• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First timer on the Camino

TimberWolfMk2

Hi everyone, greetings from Singapore! Not sure if this is the right section to post... I happened to stumble upon a blog post on the Camino last week, and the idea of attempting it myself sometime next year has been stuck in my head since then. Call it a premature mid-life crisis. After reading through some of the info on the web and threads on this forum, I'm probably going with the Camino Frances...but would definitely appreciate any advice/tips from experienced trekkers.

Bearing in mind I'm a 30 year old Chinese male, with average physical fitness, zero cross country biking or trekking experience,

1) If I had about 3-4 weeks available, where along the Camino Frances would be an ideal starting point? I'm tentatively leaning towards le Puy or St. Jean Pied de Port
2) Will I face any difficulties if I don't speak a word of French/Spanish?
3) Should I bike or walk the Camino?
4) Is it necessary to reserve accommodations in advance, or would it be possible to just walk into an albergue and get a room for the night?

Thanks in advance!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
1. With four weeks I would start in Logrono so you would not have to rush
2. If you speak English you will manage. It would be good to learn basic phrases in Spanish for coffee, food and accomodation, please and thanks. It's good manners.
3. I would definately walk first. You might come back and cycle at a later time.
4. Not necessary but if you want to you can get a list of all albergues on this forum and ring ahead. Get help for this or learn a few more basic phrases.
If this trip is stuck in your head the only way to get it out is to do it. You will love it.

Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wayfarer pretty much nailed the answer there. Though you could probably still start from before Logroño. But if you start in Logroño you could take time to check out Burgos for a day or another city down the way :)

1) SJPdP might be 'just' possible, but would be a horrible rush, Le Puy would be only possible by bike, but also there you would be in a rush and most likely miss a lot. Take your time, my rule of thumb is multiple the 'walking days' you have available with 12.5 mi / 20 km and you get your starting distance from Santiago. Example:
25 walking days = 312 mi / 500 km = Start in Burgos
That gives you enough leeway for rest days, if you have time leftover at the end, you can spend those days in Santiago or walk on to Finisterre.

2) English is the lingua franca on the Camino in Spain, but less so in France, so you will be fine. The people along the way are used since hundreds of years to pilgrims that don't speak their language and try to be very accommodating. Still, learning a few phrases and words will show that you are making an effort to be polite.

3) You see more when you walk, that is my opinion. Also as biker you will, unless you find other bikers that do the same miles as you do, 'lose' your new won friends each day again. One of the joys of the Camino is the people you meet and spend some time with, something what happens more likely with walkers as most do tend to do similar distances each day. Bikers vary more wildly, some do 50km some 80km a day. Also, if you have never done mountain biking before, it is quite a learning curve. And last, but not least, getting a bike from Singapore to Spain and back will be expensive and complicated.

4) Yes, you can reserve a bed ahead, but it does limit the spontaneity on the way as you always 'have' to walk to where your bed is. As long as you are not walking in July / August and try to walk acyclic (not staying where all the guides say you should stay) you shouldn't have too much trouble in finding a bed / mattress for the night. BTW the albergues have normally shared accommodation (think big youth hostel dormitories for pilgrims) some have rooms available for a higher price and there are also a lot of pensions/hostales/hotels along the route.

Hope that helps a little bit.
Buen Camino! SY

1) If I had about 3-4 weeks available, where along the Camino Frances would be an ideal starting point? I'm tentatively leaning towards le Puy or St. Jean Pied de Port
2) Will I face any difficulties if I don't speak a word of French/Spanish?
3) Should I bike or walk the Camino?
4) Is it necessary to reserve accommodations in advance, or would it be possible to just walk into an albergue and get a room for the night?

Thanks everyone who replied, appreciate the suggestions! Will try to get my hands on the guidebook by John Brierly soon. Guess the logistics involved in biking do not make it an attractive option at this point....

Just had a look at the map, Logrono/Burgos don't seem very far away from SJPP (on the map at least!). Was really hoping to start in SJPP as I wanted to catch some of the French countryside on the journey...but if it is going to be a rush to complete, then it looks like I'll have to readjust my plans :(

Guides online put the route from SJPP to Santiago at about 800km, so going by the calculation SYates provided, it should take me about 40days? Is 20km the average pace most people manage on the camino?

Also, if I do not have sufficient cash on hand, do the albergues/cafes/establishments along the camino accept credit cards?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm sure you could do it in thirty days :)
Most small to large towns have a cash point or more. The more distant or tiny villages may not. I usually stock up on enough to get me from hub to hub. Supermarkets will also take cards if you don want to always use your cash supply.

... Guides online put the route from SJPP to Santiago at about 800km, so going by the calculation SYates provided, it should take me about 40days? Is 20km the average pace most people manage on the camino?
Also, if I do not have sufficient cash on hand, do the albergues/cafes/establishments along the camino accept credit cards?

It really depends on how much walking you are used to do. Some people that have never done any serious walking before the Camino will do less in the beginning and increase their mileage over time. 20km / 13 mi / day allows also for rest days because of injuries (blisters!) or simply because you want to explore a city like Leon a bit longer. So, what I meant is that it is an average when seeing the whole of the journey. I have met pilgrims that were doing 40+km / day (and in the same time that others were doing 20 km ;-) - but they were used to it from home and really well trained!

No, you will be hard pressed to find an albergue or small businesses that accepts cards. A good guide book will advice you of 'ATM-less' stretches, so that you can plan ahead.

Buen Camino! SY

Which month are you planning to do the Camino? I'm most properly going either end July or beginning August as I'll be bring a priest along with me so can have daily mass during the Camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Alphonso, not entirely sure when I'll be headed over, thinking of May-June 2014 tentatively but of course that is subject to my finances (saving up for the trip is a major pain). There is a possibility I might end up delaying it...

Would a daily budget of 50€ be sufficient for lodgings and food? How much does one set aside for the Camino typically anyway?

... Would a daily budget of 50€ be sufficient for lodgings and food? How much does one set aside for the Camino typically anyway?

That is plenty, if you stay in albergues, if you stay in hostels/hotels ect pilgrim life becomes more expensive. Accommodation prices (which is the major cost factor on the way) for pilgrims albergues are roughly between 6-12 Euros / night. A pilgrims menu is around 9-12 Euro, add another 10 Euro for snacks and the occasional treat and you end up with a comfortable budget of 25-35 Euro / day. Hope that helps and Buen Camino! SY

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back