• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flooding, collapsed "bridge" and mud, mud, mud!!!

Nikki-ki-yay

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances +Finisterra and Muxia (2007,2009,2014/2015).
Camino Portuguese (2014)
Via de la Plata (2016?)
Camino del Norte (2016?)
Left Lisbon a two days ago and encountered some problems outside of Sacravém! At one point a part if the path acting as a bridge over a small creek, outlet (don't really know what to call it) had collapsed and left me climbing over rubble. Was ok for me since I'm young and kind of fit but it was still a bit unnerving. Further on the road was flooded on and off. At one point I had to ford (English is not my native you he so I can't think if a better word right now) the camino for about 2km. The path between Sacravém and Póvoa de Santa Iria is very muddy, full of deep puddles and at some places flooded! So take great care and have a great camino! ❤️

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Left Lisbon a two days ago and encountered some problems outside of Sacravém! At one point a part if the path acting as a bridge over a small creek, outlet (don't really know what to call it) had collapsed and left me climbing over rubble. Was ok for me since I'm young and kind of fit but it was still a bit unnerving. Further on the road was flooded on and off. At one point I had to ford (English is not my native you he so I can't think if a better word right now) the camino for about 2km. The path between Sacravém and Póvoa de Santa Iria is very muddy, full of deep puddles and at some places flooded! So take great care and have a great camino! ❤️
We had the same experience at the same bridge last year May so I think nothing has changed there in the meantime.
I never saw any post about it by other plilgrims .I think everybody is taken this obstacle and walk on and forget about it. Thanks for posting and bom caminho.

Last edited:
I believe we have Nikki-ki-yay with us today at Santarem Hostel, as we have spook about this flood in Sacavem.
It is not usual to have floods in Sancavem at this time as I told her but she showed me a picture of that... so be advised !
Nikki will you post the picture you have showed me?
Bom Caminho Nikki
Mario

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This photo is taken from the "highground" besked the camino. As you can see the road continues into a pool that was knee-deep.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    725.4 KB · Views: 112
Walking poles are a great help to get you safely through the muddy puddles.

Bom caminho Nikki - please post again and let us know how your caminho progresses.

Another warning. The path between Azambuja and Santarém is also very flooded. I took the N-3 yesterday so I was fine. (Stopped for coffee at Casa das Peles just before Cartaxo and they were so nice and so happy to see a pilgrim that they treated me ❤️ Such kindness!) Decided to take a rest day in Santarém and met a fellow pilgrim that had started of from Azambuja in the morning but had to turn back because of the flooding. I am concerned about the rest of the Camino but I choose not to worry. Things just have a way to work themselves out and I've found that the Camino provides. One way or another!:p

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Nikki-ki-yay,
Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about all the flooding, but I think you're right that it'll all work out. It would be nice if things dried off a bit, though. Has Portugal had unusual rains lately? No matter what happens to the weather, one thing will be unchanging -- and that's the kindness of the Portuguese people. Let us know how things go, and bom caminho, Laurie

Another warning. The path between Azambuja and Santarém is also very flooded. I took the N-3 yesterday so I was fine. (Stopped for coffee at Casa das Peles just before Cartaxo and they were so nice and so happy to see a pilgrim that they treated me ❤️ Such kindness!) Decided to take a rest day in Santarém and met a fellow pilgrim that had started of from Azambuja in the morning but had to turn back because of the flooding. I am concerned about the rest of the Camino but I choose not to worry. Things just have a way to work themselves out and I've found that the Camino provides. One way or another!:p
A day and a half and you will start to climb. After Golegã and Vila Nova Barquinha you will keep your feet dry :)

Hi. I am a few days in Front of you. Today in coimbra. On the 22.11. I left tomar and between tomar and Ponte peniche i walked on brierlys green way (marked with a sun Symbol where the ways split) without problems.
Yesterday after ansios football Stadium a lady recommended me not to follow the official way due to flooding and to follow the road to my left, which seems to be the old way, because after 200m i found yellow arrows. If you need GPS koordinates, tell me. Enjoy your way. In golega solo Euro was nice and in tomar hostel 2300. Greetings to the owner oft santarem hostel. Stef

