• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Time to Critique my list and weights!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I could tell you that you are set for quite an expedition and that you probably won't need a trowel or spare shoe laces, but if you are happy with what you have, then go for it! You clearly like to plan. Maybe my best advice now would be to surrender.

I wouldn't worry about BMI and height. If it sits nicely on your shoulders and isn't uncomfortable, you'll be fine. Anyway that's about 2.5x less than my pack. I wish i could get away with such a small amount of stuff. I think you will be fine. :D

Enjoy your camino, @MARSKA

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
One thing I noticed which you might want to consider adding is a spare set of pole tips. They always go at an inopportune moment and then you have to endure that clicking noise until you can find a decathlon. Cost in weight for two spare rubber tips, no idea, but not much.

I know you won't.
I can't even go there.
You've done more work compiling this list than I can imagine. And since I've never made a packing list or weighed anything in my life, all I can think of to say is, 'Why?'

@MARSKA , keep it simple and just walk.
You'll be fine. Really. Thousands and thousands of us have lived to tell the tale.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What a detailed list! There are definitely items I would question like a trowel, extra shoelaces. I might ask about 2 buffs if you also have a scarf, visor and beanie. The sit pad - I normally take a small square of bubble wrap though on the CF I rarely used it as most longer breaks were at bars. The clothesline I might skip or replace with a bit of elastic (mine stretches to over 3m and weighs less than 5g but don't remember using it much on CF or CP).
You seem to have lots of "bags" - to sort things, a day pack, waistbag plus another to go under your clothing ... I can see why someone might want all these items but it's somehow seems alot too.

A few items I would add - alcohol hand sanitizer. In my own kit I also carry some moisturiser and a lipbalm.

However, given your 6.3kg includes food and water I wouldn't get too worried!

Last edited:
Thanks for providing the list, makes it a lot easier to help.
From a first glance it looks pretty good, but i have a few ideas how you could shave a bit of weight:

- The matador daypack is not so light. If you plan on using it for hiking, maybe ok, but if you only think of using it around town, a 10L Decathlon foldable pack is just 40g.
- pack liner or stuff sacks? thats not quite clear to me. Both seem overkill, one is enough (i'd go stuff sack, makes organisation easier).
- Never needed a trowel and in a pinch one could use a stick. But then its only 6g.
- Waist pack or day pack? I think one is enough. And then a "secret keeper" on top?
- A sleeping bag and a liner is luxury, but i would likely take the same combo.
- do your liner socks work with your toe socks?
- do i count two buffs?
- (you only counted one shoe, a pair is likely 500g)
- my "medicine" kit was just 100g, but i had no personal meds with me. Maybe you can start with a little less of everything and buy as you go
- ditch the extra laces
- you have ditty bags, dry bags, ziplock bags... see how many you really need.
- you won't need a compass
- thee lightes swiss army knife with a corkscrew is 38g. If you take a heavier one, you can maybe ditch the scissors in your wash kit
- repair kit for what? i took a 1g sewing kit from a hotel

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My only comment would be: how can 2500ml water bottles filled only weigh 1000 grams?
I believe it's 2 x 500ml water bottles... that adds to a 1000 grams. Let's say 1050, as the bottles weigh something :p

I'd drop both buffs (you have a scarf), the trowel and the extra shoelaces (unless you normally destroy them by walking). Also drop the silk liner, you already have a sleeping bag. And as said above, use a stick intead of a 6g trowel.

The trail shoes are very light indeed!

Otherwise, list seems quite good. Very detailed, I nevel listed my stuff like that or weghed... Can you carry all that comfortably?

One thing I noticed which you might want to consider adding is a spare set of pole tips. They always go at an inopportune moment and then you have to endure that clicking noise until you can find a decathlon. Cost in weight for two spare rubber tips, no idea, but not much.
It will depend on your pole tips. I have just bought a new set for my Leki poles after 5 years, 1000km worth of Caminos and a lot more than that on non-Camino walks. My tips fit well and are metal lined so the poles don't wear through them. They are also soft enough to mute the terrible clicking that harder tips can still make. 🤷‍♀️

Great list! You won't need a compass, nor a trowel. I don't understand the day pack, shoulder bag, waist bag? Why?
Are you fit and healthy? If so, do you use a pair of poles when you walk to the shops? Or in a park? Or along a seashore? No? Then why a pair of poles? One pole or staff can be very handy for stability on steep ground .. but not needed at all for just walking along and a sun umbrella can be used as a pole in those circumstances.
Also, when are you going and which Camino? If it is hot times you may find a silk liner is all you ever use.

