• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time pilgrim and going solo...

SeattleJen

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from SJPDP, April 5 - May 15, 2018
... but I'm really looking forward to meeting whoever new I am going to meet. Flying into Gatwick from Seattle April 3, and plan to leave SJPDP around April 5. The unanswered question right now is how to get from Gatwick to the start quickly, cheaply, and in a way that my body can sleep off the jet lag of coming from Pacific Standard Time (it usually takes me a day and a half to recover from jet lag because I cannot sleep on planes). See you on the trail!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
... but I'm really looking forward to meeting whoever new I am going to meet. Flying into Gatwick from Seattle April 3, and plan to leave SJPDP around April 5. The unanswered question right now is how to get from Gatwick to the start quickly, cheaply, and in a way that my body can sleep off the jet lag of coming from Pacific Standard Time (it usually takes me a day and a half to recover from jet lag because I cannot sleep on planes). See you on the trail!

One way you might want consider: fly from Gatwick to Pamplona, then bus to SJPdP.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ryanair to Biarritz? It may be seasonal schedule.
Gatwick to Biarritz starts in May so consider other 'London' airports, connecting by bus or rail, e.g. 5 April
13:55 – 16:55 Ryanair 2 h 0 m flt from STN–BIQ Non-stop One way is £51 at the moment and
price includes taxes + fees for 1 adult but Additional bag fees and other fees may apply. Personnaly, I fly with hand luggage only so no extra charges... Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks for your help, everyone. I came up with a solution late last night that also works to cure the "awake for 24 hours jet lag" problem. Instead of immediately jumping to the continent like I originally wanted (but the flight schedules from Gatwick were not cooperating), I found a really cheap price on a hotel that is in the airport. So on April 3 I will immediately go from customs to a hotel called "Bloc," catch up on sleep there, then catch an 8:15 am EasyJet to Bordeaux on April 4 -- hopefully bright eyed and bushy tailed. Train from Bordeaux to SJPDP, sleep one more full night, then I'm leaving on my target date of April 5 still. That works, right?

What was really giving me angst is the fact that I KNOW I will not sleep on this 9 hour overnight flight from Seattle. We were in Paris last fall and once again I could not sleep a wink on the flight. My husband secured tickets to a Paris St Germain playoff game our first night, which should have been a thrilling game, but I was a walking zombie having not slept in 36 hours. I was really panicking last night thinking about having to stay awake after that long flight with my pack waiting for a 9 pm flight to France. I could not start my camino in zombie mode! Ugh!

Maybe eventually some day my brain will decide it's ok to sleep on planes. 25 years of intercontinental travel and my brain still mistreats me so.

Thanks again!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for your help, everyone. I came up with a solution late last night that also works to cure the "awake for 24 hours jet lag" problem. Instead of immediately jumping to the continent like I originally wanted (but the flight schedules from Gatwick were not cooperating), I found a really cheap price on a hotel that is in the airport. So on April 3 I will immediately go from customs to a hotel called "Bloc," catch up on sleep there, then catch an 8:15 am EasyJet to Bordeaux on April 4 -- hopefully bright eyed and bushy tailed. Train from Bordeaux to SJPDP, sleep one more full night, then I'm leaving on my target date of April 5 still. That works, right?

What was really giving me angst is the fact that I KNOW I will not sleep on this 9 hour overnight flight from Seattle. We were in Paris last fall and once again I could not sleep a wink on the flight. My husband secured tickets to a Paris St Germain playoff game our first night, which should have been a thrilling game, but I was a walking zombie having not slept in 36 hours. I was really panicking last night thinking about having to stay awake after that long flight with my pack waiting for a 9 pm flight to France. I could not start my camino in zombie mode! Ugh!

Maybe eventually some day my brain will decide it's ok to sleep on planes. 25 years of intercontinental travel and my brain still mistreats me so.

Thanks again!
Jolly good. Make sure that you bring earplugs as sleeping in dorms is also very tough, IMHO!

Jolly good. Make sure that you bring earplugs as sleeping in dorms is also very tough, IMHO!

Good suggestion! Thank you! I'm not necessarily a light sleeper but I will bring some just in case.

Ryanair flies out of Stanstead. Not sure if they are seasonal or not but check out Ryanair to see. If so, it may be a cheap way of getting to Biarritz. From there, it is an easy 1 hour taxi ride to SJPdP.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As far as I know you can fly from London Stanstead to Biaritz with Ryanair. There is a bus transfer between airports. I am flying 5th April Dublin to Biarritz so maybe meet you on the trail

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@SeattleJen ....hopefully you have had most of your questions answered for your adventure.
If you still have some things you want to talk about...PM me here on the forum and maybe we can get together here in Seattle if you want.

You might want to consider booking at Orisson to make the trek over the Pyrenees a bit easier whole you are still jetlagged.
http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/
Wow, that is beautiful! I was planning to walk via Valcarlos for the first stage because I'm not able to work out as much as I want in preparation for the trip (thanks, crazy job), and I want to make sure I set myself up for success in the beginning. However, you make a strong case for Orisson by simply sharing a link. Thanks!

@SeattleJen ....hopefully you have had most of your questions answered for your adventure.
If you still have some things you want to talk about...PM me here on the forum and maybe we can get together here in Seattle if you want.

Thank you everyone! I finally figured out a solution yesterday: I'm going to sleep off the jet lag at a hotel inside Gatwick, then take an early morning flight to Bordeaux the next day. I'm disappointed to have to spend an extra day in London before hopping over to the continent, but this is the best way to make sure I'm bright eyed and bushy tailed for starting April 5. I appreciate everyone's help here!

Grayland, I may take you up on your offer in March after my major work project is completed. I appreciate the local connection!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'd be happy to meet you as well - PM, if you wish. :)
Thank you! I will. It will be mid-March (2-3 weeks before I leave) because a work project is trying to kill me first. I suppose if I survive this work event, the Camino will be a piece of cake. ;-)

Ahhh - but work and the Camino are SOOOO different! But you WILL survive the work, and perhaps the Camino will be the reward! :) Will look forward to hearing from you in mid-March, and meeting you! Best of luck with the job!
~Terry

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Looks like we will start our camino on the same date, we might just run/walk into each other!

I’m a first timer as well flying Calgary to Gatwick April 3/4 taking the train on April 4 to Paris overnight there and train into SJPP on the 5 starting the 6th, I haves booked the Bloc at Gatwick on the return leg. Hope to do the Napoleon route but apparently it is closed until April 1,

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.