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Solo duro of course.
From santarem to golega was another flooded path somewhere around cruce but just 50 m.
I did not try the green Option between opcion and pombalinho and followed the official way till Estrada real. From there green way to azinhaga centro and ponte. At ponte i tried again the green way to avoid the Main road, but i stopped after the 3rd flooded part of More than 100m each and went back to the Main road.
Veel plezier

Hi, Stef and Nikki,
I am sorry to hear about all the flooding, but the silver lining here is that more segments of the Caminho from Lisbon appear to have been moved off the side of the road onto the "green" option. Since one of the major complaints about this part of the Portugues has been all the asphalt, it looks like, at least during better weather, there are lots more off-road parts. That's great news for dry weather pilgrims. Hope you are enjoying Portugal in spite of all the water. Fingers crossed for better weather for you! Bom caminho, Laurie

Hi. I am a few days in Front of you. Today in coimbra. On the 22.11. I left tomar and between tomar and Ponte peniche i walked on brierlys green way (marked with a sun Symbol where the ways split) without problems.
Yesterday after ansios football Stadium a lady recommended me not to follow the official way due to flooding and to follow the road to my left, which seems to be the old way, because after 200m i found yellow arrows. If you need GPS koordinates, tell me. Enjoy your way. In golega solo Euro was nice and in tomar hostel 2300. Greetings to the owner oft santarem hostel. Stef

Hi Stefan
Good to know all is good :)
Bom caminho
Mario

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
the old bridge over Rio vouga is destroyed. to pass the river fly, swim, try a James bond 50m jump or take the n1 bridge (best option).

This one is still standing (good Roman quality). It is the next one which is broken and the fisherman on the bridge said, that it broke down while someone was walking over it. Brrrrrr.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The bridge is between Águeda and Albergaría-a-Velha just after coming down a steep hill. We followed the yellow waymarks and just down a car stopped and the driver told us not to follow the waymarks but go over the N1 bridge. On the N1 bridge to the left you could see what happened. The bridge was collapsed. If I can find the picture back I will upload it on this forum.
At the end of the N1 bridge you have to climb over the protection side rail and cross the road. After a while you walk around a river and over the Roman bridge , Laurie pictured. The yellow waymarks you will find back soon after the N1 bridge.

So, Albertinho, are you saying that the bridge in my picture hasn't collapsed? I thought that was the bridge of Marnel and I also thought a part of it had collapsed. There are too many bridges on the Caminho to keep track of!

So, Albertinho, are you saying that the bridge in my picture hasn't collapsed? I thought that was the bridge of Marnel and I also thought a part of it had collapsed. There are too many bridges on the Caminho to keep track of!
I do not dare dear Laurie :) but... last year on the 19th of May we walked over that bridge over the river Marnel, indeed called ponte de Marnel .the only thing what I see now on the map is that the collapsed bridge comes after that Roman bridge and crosses the river Vouga. The waymarking is supposed to go over that collapsed bridge but as said. Somebody warned us and so we took the N1 bridge.
But may be you are right and in the meantime the Roman bridge collapsed too

On the first picture although a bit hard to see the old Roman bridge in the background which we passed some moments before the picture was taken.
The second picture an overview of that day a.o.our lodging in casa Diocesana just outside Albergaría-a-Velha with the nuns and picture 3 is the bridge over the river Vouga which was collapsed . On the second row of the second picture ,left you see my wife walking on the N1 motorway bridge at the safe side of the safetyrail.
But it is possible that more bridges collapsed but I think we all could have read this because lots of our friends forummembers update very often about the conditions.
Maybe Stef can shine some light on our kind discussion

A big hug from Rotterdam the Netherland from my wife Nel and myself.

http://katiaesteves.wordpress.com/c...ho-de-santiago-portugues-caminho-de-santiago/
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
image.jpg [/ATTACH] I found the pictures Laurie. Was looking for some others today so tought I share them with you.
Do we still mean the same.

Best regards from over the ocean image.jpg

Thanks,Albertinho, good to know that as others have pointed out, the Roman/medieval bridges seem to have a longer life span than some of the more modern construction! Any news on repairs? Laurie
No Laurie I have never researched this item but will do.
Anyway no bother becauseasthe second picture shows you can cross the river by using the hardshoulder at the save side of the safetyrail of the motorway.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back