• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time pilgrims?. Planning and preparations? Gear and training?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Donnelly

Camino 2015, ohh the planning!!
Time of past OR future Camino
2015 will be my first
Hello fellow Pilgrims,

I think this thread should deal with the preparations and planning and everything else a first-time pilgrim must do to be ready for the trek.

As a companion topic please state where you are from and why you are undertaking the pilgrimage/trek.

Suggestion- Post pics of gear you think a pilgrim should consider buying. Think value for money and effectiveness.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi and welcome! I am not sure what you plan to achieve with this thread. Every pilgrim and pilgrimage (route/time of the year) is different. Why don't you post the questions you have and you will receive a lot of help from forum members. As I see that you have already registered here in 2012 I assume you have read extensively here on the forum already and used the search function also extensively. Buen Camino! SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Alan and Greetings from Jerusalem!
Your questions are very understandable but you need to focus and fine tune. At the top of every page is a search box, type in boots, backpacks, albergues, costs, training, certified couch potato, everything and anything you can ask will probably pop up-then come talk to us specifically. You have dipped a toe into an ocean of knowledge and experience waiting for you to come in and get good and wet. Go for it!

Y'all look young. Don't think you will need much training to do the Camino Frances. If my 52 and 53 year old butt was able to do two Caminos at those ages with no training, you will have no problems.
As far as gear goes, be a minimalist. Travel light and don't pack a bunch of stuff you think you "may need".

Hello Alan,
Welcome.

You've got good advice from 4 knowledgable pilgrims there already. The search forums tool is great! What's even better is the way people here will help you if you can't find what you are specifically looking for.

Happy searching and planning.
Buen Camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I think all of these topics have and are being dealt with elsewhere. Research and enjoy!
Hi and welcome! I am not sure what you plan to achieve with this thread. Every pilgrim and pilgrimage (route/time of the year) is different. Why don't you post the questions you have and you will receive a lot of help from forum members. As I see that you have already registered here in 2012 I assume you have read extensively here on the forum already and used the search function also extensively. Buen Camino! SY
Okay, for example lets say someone is in the process of buying gear for their 30day camino. They are first time pilgrims. They may see 'first time pilgrims' enter the thread and find helpful information pertaining to 2015, deals on flights, gear, clothing ect.

Don't take it the wrong way, but this forum is here since a long time as it is and it is working well as it is. If you have some ideas for improving it, by all means contact Ivar with them. SY

They may see 'first time pilgrims' enter the thread and find helpful information pertaining to 2015
This thread will disappear into the crowd within a couple of days unless there is a regular new entry! A title search is more effective for new users, so a catchy title like "Cheap airfare from Canada to Madrid" in the correct category is more likely to be useful. It is good that you are looking for ways to help new Members. Maybe it will work. Buen camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Okay, for example lets say someone is in the process of buying gear for their 30day camino. They are first time pilgrims. They may see 'first time pilgrims' enter the thread and find helpful information pertaining to 2015, deals on flights, gear, clothing ect.

I can see why you thought of starting such a thread, and appreciate the idea of assisting new members, but speaking as a first-time pilgrim (April this year) I wouldn't look to that kind of thread for the best tips on gear, flight deals etc. To me, that's the value of the Forum as a whole - that's what it's here for! Over the past 2+ years of preparation I have found so much invaluable information and advice from experienced pilgrims such as those who have already responded on this thread - information and advice which appears in relevant places on the forum either in response to (much more specific) questions, or in the course of some fascinating discussions. It's clear to me that there are few definitive answers to Camino-related questions because everything is constantly changing - environments, seasons, weather, what's on the market, etc, and the beauty of this forum is that it allows for new threads to be started when a new question arises, and for older information to be updated that way. Very long threads can become confusing, especially when some of the posts become quite old and may no longer be relevant or the information correct - and a thread such as the one you propose could very quickly become unwieldy. Using the search function and (my personal favourite) keeping up with new info and questions via the "Recent Posts" page gives access to the most relevant and up-to-date info for new pilgrims without being overwhelming, and allows us newbies to benefit from the wealth of experience which is shared so generously by Forum veterans.

This thread will disappear into the crowd within a couple of days unless there is a regular new entry! A title search is more effective for new users, so a catchy title like "Cheap airfare from Canada to Madrid" in the correct category is more likely to be useful. It is good that you are looking for ways to help new Members. Maybe it will work. Buen camino.
First thread attempt, prob aimed too high ha. Good point about the title

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Alan,
pilgrims have planned, prepared and walked the camino for more than a thousand years as a cause, not as mere consumers seeking instant gratification out of a commercial travel catalogue.
True pilgrim willingly accept all hardship, deprivations, challenges and inconveniences of the camino; any help extended by sympathetic volunteers is received with humility and appreciation, this is the spirit of the Camino.
This forum continues the old tradition formerly offered by churches and congregations, of providing advise-seeking pilgrims a platform in a most modern and efficient way across the entire globe, bringing together a huge international community and facilitating the instant exchange of experiences, ideas, advise and tips.
While Ivar provides the greatly appreciated tools, this forum entirely lives by the contributions of its members, who tirelessly answer all questions of those seeking advise. Not because we owe this to you, but because we love to share. There is hardly any subject concerning the Camino that has not been dealt with here time and again.
So, Alan, ask the first questions to yourself: What do I actually seek on my camino, what are my motives? When it comes to practical questions, (we would all appreciate that you first browse and search), feel entirely free to ask anything, you'll get plenty of answers.
And as SYates suggested, if you have ideas of how to improve this already fantastic tool, contact Ivar.

