• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

food allergies on the camino

Elizabethanne

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk in September (2015)
I fly out from Melbourne and on 20 September and start walking on the 23rd from St Jean and all prepared gear wise and body wise, but have put off and put off asking this question. Whenever I travel it is the bit I dread - however I always manage to eat well. But it is the question I dread asking. Is there anyone out there who has walked the camino with allergies to onion, garlic and gluten. I believe that I will be able to cook for myself in some of the albergues - is this possible? I have some Spanish vocab and can speak simple sentences especially re my food.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I fly out from Melbourne and on 20 September and start walking on the 23rd from St Jean and all prepared gear wise and body wise, but have put off and put off asking this question. Whenever I travel it is the bit I dread - however I always manage to eat well. But it is the question I dread asking. Is there anyone out there who has walked the camino with allergies to onion, garlic and gluten. I believe that I will be able to cook for myself in some of the albergues - is this possible? I have some Spanish vocab and can speak simple sentences especially re my food.
I too have allergies but in 2011, didn't think I had an option but to eat what ever was available. I'm lucky that food allergies aren't as worrying to me as my many allergies to medications. I have anaphylaxis, but to be prepared for the unforeseen with that, I google translated English to all languages whilst overseas, including stopovers. I printed it, then had it laminated. I felt that at least if there was a life threatening incident then at least language would not complicate it more. You might like to do something similar re: foods.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi @Elizabethanne - Onions, garlic and wheat are pretty ubiquitous to Spanish cuisine so be careful. Even a little Spanish and some pre-printed cards will undoubtably help. Some Albergues have kitchen facilities and some even have pots and pans. The municipal Albergues in Galicia are notorious for having excellent kitchens bare of utensils :confused:. Both Brierley's guide-book and the Gronze website list Albergue facilities so you might want to do some research there.

Good luck and Buen Camino

I walked for a few days with a very nice Irishman on the Frances 2 years ago - he was, unfortunately, allergic to garlic, and carried a written notice to show at meal times: "no ajo". After becoming separated, we met again in Santiago, where we had a meal together - he had to forego his first choice of roast lamb, as it had been cooked with garlic.
But, I think he managed to eat very well,all along his camino,despite the allergy.

Last edited:
Hi @Elizabethanne - Onions, garlic and wheat are pretty ubiquitous to Spanish cuisine so be careful. Even a little Spanish and some pre-printed cards will undoubtably help. Some Albergues have kitchen facilities and some even have pots and pans. The municipal Albergues in Galicia are notorious for having excellent kitchens bare of utensils :confused:. Both Brierley's guide-book and the Gronze website list Albergue facilities so you might want to do some research there.

Good luck and Buen Camino
I agree with Tincatinker, onions and garlic are very much part of every dish. Even if you stay at a place with a vegetarian communal meal it will be hard to get them to separate them from the preparation of the food. Just ask them to and they will no doubt respond to your request. Preparing your own meal has and is becoming more and more difficult along the Camino because of the disrespect pilgrims have shown for the kitchens and the kitchen equipment. I'm not an expert on gluten but again pasta is a mainstay of most pilgrim meals, you can always ask for fried potatoes and eggs as a main course or a tortilla, I suppose and avoid all of that.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm not an expert on gluten but again pasta is a mainstay of most pilgrim meals, you can always ask for fried potatoes and eggs as a main course or a tortilla, I suppose and avoid all of that.

The "tortilla de patatas" (potato omelette) is indeed a mainstay of spanish cuisine, but be aware that it can also have onions. (In fact, one perennial controversy among spanish foodies is whether it's better with or without them). So, if you are going to ask for a tortilla, don't forget to ask for it "sin cebolla".

Remember this phrase in spanish: "soy alergica al ajo, la cebolla y al gluten".

Ajo = garlic
Cebolla = onion
I don't want to sound sarcastic or negative but what does that accomplish other than tell your host I don't want to eat your food.
I think a kind request in Spanish about the food allergy would be much more appreciated!
Besides most tortilla are prepared early in the day and there is no way you are going to get one to be prepared to order sans onion or garlic. IMHO!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't want to sound sarcastic or negative but what does that accomplish other than tell your host I don't want to eat your food.
I think a kind request in Spanish about the food allergy would be much more appreciated!

Uh? The phrase I posted means literally "I am allergic to garlic, onion and gluten".

Uh? The phrase I posted means literally "I am allergic to garlic, onion and gluten".
Yes, I get that, trust me. But it doesn't mean much to a cafe/bar owner who already has his food set out on the counter as tapas or pinxos for the daily crowd to consume.
I am deeply sympathetic to people with food allergies, eating in Spain has to be a major pain in the ass.
Fortunately or unfortunately there is lots of stuff preserved in bags and in towns with tiendras one can find the fixings for salads and what not.

