip would be that twenty pounds is a lot to carry day after day. But you will find that out and chuck stuff that isn’t really necessary as you go. Wouldn’t recommend 2 days in Sarria, think about taking the detour to Samos and doing the rest day there. It was one of the most memorable stops on my Camino last October. Buen Camino!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've been breaking in my Merrill trail runners and 41 liter Osprey backpack, with 20 lbs cargo on two mountain day hikes in the Cascades and multiple 8 to 12 km walks on local trails. Need to step it up a bit to 20-25 km walks for several days in a row. That's what August is for. So far NO BLISTERS - thanks to Forum advice about Vaseline, thin liner socks and merino wool socks. Decided to use 8 oz. bag liner instead of 3 lb sleeping bag. See you on the trail amigos - Buen Camino. Mike
My timeline is a similar one Mike so will maybe meet you along the way...I’m heading over from Ottawa

I'm on the younger side of the old pharts club but want to build in a few rest days along the way. Is it possible to stay more than one night at an alberque? Also, do you get your credentials stamped when you arrive, or when you leave a town? Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm on the younger side of the old pharts club but want to build in a few rest days along the way. Is it possible to stay more than one night at an alberque? Also, do you get your credentials stamped when you arrive, or when you leave a town? Thanks

Generally, if the policy allows it will be more likely at a municipal or private albergue. However, those that allow multiple night stay will require you to completely vacate the premises at their pilgrim discharge time. Then you will need to wait until their regular opening time in the afternoon before being allowed back in.

For me, I would budget for a case rural or similar for planned rest days. :)

@LynnW , My one experience of staying two nights was exactly as Davebug says, I had to leave in the morning and stay out til opening time that afternoon.

As for credential stamps, albergues will stamp when you arrive. In the morning, pilgrims leave at various times and you often don't even see the hospitalero. If you stay at an inn, casa rural, hotel, etc., they are more likely to stamp when you check out in the morning. But that can vary.

But all this will become obvious your first day or so on the Camino. In fact, after a day, you will probably consider yourself an old pro, and be helping new people learn the ropes. :) Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We got you beat at 71. We start our second camino on Sept 28 in SJPD

Buen Camino

I start before you at the end of August which means I will likely be the one you race past!!!

Enjoy every minute of it!!!!

Thanks to all of you for your good wishes. This forum is really pretty cool, and has given me a ton of info and inspiration. I still don't know what made me want to do this, but I'm really excited to get started in less than a month!
Glenshiro- hopefully no taxi to Bayonne, we'll see. At one point I thought about just walking from Biarritz, but am getting smarter in my old age.
Stivandrer- Nice link to the stats. 10% over 60 yrs young.
Jeff Crawley - At last weigh in, I was at 17.5 lbs including 4 lb Kestrel 38 backpack, but NOT including water. I have a 2.5 liter bladder, (2.5 liters capacity = 5 lbs of water) thinking about switching to water bottle for most of camino with lots of water refill places, and only fill bladder on long desolate dry & hot sections. Still wrestling with final packing list. debating wearing new (yesterday) Merrell Moabs- size 14 - and not taking my size 13 3 months old Merrells- now well broken in but a little bit of toe jamming on down hills. Just got remeasured- now a size 13 versus previous 12. (I guess it's true about feet, nose, and ears getting bigger with age - while other parts shrink- you know, like brain, bladder). Anyway, besides size 14 Merrells, I'm thinking I should take my size 14 Keen hiking sandals also (hang from back of pack). But the bigger issue is should I bring my 4 lb CPAP breathing machine (bad sleep apnea) or settle for just bringing the 2 ounce snorban. Jury still out. With bag liner & no sleeping bag, the machine & liner fit nicely in sleeping bag 'compartment'.
I'm going to take you up on your suggestion to publish my packing list soon, so I can benefit from everyone's past experience.
Josephmcclain - Samos -might stay there my night before my daughter arrives in Sarria, rather than spending 2 nights in Sarria. Monastery in Samos sounds interesting.
Bala - When in fall of 2018 are you doing Sarria to Santiago? Maybe we'll see you. Don't worry about the age thing- as all my younger friends tell me - they will ALWAYS be younger than me.
Letsgocamino - Spell check does in fact suck! But I am going on a south pacific cruise next spring, with a stop in Samos, I think.
sharpetravel - EH- we can talk all about curling if we meet up, or at least stack brooms and have a glass of vino tinto. This pilgrimage is cutting into my curling season this fall, but hopefully I come back a little lighter on my slider.
spagirl - somehow I don't think you have anything to worry about. The odds of my racing past anyone are pretty slim. However, I do buy wine for those who wait up for me :)
Thanks again to all respondents. See you sunny Espana.
Mike

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.