If so, do you use a pair of poles when you walk to the shops? Or in a park? Or along a seashore? No? Then why a pair of poles? One pole or staff can be very handy for stability on steep ground .. but not needed at all for just walking along and a sun umbrella can be used as a pole in those circumstances.
Personally, and that is me being young-ish 41 and in decent shape, i tend to disagree regarding poles. For much of the CF i really prefer to use my pair of them, be it to save energy on flat terrain or to help my knees on ways down the various mountains.
Yeah, they are not absolutely needed, the Camino is not a wilderness walk, but if one is used to using them i think they are a very valid option.

(but one should never use them without rubber tips on concrete or pavement. I understand the people that are annoyed by that clicking sound)

I wouldn't worry about BMI and height.
@MARSKA, if you have made the effort to understand the relationship between BMI, height and FSO weight targets, you are clearly well ahead of the many members who rely solely on the widely discredited 10% of body mass rule of thumb for bare pack weight. Well done! You seem to be well within the both the conventional 20% FSO and 10% bare pack weight guidance, so provided you don't add too much bread, wine, cheese and jamon to your pack along the way, you should be able to forget, or at least, not worry, once you are on the road.
Are you fit and healthy? If so, do you use a pair of poles when you walk to the shops? Or in a park? Or along a seashore? No? Then why a pair of poles?
I don't understand this logic. Partly because I do all of these things, but then I have been walking with trekking poles on my morning walk as well for the last couple of decades. Poles, used properly, are going to have many benefits in addition to providing a little extra stability on steep ground. For someone like me, it is the reduction of pressure on my hips, knees and ankles that was the primary motivation for using them. You get this benefit with every step when you are using poles - on the flat, uphills and downhills. They mightn't be essential, but if you have them, they will only help you if they are in your hands. I use mine pretty much every step of my pilgrimage walks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dont hold back!!!! : )
I know you won't.

;)
Hi Marska. Great list and thank you for sharing it.
Like that you are not carrying a power bank. My new mobile phone only needs to be charged every three days so I will also not carry a power bank. (I carry all my "tech" in a small pouch with a luminous key fob so I can find it at night. My earplugs are in there as well.)
Not sure about your sink plug. I have carried one in my wash kit but haven't used it - ever. Not going to take it with me next time.
I have a mini compass on my rucksack shoulder strap AND one on my wrist watch. As I don't carry maps or use my mobile phone en route the compass gives me reassurance that I'm heading in the right direction.

Great list! You won't need a compass, nor a trowel. I don't understand the day pack, shoulder bag, waist bag? Why?
Are you fit and healthy? If so, do you use a pair of poles when you walk to the shops? Or in a park? Or along a seashore? No? Then why a pair of poles? One pole or staff can be very handy for stability on steep ground .. but not needed at all for just walking along and a sun umbrella can be used as a pole in those circumstances.
Also, when are you going and which Camino? If it is hot times you may find a silk liner is all you ever use.
There are many reasons someone might choose to use poles on the Camino. Search this forum!! This is personal rather than 'you must'. I use poles and always two. David, you use a trailer, many people don't. "Viva la difference" :cool:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So impressed!! I would add chapstick and lotion for sure. Yes, you can buy whatever you need there, but when you most need something will be late at night or in the mid-afternoon when everything is closed lol. Also I would take some Compeed. I took some but not enough. (Blisters not so much on my feet but under bra strap!!) Those things are expensive in Spain. Your list looks very well prepared. You are going to have a great trip. Buen camino!

Looks good. Congrats.

You might consider adding a dozen or so large safety (diaper size) pins to attach clothes to the line while drying. Also, I would suggest one or two 3"x3" nonstick pads (bandage) that can be cut to size and shape as needed. I find the best/easiest tape to address blister dressings is KT tape or any of the fabric bi-directional stretch tapes (available on Amazon) because they are easy to shape to fit contours of the foot. Sometimes bandaids don't fit or are too bulky (like between toes). The stretch tape also works well with the lamb's wool you have on the list. The KT tape also works well if you need knee or ankle support or get shin splints. The KT website has videos of how to deal with injuries like these. KT tape comes in a 16 ft roll and in precut strips. (I haven't seen it in pharmacies in Spain. )

Buen Camino.

