• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Time pack advice.

blueandwhite

Hi All,

I'm walking my first camino fairly soon and I was wondering if this was too light a pack. Also, any other first time advice would be welcome.

Rucksack, not too big. 40L maybe?
Two pairs of trousers/shorts.
Two light weight t-shirts.
One water proof jacket.
One light weight sleeping bag.
One microfiber towel.
One flashlight.
One pair of walking shoes.
One pair of flip-flops.
One novel.
One camera and charger.

Is this too little, too much, or alright.
I'm not sure :S

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
blueandwhite said:
Hi All,

I'm walking my first camino fairly soon and I was wondering if this was too light a pack. Also, any other first time advice would be welcome.

Rucksack, not too big. 40L maybe?
Two pairs of trousers/shorts.
Two light weight t-shirts.
One water proof jacket.
One light weight sleeping bag.
One microfiber towel.
One flashlight.
One pair of walking shoes.
One pair of flip-flops.
One novel.
One camera and charger.

Is this too little, too much, or alright.
I'm not sure :S

Hello Blue and White,

Welcome to the CSJ Forum! I am certain that you will find much helpful information here as you plan your Camino. Forum members are always willing to share their advice and experiences with new pilgrims.

Be sure to carry and drink enough water. Perhaps you might carry two separate liter bottles to begin and refill them at albergue taps along the way.

Have you hiked before? Be sure to test walk with your pack before you leave.

Once on the Camino start by walking slowly and very easy for the first week. Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; do not attempt 40 km the first day! Easy does it. Be a snail; slow but, determined. Consider the topography and the weather plus your health and pack weight as well as personal strength and ability to endure.

Below is listed my kit for walking in autumn and winter. For convenience it is divided into what I wear and what I carry. Perhaps this will be of use to you for comparison.

For all my caminos in autumn or winter
I wear

thin waterproof jacket
runner's tights
short sleeve technical undershirt
long sleeve technical over-shirt
hiking boots with inner soles
underwear
hiking sox
money-belt with passport and credit card
walking stick

I carry
30 liter backpack with waterproof cover
sleeping bag and liner
bug-proof sheet
poncho
muffler, woolly hat, gloves
polar jacket/fleece
second pair runner's tights
second short sleeve technical tee shirt
second long sleeve technical tee shirt
long sleeve thermal undershirt
2 sets underwear
second pair hiking socks
pair night socks
sandals for relaxing
gaiters for snow
basic toiletries and medicines, small sizes
towel, small and thin (a seersucker dish towel!)
diary, pen
headlight,
1 liter water bottle,
food bag with -
..tea bags,
..some instant soup packs
..firm cheese
..chocolate
..waterproof matches
..plastic utensils and cup
water heating coil
Nokia N82 cellphone and charger,
...has good 5mp camera
...doubles as a computer for writing blog

total carried weight 6.5 kilos!!

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Margaret

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi blueandwhite

It sounds like you're thinking along the right lines.

I think you will need something for warmth such as a fleece for evenings and starting walking in the morning when it may still be chilly. It should fit under your waterproof jacket in case you need both.

A 40l pack sounds pretty ideal. Mine is 35+8l and is fine, even though my sleeping bag is bigger than I'd like. It usually weighs in around 8-9kgs without water.

Don't underestimate the value of quick drying clothes, especially if you're only planning to take a couple of t-shirts etc. You'll be rinsing out your clothes every day, and although you can hang damp clothes off your pack the next day it's nice to start with everything in order each day if possible. I take more t-shirts etc but only because I'm a bit lazy about washing!

For my recent Camino (March/April) I had;
Sleeping bag
4 t-shirts
4x underwear and socks
Trousers and shorts
Fleece and rain jacket
Toiletries and basic medicines
Boots
Hat
Water bag
Camera, phone, guide book, dictionary, knife, documents etc in various pockets.

Obviously I was wearing some of this at any given time. I should have had sandals, but was only planning to go for a short time so didn't bother. I ended up staying longer than expected and regretted not taking them! I'd take sandals that are robust enough to walk short distances outdoors (rather than just to the shower etc) and can be worn with socks in case it's cool. :shock:

Enjoy your planning and Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sounds like you're on the right track. I only walk between mid May and late September so find a 30L pack is adequate. Two t-shirts is enough - walk in one, shower and wash it, put on clean one to sleep and then walk in the next day.

I would leave the novel at home. Basically, if you don't absolutely need something, don't take it. A little bit of extra weight here and there adds up.

Things I would add to your list:
waterproof pack cover - or a poncho as an alternative to jacket & pack cover
lightweight fleece - even in summer the mornings/evenings can be cool
hat with brim all round - the sun will be on the back of your neck all day
safety pins - to hang laundry on line and then on backpack of they're not dry
sunscreen
first aid kit - needle & cotton (for blisters), Betadine, pack of sterile pads, Elastoplast
knife - small Swiss Army type incl. scissors as part of first aid kit
small notepad & pen - for keeping a journal (if desired)

Most read last week in this forum

I've just read this article from La Voz de Galicia. A Camino guide and frequent pilgrim with over 30 years of Camino experience calling for some greater regulation of numbers - at least on the...
One death attributed to a heart attack last week. Two pelegrinos gored, one seriously. One broken leg and many ending in Pamplona due to knee and leg and ankle injuries. Is it possible to confirm...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Hello, two weeks ago, I finished the Camino Francés, and while all the recent memories have not properly settled yet, I think enough time has passed to write a bit about my experience of the...
Is there a list of albergues that also have private rooms on the Camino Frances? Gracias.
Can anyone give me (newbie!) some guidance on planning my stages after Roncesvalles? I currently have lodging booked Zubiri, Pamplona and then Puente la Reine, and on from there. I would prefer...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back