• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time Pilgrimage

Mike Consalvi

Time of past OR future Camino
leaving on April 12, 2017, starting in St Jean. Will be trekking thru Portugal then on to Morocco!!
So excited , April can not get here fast enough...
Hello , my name is Michael Consalvi , age 63 and living in the Santa Barbara , California area.
I will be leaving for my first Camino pilgrimage alone on Aptil 14, 2017.
My am intending on leaving from St Jean France on April 17, 2017 finishing at Finisterre Spain. I am interested in any advice or guidance or suggestions for a 63 first time pilgrim.
Thank you in advance for all your assistance

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Mike, and welcome! I'm sure people will give you loads of advice, but you may also want to check out the Santa Barbara branch of the American Pilgrims on the Camino...they may have meetings, lectures, practice walks, etc...I've thought about joining it myself just out of wanting to reminisce with others who've walked (although it is a bit of a drive for me). The number one thing, above all others in my opinion, is the right shoes. this means either a visit to a podiatrist, or at least a good running shoe store (not some chain store but one that caters to people who race) to be sure you know what size (bigger than you think) shoe you need (feet swell when you are walking all day), what type of support/stability you need (most people need something, usually for overpronation), and then break them in well. There are so many other things, and so many different opinions on them, but the one thing that must be right for you to enjoy your trip is the right foot wear.
Buen Camino!
ps when I was first planning my camino I was invited to a group that met on the east coast and it really helped me meeting 'old hands' in person and hearing about their trips, etc.

edit: http://www.americanpilgrims.org/
and
http://www.americanpilgrims.org/santa-barbara-california-chapter

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

Read through the current "Over 65" thread. There's a lot there, including links to a couple of previous, similar threads. All the best on your first Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi and welcome to the forum @Mike Consalvi
After you have read through the threads mentioned above, feel free to post any remaining questions you might still have. Also, after you have finished your packing list, post it here and a 'few of us' will be more than happy to give you feedback (opinionated and not always agreeing with each other ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Hello Michael, I'm also in the Santa Barbara area and I'm planing of doing my first Camino pilgrimage in April/May. I'm still deciding on flying into Paris or Madrid, then find my way to SJPdP by train. Have you made travel arrangements, yet? If you can you share your thoughts? Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.