David, I agree a compass is not needed, but....

A trowel is a courtesy should nature call and products of digestion need to be buried/covered for the protection of those who follow you.

A small day pack is useful when shopping in towns (no need to buy a plastic bag) and in the event of an injury that might require use of baggage transport, you can ship the big pack, walk with the day pack.

Shoulder / waist bag -- where to you keep papers, passport, cash and cards?

Poles - others have commented on their value to which I can only add -- properly used, poles will help you improve walking speed. I have data to suggest use of poles will increase my stride length by 1/2"-1" per step. A gentle push forward with a pole on every step is all it takes. Of course, you need to use the poles correctly (and many people do not), so your mileage may vary.

It makes sense. Walking is about moving a mass in a (mostly) horizontal direction. Poles let you use upper body strength to assist the legs. Even if all the shoulders/ upper back muscles and triceps take on is 5% of the total effort, it helps.

In my case the math looks like this: 0.75" per step x 40,000 steps per day = 30,000 inches or 0.762 km per day. Over the course of the CF that's enough to take a day off the total walking time. (I know, who's in a hurry, right?)😀

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Are you fit and healthy? If so, do you use a pair of poles when you walk to the shops? Or in a park? Or along a seashore? No? Then why a pair of poles?
I don't wear a 6+kg backpack when doing those activities. When I go on hikes at home without a backpack I generally don't use poles, and I'm also not hiking for 6 - 8 hours a day either. My center of gravity is different when I'm wearing my Camino pack, and I find my poles very useful to keep good posture. I also like how they help to propel me uphill, reduce the stress on my knees when going downhill, keep my hands from swelling, and keep my arms toned. I do agree that they aren't worth the extra weight if they never come out of your pack.

Well, I prepared a lovely response to all of the responses to this thread on the forum...and then...zip zip...it's gone. Waaaa :-(

Please know that I have taken all suggestions seriously and thought about the kind advice each one of you has provided. I'll try to re-create my initial response later today - or tomorrow.

Two half-liter bottles
500 milliliters of water is approximately 500 grams. This is because the density of water is approximately 1 gram per milliliter.
I walk with two 750 ml bottles. Evian makes some with convenient flip open tops. On days when it's hot fill them both up. On other days leave with them partially full to save some weight. Water sources are frequent on the CF. You won't run dry.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It will depend on your pole tips. I have just bought a new set for my Leki poles after 5 years, 1000km worth of Caminos and a lot more than that on non-Camino walks. My tips fit well and are metal lined so the poles don't wear through them. They are also soft enough to mute the terrible clicking that harder tips can still make. 🤷‍♀️
Yeah my tips are the standard decathlon ones. I go through about 1 set for every 150-180 miles or so. Possibly they take a lot of hammer due to my weight, but also when i am seriously off piste like I will be next month I assume I will go through them at a fairlyquick rate. But if MARSKA has good pole tips then she probably won't need a spare set and if she is walking a mainstream route that doesn't involve mountains, probably doubly so. :)

As for the trowel, well up to you. I've never considered taking one. I usually take the tip off one of my poles and use that to dig a small hole then kick the dirt back in with my shoe afterwards. ;)

As for the compass, if you are walking any mainstream route, don't bother. You won't get lost on the Norte, Frances, VdlP or probably any of the other mainstream routes. It's camino, not trekking through the outback. So saying that I do have one, but it came with my poles on the strap. Most mobile phones will do similar. Only useful if you are creating a new path through the mountains or intending to do a cross country shortcut, like the one I considered between San Sebastian de Garabandal and Potes (which would have included 20 miles of walking through the mountains not on trails). Very useful in that sort of situation, when no path is available, when walking along a well signposted route, not so much. ;)

Water bottles, I admit to carrying a 2L in my pack and another 1L in the side pocket, but I also sink water like crazy due to being big, tall and carrying a big pack. Only you know what you drink while hiking. Only time it is useful to have spare is in parts of Galicia where the water is suspect or contaminated. Most other places the water is fine. So up to you.