The "tortilla de patatas" (potato omelette) is indeed a mainstay of spanish cuisine, but be aware that it can also have onions. (In fact, one perennial controversy among spanish foodies is whether it's better with or without them). So, if you are going to ask for a tortilla, don't forget to ask for it "sin cebolla".
It should always have onions in my book. That is what you fry up first to give flavor to the oil the potatoes will then be fried. Yum!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, I get that, trust me. But it doesn't mean much to a cafe/bar owner who already has his food set out on the counter as tapas or pinxos for the daily crowd to consume.
I am deeply sympathetic to people with food allergies, eating in Spain has to be a major pain in the ass.
Fortunately or unfortunately there is lots of stuff preserved in bags and in towns with tiendras one can find the fixings for salads and what not.
I don't get it. The phrase suggested by Caminofacil is just fine. It's the essence of something that can be stuck in the middle of niceties, such as " Lo siento, tenga alergias al ajo, cebolla y gluten. Tiene algo en el menu que no tenga estos ingredientes?" Surely the person at the bar can point to the pinxos, bocadillos, salads, etc that do not contain any of these. Harder to find yes, rude?, no.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your comments, I know it will be tricky, but want to have some ideas of how to manage this. It is a long walk with not much to eat. I will check out which albergues have kitchens also.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi,

I'm extremely sensitive to anything gluten. I will literally throw up within a few hours after I consume it. I have coeliacs disease. Go to this site and print the following http://www.celiactravel.com/cards/spanish/ and also add the other allergies you have - it will help you in the restaurants.

Another really good site is this one: http://www.celiacos.org/gluten-free-spain.html

Spanish people are beautiful and super helpful, they will help you all the way. I walked the Camino in 2011 and they turned themselves inside out to help me. I am sure there are Spanish people with your condition, so even tho this (garlic, onion and bread) is a staple in the Spanish kitchen you will still get the help and support you need. My only advice is that you always try to start the conversation with some Spanish (maybe you speak it already) as they really appreciate you making that effort. You can have omelettes with or without the potatoes and then some (plenty of choices),, many dinners with the best salads you can imagine (in the pilgrim menu). They have cooked special dinners for me so many times (I love Spanish food after my 2011 Camino) and you also have the options of cooking on your own in the various albergues (not all of them).

During the days, I advise you to pick up nuts and fruit along the way cause you never know where you'll get to eat the food you need.

So you'll be fine, just make sure you know how to communicate your needs.

Here is a warm salad they made specially for me :) (I'm hungry now).

I'm heading back next week and have already spoken to a few places about my "limitations" and been given options, so lots and lots of understanding.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• DSC_0136.jpg
    DSC_0136.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 10
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Salad looks yum. This info sounds so encouraging. It is the last thing on my list to get a handle on. I will go to these sites and should email Orison about my limitations. I am so looking forward to it

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Use some form of guidebook so you can find places that have functioning fully equipped kitchens and which towns have supermercados, also before you go shopping at the supermercado, take a look around the kitchen and ask or see what previous pilgrims have left behind such a salt, pepper, vegetables, oil, and other stuff, you might be surprised.
All the Xunta Municipal Albergues in Galicia have kitchens with no equipment whatsoever, plan on private albergues with a fully equipped kitchen in the last 200kms.
I have seen some farmacias that sell sin gluten bread a few times as well.

Are you pre booking your accommodation?

I booked the first two nights (one of them in Orisson), but I have checked a few along the way. I am bringing a food container and spork to fill up on food where I can - I still need to be smart about it. The Spanish Coeliac site has some recommendations for restaurants (most of them in big cities). But really, I know a lot of the places you'll stay in are small villages, but my experience is that they are supportive. I remember one lady brought out all the spices and showed me the packaging of the products.

I learnt (the hard way) to always have an emergency supply of high energy, safe food with me - a variety of cheese, nuts, tinned fish in oil, pate, chorizo (but that may have garlic), fruit, pork scratchings (chicharrones/pork rinds) and when I got the opportunity I would hard boil some eggs to go in my pack too. Between SJPP and Zubiri I ate 2 fish, the last of my dates and nuts and a tin of pate plus was sustained by a few glasses of wine ;) I got by.

Salads are always a good option. All cafe/bar/restaurant owners who I explained my situation to (in Spanish) were more than understanding and a number very kindly went out of their way to find an alternative of which I was most grateful.

If buying tinned/pre-packed foods learn the Spanish for what the ingredients you are allergic to are.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back