Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time Pilgrimage

Mike Consalvi

Sep 13, 2016
Carpinteria , Ca
Time of past OR future Camino
leaving on April 12, 2017, starting in St Jean. Will be trekking thru Portugal then on to Morocco!!
So excited , April can not get here fast enough...
Hello , my name is Michael Consalvi , age 63 and living in the Santa Barbara , California area.
I will be leaving for my first Camino pilgrimage alone on Aptil 14, 2017.
My am intending on leaving from St Jean France on April 17, 2017 finishing at Finisterre Spain. I am interested in any advice or guidance or suggestions for a 63 first time pilgrim.
Thank you in advance for all your assistance

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Smallest_Sparrow

Life is rarely what you expect or believe it to be
Jan 16, 2012
USA
2012: most of some, all of a few, a bit of others
Hi Mike, and welcome! I'm sure people will give you loads of advice, but you may also want to check out the Santa Barbara branch of the American Pilgrims on the Camino...they may have meetings, lectures, practice walks, etc...I've thought about joining it myself just out of wanting to reminisce with others who've walked (although it is a bit of a drive for me). The number one thing, above all others in my opinion, is the right shoes. this means either a visit to a podiatrist, or at least a good running shoe store (not some chain store but one that caters to people who race) to be sure you know what size (bigger than you think) shoe you need (feet swell when you are walking all day), what type of support/stability you need (most people need something, usually for overpronation), and then break them in well. There are so many other things, and so many different opinions on them, but the one thing that must be right for you to enjoy your trip is the right foot wear.
Buen Camino!
ps when I was first planning my camino I was invited to a group that met on the east coast and it really helped me meeting 'old hands' in person and hearing about their trips, etc.

edit: http://www.americanpilgrims.org/
and
http://www.americanpilgrims.org/santa-barbara-california-chapter

Last edited:
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

Smallest_Sparrow

Life is rarely what you expect or believe it to be
Jan 16, 2012
USA
2012: most of some, all of a few, a bit of others

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Oct 15, 2012
Santiago de Compostela
egeria.house
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Hi and welcome to the forum @Mike Consalvi
After you have read through the threads mentioned above, feel free to post any remaining questions you might still have. Also, after you have finished your packing list, post it here and a 'few of us' will be more than happy to give you feedback (opinionated and not always agreeing with each other ;-) Buen Camino, SY

RelajoRock

Oct 9, 2016
California Central Coast
May 2017
Hello Michael, I'm also in the Santa Barbara area and I'm planing of doing my first Camino pilgrimage in April/May. I'm still deciding on flying into Paris or Madrid, then find my way to SJPdP by train. Have you made travel arrangements, yet? If you can you share your thoughts? Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

On the Camino Del Norte. Surprised by the amount of pilgrims. Many mature pilgrims, like myself with a few Caminos under their belt, mostly appear to be staying in hotels. If staying in hotels be...
Hi I just joined and will be doing a solo walk from SJPP to Finisterre in May Jun 2025... long time to go yet but VV excited ... will be finalising dates and flights from Canberra as soon as...
For those of you who are using the ATM colour chart. One bank is suggested at less than 2 Euro when in fact was 4.50 Euro per withdrawal
Hello Pilgrims, I am Brendan an Australian Scot. I am new to the forum, but not new to the Camino. On Tuesday May 28 I will start on my seventh Camino the Norte from San Sebastián. I will try and...
I am looking for people who want to walk the camino del norte in may 2025 - starting from Irun, Bilbao or another place. Nice to hear from you.
Oh oh oh, After more then seven and a half weeks of rain in Belgium and France, last week weather is better, I walked into Irun today! 🙏 Feels like the last nine weeks my life was in a fridge but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.