I don't understand the day pack, shoulder bag, waist bag? Why?
When you arrive at your accommodation, something like this is useful for carrying passport, wallet, phone etc as you walk around town. Also useful for keeping these things safe, e.g. inside your sleeping bag which you will definitely need if it is not hot (which it won´t be every night in September and October). But you only need one of them.

QUESTIONS:
Need secret keeper for urban areas ? ?? Thoughts??
Pack liner or sleeping bag stuff sack? Thoughts for protecting sleeping bag in case of heavy rain?
Sink plug?? Yea or nay????

NOTES:

Matador daypack is a bit heavy but is VERY comfy and well made. If I need to have my backpack transported for a day here and there it will make a great trail bag. Useful flight bag and useful for shopping trips, etc.

I have MUCHO pockets so don’t need a waist pack.

Re-weigh items – smaller items seem too light; check weight of shoes

Agree that a 6 gram trowel probably isn’t a usable trowel.

Regarding poles- I have never used them but… I felt the tiniest, minute, almost not there twinge in my right knee while on a steep downhill slope last week. Havent felt it since. But likely poles are good anti-injury insurance. I’m not 40 anymore 😊

ADD:
Pole tips, spare
Chapstick
Diaper pins
Nonstick bandage pads to cut to size
Sewing kit
Hand sanitizer
KT tape
Luminous key fob to add to night pouch
Laundry soap

DELETE:
Repair kit
1 buff
Sit pad
Waistpack
Clothesline (will use xtra shoelaces instead)
Hard to let go of the compass…cuz I LOVE a compass…but….

MODIFY:
Swiss army knife
Pack liner/stuff sack(s)
# /type of ditty bags
Secret keeper, waist pouch
Trowel

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Matador daypack is a bit heavy but is VERY comfy and well made. If I need to have my backpack transported for a day here and there it will make a great trail bag. Useful flight bag and useful for shopping trips, etc
Instead of carrying a lightweight day pack, consider bringing a lightweight bag that you can offload heavier items into to ship ahead while you wear your well fitted backpack with a good suspension.

I brought this lightweight Osprey bag this year in case I needed to ship some heavier items. I didn't end up needing to use it, but the weight was very minimal.

Depends what you mean by ´urban areas´. Obviously, one needs to look after one´s personal property everywhere, but the camino mainly passes through small towns, the larger towns are carefully policed precisely because they are frequented by foreigners and Spain is generally at least as safe, if not a lot safer, than a lot of places in the USA. Just be streetwise.

Secret Keeper: I have a bit the feeling that particularly a) older and b) north American members of this board are very concerned when it comes to potential risk of theft while on the camino. I have never on my many travels in europe (well, i live here) felt the need for something like a secret keeper, money belt or whatnot. My wallet sits in my trousers, my phone either in its pocket of the backpack or in the trousers as well. And i have a debit card and some cash hidden somewhere for an emergency.
On the other hand, since i don't have to carry a passport, even if my wallet was to go missing it would not be the end of the world. I could still quite easily arrange for travel back home and such. (I don't get the thing about passports being at a risk of being stolen. I know of the concept of identity theft, but it does not seem to be a major issue at least where i live)

Stuff sacks / ditty bags: I use a pack that is quite waterproof by itself. Everything inside gets put into waterproof bags as a second line of security. My cloth go into a 8L drysack (S2S Ultra Sil), my sleeping bag into a 4L one (same brand, you might need a bigger one). My wash kit, electronics, medication/first aid go into smaller zip lock bags. Depending if you plan on using a rain cover or nilofume liner you could go along that lines.

I would not carry extra pole tips. You pass sporting goods store at least every 100k or so. If your tips start to run out, you should be able to get new ones on the trail.

I never used or missed a sink plug.

Look into Dr.Bronners soap. you can use it for yourself, your laundry, your dishes and lots more. I had 50ml which lasted my complete CF.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't even know what a secret keeper is. Apparently some kind of waist pouch. Their dimensions vary: some are quite flat, others have more room, and some are made from a soft material and can be worn next to your skin under your clothing.