Buen Camino.

Hello fellow Pilgrims,

I think this thread should deal with the preparations and planning and everything else a first-time pilgrim must do to be ready for the trek.

As a companion topic please state where you are from and why you are undertaking the pilgrimage/trek.

Suggestion- Post pics of gear you think a pilgrim should consider buying. Think value for money and effectiveness.[/QUOTE
Hi Alan..
I've been walking for years and have age old and tested kit, never done the camino before and there is an incredible wealth of info on the forum and part of the pleasure is the research. Each and everyone's kit and equipment preferences will be different, as will there travel arrangements, dependant on where they are travelling from and how long they spend on the camino.
Good luck.

Hi Alan,
pilgrims have planned, prepared and walked the camino for more than a thousand years as a cause, not as mere consumers seeking instant gratification out of a commercial travel catalogue.
True pilgrim willingly accept all hardship, deprivations, challenges and inconveniences of the camino; any help extended by sympathetic volunteers is received with humility and appreciation, this is the spirit of the Camino.
This forum continues the old tradition formerly offered by churches and congregations, of providing advise-seeking pilgrims a platform in a most modern and efficient way across the entire globe, bringing together a huge international community and facilitating the instant exchange of experiences, ideas, advise and tips.
While Ivar provides the greatly appreciated tools, this forum entirely lives by the contributions of its members, who tirelessly answer all questions of those seeking advise. Not because we owe this to you, but because we love to share. There is hardly any subject concerning the Camino that has not been dealt with here time and again.
So, Alan, ask the first questions to yourself: What do I actually seek on my camino, what are my motives? When it comes to practical questions, (we would all appreciate that you first browse and search), feel entirely free to ask anything, you'll get plenty of answers.
And as SYates suggested, if you have ideas of how to improve this already fantastic tool, contact Ivar.

Buen Camino.

Have I stated that I wanted to change, improve or otherwise alter anything to do with this fantastic forum?

The idea of the thread was to help first timers find out about good gear ect, maybe add little info about themselves. Quite harmless, quite innocent, devoid of malice.

If you read my previous post or the posts by others you would have been aware I already accepted the faults of this thread.

Your post comes across as passive aggressive with a touch of grandstanding, Pano. If I'm wrong about that I'll walk across Spain :)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Have I stated that I wanted to change, improve or otherwise alter anything to do with this fantastic forum? The idea of the thread was to help first timers find out about good gear ect, maybe add little info about themselves. Quite harmless, quite innocent, devoid of malice. If you read my previous post or the posts by others you would have been aware I already accepted the faults of this thread. Your post comes across as passive aggressive with a touch of grandstanding, Pano. If I'm wrong about that I'll walk across Spain :)

When one tries to subtly make a point, there indeed is a risk of coming across as 'grandstanding'. Probably better to just ignore a thread that makes no sense at all.

There have been more than one occasion when I have tried to start a thread with an intention that I failed to communicate effectively. There have been many where my phraseology has unintentionally raised hackles. For all of these I have been subsequently sorry. I probably got the wrong end of the stick ( not for the first time (a consequence of age or plain stupidity maybe?) when I read the OP. So I am sorry that I didn't appreciate Alan's intentions. Honourable as they are I think that some wise words have been spoken, particularly by our venerable Falcon. Maybe we should just heed his advice, let this thread drift into obscurity by no further posting and then he can find another way to inspire contributions. No offence intended to anyone by this post. :)

I think all of these topics have and are being dealt with elsewhere. Research and enjoy!
hello Alan...........me again..well the tickets bought Apr 14th arrive in st Jean Apr 15th start.......the boots and backpack organised and most of the gear....about 12 lbs...I am happy enough with that weight.......I hope your wounds have mended and all is good in your world.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When one tries to subtly make a point, there indeed is a risk of coming across as 'grandstanding'. Probably better to just ignore a thread that makes no sense at all.
Nothing subtle about a 232 word post using the terms 'true pilgrim' and 'consumers seeking instant gratification out of a commercial travel catalogue.'

the thread makes perfect sense, it is the generality of the thread's topic that you take umbrage with.

Pano, What is a true pilgrim?

Hi Alan.
I think to state it very simply, there are lots of ongoing threads currently discussing the questions you have.
Rather than start a new thread with several topics included, some people were suggesting that you do a search and join in an already ongoing discussion. For example, if you search the equipment section you will find all manner of gear discussions. The introduction section is a good place to introduce yourself or join the "Class of 2015" or "2016".

I'm sure nothing personal was intended. There are lots of wonderful, helpful people on this forum.
And we are all "true pilgrims".

Cheers.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back