To provide an alternative view as a mature European and mother of a younger European: We do wear them when travelling. Not always and it's not because we live in constant fear. Externally worn models are just convenient. I have several like this model made by Tatonka, a German outdoor brand catering mainly for the European market :cool:. I keep an extra credit card and 20-50 € in it. Mainly in case I somehow manage to lose or forget my purse/wallet somewhere - which I never keep in a pocket of my trousers, skirts or dresses anyway, especially since the latter two rarely have pockets. :cool:

Last edited:
I don't even know what a secret keeper is. Apparently some kind of waist pouch. Their dimensions vary: some are quite flat, others have more room, and some are made from a soft material and can be worn next to your skin under your clothing.

To provide an alternative view as a mature European and mother of a younger European: We do wear them when travelling. Not always and it's not because we live in constant fear. Externally worn models are just convenient. I have several like this model made by Tatonka, a German outdoor brand catering mainly for the European market :cool:. I keep an extra credit card and 20-50 € in it. Mainly in case I somehow manage to lose or forget my purse/wallet somewhere - which I never keep in a pocket of my trousers, skirts or dresses anyway, especially since the latter two rarely have pockets. :cool:
In everyday, real life, I have a super little folder which has my free travel pass (thanks to a now deceased politician) and a couple of other cards, with around €50 or less euro to provide for unforeseen situations. Is that a secret keeper?
If so, it is my new learning for today...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I know they add weight, but wet toilet wipes I find more useful than standard toilet roll and they are also flatpack. Wear a belt of some sort. Belts double as tourniquets in emergency situations. One medium sized dressing in your first aid kit. I carry one large and one medium. Was out walking once upon a time in the Lakes years back and came across someone who managed to fall and cut there leg rather close to the artery (but not hit it thankfully). The large dressing was rather useful for that and my belt was rather useful to slow the bleeding until the mountain rescue arrived. We plan for the worst and hope for the best, but sometimes the worst happens and it's better to be prepared than up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

I would also keep the compass. It doesn't need to be a full size one. Those smaller button ones are fine and don't weigh much. Also keep a sewing/repair kit for those minor repairs. Those kits weight nothing, like needle, polycotton, etc. It's like a gram or two, but it gives you the option to put a few stitches in your clothes if you get a rip. Those two things would go my essentials list. But the compass for me depends on how adventurous you are. If you are the sort of person who is walking along, sees a sign saying "spectacular waterfall 3km" and decides to go off piste to go look at that waterfall, potentially on not well marked paths, then a compass can be really useful. If you never stray from the yellow markers, it has less relevance.

Secret Keeper: I have a bit the feeling that particularly a) older and b) north American members of this board are very concerned when it comes to potential risk of theft while on the camino. I have never on my many travels in europe (well, i live here) felt the need for something like a secret keeper, money belt or whatnot. My wallet sits in my trousers, my phone either in its pocket of the backpack or in the trousers as well. And i have a debit card and some cash hidden somewhere for an emergency.
On the other hand, since i don't have to carry a passport, even if my wallet was to go missing it would not be the end of the world. I could still quite easily arrange for travel back home and such. (I don't get the thing about passports being at a risk of being stolen. I know of the concept of identity theft, but it does not seem to be a major issue at least where i live)

The thing is you live in Germany, one of the safest countries in Europe. Not every country in Europe is as safe as Germany. While Spain might be pretty safe, we have also had a lot of crime related threads so far this season. Many pilgrims are seen as easy targets. Some of us aren't because we are big and hulk like and carry big steel poles. But if you are small and not built like Arnie or don't look like you might put up a fight, then keeping your documents and money close to your chest is probably a wise thing and having a sacrificial wallet with a 10 euro note in it is probably a good idea as well.

Passport wise they won't touch them. It's not like the days of old with passports being a thing to steal. Most are now tagged and trackable. They tend to want cash and tech. Keep the cash close and bury the tech in your pack when walking. A cheap battered phone is useless to them as well, the phones they want are the ones that cost a lot. If yours looks like you threw it on the floor and kicked it around for 20 mins, with a broken/cracked screen and scratched to hell and back, or maybe it's some basic model with very limited internet capability, they won't touch it.

Anyway i use a money belt strapped to my body. It's just the price you pay for trekking. I do still carry a wallet in my shorts, but it doesn't have much in it and I would rather introduce them to mr steel pole, than let them take it (or as my friend said, just jump on them (140kg sumo splat :p )). ;)

I'm a little confused by the question. Is this the same thing as the "waist pouch"? If so, how would you otherwise carry your important things in urban areas, where theft and loss are probably more likely?

My strong advice is to figure out a very precise routine for the most valuable items, and then train yourself to always follow that, every day of your journey. You should never be flailing your arms wondering where your phone is, and never be rummaging through your various bags/pockets to find your passport, or searching 4 pockets to find your credit card. You should always know exactly where those items are, so that when you start in the morning, or get up from the table at a restaurant, you have confidence. When you change your clothes in the evening or morning, you must make sure that you change/check these items.

Being at home is a bit different, for various reasons.

On the Camino, you will find yourself very tired in the evenings, and your sense of time and place will become confused. You will lose track of what day it is, and what town you left in the morning. You do not want to lose track of your emergency credit card or your phone! Each of these items needs a permanent and logical home where they can be retrieved as needed:
  • phone, daily credit/banking card, daily cash, passport, medical information, emergency cash, emergency alternative credit card, credencial.
Everything else can be organized or disorganized as much or as little as you prefer.

Having this routine reduces likelihood of losing items, and it certainly reduces the moments of panic wondering where things are!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Excellent advice C Clearly!!!!! What you described is my plan. I'm confused by my own question, ha!
I'm going to send you a message - hope thats ok ....

Keep the cash close and bury the tech in your pack when walking. A cheap battered phone is useless to them as well, the phones they want are the ones that cost a lot.
Pathfinder- Why keep my phone buried in my pacK? Seems very inconvenient - but I understand the theft issue.

Pathfinder- Why keep my phone buried in my pacK? Seems very inconvenient - but I understand the theft issue.
I think that the "bury in the backpack" advice is relevant for those who want to walk without their phone readily accessible, and it is more appropriate for the cheap battered phone that Pathfinder likes to take. (After all, you will occasionally remove your backpack and turn away from it, so nothing of great value should be left in it.)

I use my phone and its camera regularly during the day, so I want it accessible. I do recognize that this makes it more vulnerable, so I attach it to my cross-body bag with a quick release lanyard like this. It helps me not drop it or leave behind, and it has certainly foiled one pickpocket in another country.

Since this is attached to the strap of the bag across my chest, I can still use the camera without detaching it. If you put a phone in your pants pocket or a waist bag, it might be more awkward to keep attached.

Last edited:
Yeah sorry, I meant tech as in tablets, etc. Phones, keep them close but not too close. I have a top pocket on my rucksack and I tend to keep mine in there, which also works for running my headphones out of it and keeps it dry when it rains. It's basically where I keep my phone, powerbank, first aid kit, a couple of epipens and other easy to access stuff. I tend to flight mode the phone by day, catch up on calls and texts on breaks and at the end of the day, which also stops it draining the battery through the day. If you are on a mainstream route, you will always generally have a cell tower nearby. If you are off the beaten track in the Picos, then you might not and your phone will search for a tower constantly which drains your battery pretty quickly. So I switch mine to flight mode and switch flight mode off when I stop for lunch, or if I hit an albergue I enable wifi, but leave flight mode on (you can still make calls over wifi or use Whatsapp to achieve the same thing).

For you, if you have somewhere secure upon you, but also easy to access, then keep it there. It depends a lot on what you use your phone for. Mine , like @C clearly is used for photos and for me music. I also don't remove my pack very often, mainly for lunch and since I don't use the places you use, like cafes and restaurants, i don't worry so much about someone stealing it. I leave the phone bit up to you, you will probably have a place you like to keep it while walking. As long as that isn't your back pocket, then it should be fine. ;)

The lanyard is a great idea.

Another thing I forgot to add, but you have probably already done it. Photocopy your passport, health card, travel insurance docs, a copy of your medication/health info and a list of emergency numbers including your banks international emergency number, etc, and put it somewhere in your pack with 2-3x 20 euro notes. It's your old school get out of jail pack if something happens. But you may already have a protocol for this.

It´s hard to get the issue of security in perspective. Thefts do occur in Spain, as they do everywhere, but they tend not to be of the pickpocket variety except in big cities and even then more often than not through being in the wrong place at the wrong time. ´Situational awareness´, as they call it, is probably your best defence as you stroll around town. Keeping everything in one place is more convenient and easier to protect. A protection against theft or loss is to scan all your documents etc before you go, then email them to yourself so that you can print them out if needed. This saves the weight of carrying photocopies. Paper is a lot heavier than you might think. You could also put the scans on a USB.

I keep my everyday valuables (wallet, passport, phone) in a crossbody bag that I put in before my backpack and leave on while I eat and even when I use the restroom. It comes off, but goes into the shower area with me, and is inside my sleep sack with me at night.

This year I starting wearing my phone on a lanyard around my neck, but tuck the phone into a pocket of the crossbody bag. Tye lanyard around my neck is mostly to keep from dropping the phone when I'm taking photos. When I'm in the larger cities my wallet is also on a short lanyard attached to the inside of the bag.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
keep my everyday valuables (wallet, passport, phone) in a crossbody bag that I put in before my backpack and leave on while I eat and even when I use the restroom. It comes off, but goes into the shower area with me, and is inside my sleep sack with me at night.
Trecile - did you mean to say you don the crossbody bag before your backpack? So it goes over your clothes but under your pack?

verything in one place is more convenient and easier to protect. A protection against theft or loss is to scan all your documents etc before you go, then email them to yourself so that you can print them out if needed.
Hmmm,,, as long as you don't also lose your phone .... USB is a good idea, tho.

Trecile - did you mean to say you don the crossbody bag before your backpack? So it goes over your clothes but under your pack?
Yes, that's exactly right. The hip belt strap also goes over the strap on the crossbody bag and keeps it from bouncing around.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hmmm,,, as long as you don't also lose your phone .... USB is a good idea, tho.
You can access your email from a computer or someone else's phone. You can also store them on the cloud via Google Drive or similar.

I use my phone and its camera regularly during the day, so I want it accessible. I do recognize that this makes it more vulnerable, so I attach it to my cross-body bag with a quick release lanyard like this. It helps me not drop it or leave behind, and it has certainly foiled one pickpocket in another country.

Since this is attached to the strap of the bag across my chest, I can still use the camera without detaching it. If you put a phone in your pants pocket or a waist bag, it might be more awkward to keep attached.
How about using a small shoulder pouch like this?
Shoulder strap pouch

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I keep my everyday valuables (wallet, passport, phone) in a crossbody bag that I put in before my backpack and leave on while I eat and even when I use the restroom. It comes off, but goes into the shower area with me, and is inside my sleep sack with me at night.
This is exactly what I do.
How about using a small shoulder pouch like this?
The problem is that it is attached to your backpack - same problem as putting things inside a pouch on the pack. When you take your backpack off, you need to remove it and carry (in your hand?) wherever you are going, put it down while you go to the toilet, etc. Hopefully you won't forget it. Or, if will seem too much trouble and you will decide to leave it on your pack, "just for a second, this time only."

I want a simple routine that is convenient to follow and fairly secure, so I am not constantly tempted to break it. This works for me. However, I see people all around the world, successfully going through life with different approaches!

Only if you can remember your passwords!!!!???!!!! LOL
I use a password manager so that I only have one master password to remember.
If you have two factor authentication on your email account or cloud storage that has you authenticate on your phone you might want to turn that off during the Camino.

Of course that's worse case scenario that you lose your phone or it is damaged, which unfortunately I have experience with. Last year my phone was damaged - it got soaked and stopped working. I was able to buy a cheapie phone and restore everything that I needed from my old phone via my Google account and the master password of my password manager.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I did a similar spreadsheet, which I’ll be posting in the next few days. I’m around 11-11.5 lbs.(5-5.2kg), without food or water. What else can we do while we pine away our time until we leave for Camino?😄. I leave in 37 days from Florida . Congratulations. Well done!

€60,-
I disagree with others about the compass - most useful if you ever travel in the dark & miss a turn (also I encountered some rural villages where "spoof" yellow arrows were painted on the ground to lead the unsuspecting to a cafe or bar. Compass useful to find your way back.

Agree about the spare pole ends.

You could save on the sun visor if you have sunglasses.

I aimed to keep to 20Lbs (9.1Kgs).

The great thing about the camino is how simple life can be, and how few things you actually need. Be ruthless and have the luxury of a light pack. My wife and I carried packs that were ~6lb + clothing we wore. Description of our approach to packing and packing list via lighterpack.

Pick pockets are not a common thing along the camino nor are violent robberies. Some basic situational awareness should have you covered. Don't be fear driven. The most common threat is money and tech that are left un-attended... so keep them with you and you should be fine.

All the various bags, pack liners, etc... my encouragement would be to simplify. The less you bring, the fewer bags you need to organize your stuff. If you are using a poncho you don't need a pack liner.
My recommendation would be to drop the daypack, secret keeper, waist bag, etc. Go with small cross body bag which you can easily use while wearing your backpack. Lots of options... I like the 120gram Decathlon 15l messenger bag... which costs 8euros. My wife used a reusable shopping sling that weights 30grams she picked up in Japan.

I would drop the shoe laces, trowel, etc. You aren't in the wilderness with no chance of resupply. On most days you will walk past a store that will have what you need. If not... you could likely take a 15 minute taxi to a larger town that has whatever you are looking for.

I won't worry about clothesline... most places you sleep will have clothinglines set up... all pilgrims need to wash their clothing.

You don't need a liner AND a sleeping bag. One or the other depending on the weather.

The gaiters are fine, but unneeded. Much less debris, dirt, and dust that most back country trails.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The only one that needs to be happy with your gear selection is yourself.
You will find after your first Camino you will access what you used/didn't use and adjust accordingly.
My pack list has continually evolved over my six Caminos with the 'less is more' always being the central theme.
The great thing about a Camino versus something like a Pacific coast trail type of walk is that you can always purchase something if you detect a shortfall in gear.

This year I starting wearing my phone on a lanyard around my neck, but tuck the phone into a pocket of the crossbody bag. Tye lanyard around my neck is mostly to keep from dropping the phone when I'm taking photos. When I'm in the larger cities my wallet is also on a short lanyard attached to the inside of the bag.
How do you attach the lanyard to your phone?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Marska. Great list and thank you for sharing it.
Like that you are not carrying a power bank. My new mobile phone only needs to be charged every three days so I will also not carry a power bank. (I carry all my "tech" in a small pouch with a luminous key fob so I can find it at night. My earplugs are in there as well.)
Not sure about your sink plug. I have carried one in my wash kit but haven't used it - ever. Not going to take it with me next time.
I have a mini compass on my rucksack shoulder strap AND one on my wrist watch. As I don't carry maps or use my mobile phone en route the compass gives me reassurance that I'm heading in the right direction.
I have used both small and big plugs. Prevents water wastage in dry environment.

I like the idea of using a small crossbody bag for carrying those small valuables while walking. Can you provide a link to show the crossbody bag you use?

I like the idea of using a small crossbody bag for carrying those small valuables while walking. Can you provide a link to show the crossbody bag you use?
I have a Baggallini Triple Zip bag. It can be worn crossbody or as a waist bag.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

€83,-
Dont hold back!!!! : )
I know you won't.

;)
Nice planning. (Almost envy) I am walking from Porto to Santiago and going to have a backpack of 4,5 kilos.
I walked from Leon to santiago with 7,5 kgs and it made me think twice while packing. With 76 yrs and two false knies I have to try to make my camino as enjoyable as possible. I wish you a Buon Camino

Don't hold back!!!! : )
I know you won't

I applaud you keeping your starting weight to just over 6 kg.👏👏👏

My only observation is "tops".

It wasn't obvious to me what "cold, warm, hot day" clothing strategy you are using. And that was because I didn't know the names listed of what you are intending to use.

To explain my observation.
I have three merino tops (2 short sleeve (ss) and 1 long (ls) ) of which at least one is worn to start the day.
In addition I have a long sleeve parka to keep out the wind and/or rain.
On moderate days (and above) I would usually start with a ss top, expecting both the day and I will warm up.
And so on with the combinations that make sense for at least an hour or so ahead.
And I am conscious that my understanding of heat and cold will differ from others.

I don't need an answer - this is a decision for you alone.

As Queen Elizabeth told me and all my neighbours down this way, Kia kaha, kia māia, kia mana'wa'nui (take care, be strong, patient and confident) for your journey ahead.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.