Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food and Drink Between Ponferrada and Quiroga/San Clodio

Charrito

Veteran Member
This will be a fairly long post about places to stop for a drink and/or food between Ponferrada and Quiroga/San Clodio.

My football team, Unionistas de Salamanca, were playing two consecutive away games, against Cultural León and Ponferradina, so I thought I’d stay up there and do some walking.

After the game in León, which we drew 1-1, I drove to Ponferrada and started out from there on the Invierno. As I know a lot of people on the route I was invited to stay in a couple of places, and I was extremely well looked after.

The following is just a slightly updated version of places to eat and drink between Ponferrada and Quiroga (where I finished my walking in order to catch the train back to Ponferrada on Saturday morning, and meet up with my friends from Salamanca):

In Toral de Merayo the Coviran supermarket just before the bridge is open for those who intend to spend the night in the Albergue in Villavieja to stock up on some supplies. Bar El Puente next door is also open, and over the bridge you have La Cantina del Señor Lobo. The panadería is still there just up the street, and their empanadas are highly recommended!

There are two bars on the road (a slight detour down from the camino) in Villalibre de la Jurisdicción: Mesa Para 2 and Bar Ruta 98. Both will give you an excellent free pincho.

On the road (a slight detour from the camino) in Priaranza del Bierzo you have Bar Inés, another place with excellent pinchos.

Café Bar Ronda, at the end of the road in Santalla del Bierzo (another slight detour from the camino), is normally open, but if it’s not the lady owner, who lives upstairs, will come down and let you in. They have a nice covered terrace at the back with beautiful views over the Bierzo valley. Sadly, there are no pinchos, but she will make you a bocadillo if you ask.

There’s nothing available in Villavieja or at Cornatel Castle. If you’re staying in Borrenes, with Saturno and Marisol in the Hotel Rural Cornatel Médulas, they will provide meals, but if you just want to stop off before continuing up to Las TMédulas it’s better to contact them beforehand. I was invited to eat there last Monday: an enormous earthenware bowl of Botillo, with the typical side dish of boiled potatoes, cabbage and chickpeas. A real blow out, washed down with some excellent Mencía red wine.

If you can’t eat there, you can always pop down to Restaurante Las Ventas on the main road (a detour of about 1 km), where they serve a decent enough menu del día. It’s easy enough to get back on the camino from there.

In Las Médulas my favourite place is O Camiño Real, just at the start of the village. Excellent Caldo Berciano and, if you’re feeling hungry, try one of Javi’s enormous Cachopos! Depending on the day of the week you can also find other places open for a drink or meal, but Las Médulas can be a bit of a ghost town off season or midweek.

In Puente de Domingo Flórez, if you’re staying in the Casa Rosa Albergue, you have Cafetería Los Arcos just round the corner. They have quite a few plates on offer, including raciones and sandwiches, but their hamburgers are massive, especially the one they call ‘XXL’!

Ther’s a churrería in the Plaza del Toral, and the ever-present Bar El Cruce down on the main road. It’s worth a short walk to Bar Bom Vita, opposite the municipal swimming-pool, and especially Mesón La Colmena, where Susana and Jorge are great hosts. If you’re lucky, you’ll be given a piping hot bowl of garlic soup, and they have a large selection of very reasonably priced raciones. I’ve eaten a couple of times in the Hostal La Torre, but – to be honest – it’s not a particularly exciting menú del día.

In the evening, and especially in late spring/summer, a great place to sit out on the terrace overlooking the river with a beer/wine (or several) is the Bodega Chillout. David and Lucía, who both speak perfect English, will look after you well. They often do gastronomic evenings, with different offerings: anything from Thai curries to Irish stews!

On the way to Sobradelo last Wednesday I got chatting to a retired Englishman. Kim and his wife Hazel have bought an old house in Pumares and are renovating it. Originally from Yorkshire, they moved to Andalucía but – for some inexplicable reason – they found a place in the middle of rural Galicia and moved up there. Being typical ex-pats, they speak just two words of Spanish and no Gallego! Anyway, he says he’ll invite you in for a cup of tea if he comes across you!

In Sobradelo the Centro Social Pontenova is still open, but Lili has left and there are new owners. They still provide some food, but the great menu del día has disappeared. Over the road, in Bar Mar, Manuel is still there, and he’s a marvellous, albeit quite peculiar, pilgrim-friendly host.

Incidentally, there’s a new Boutique Hotel down on the other side of the bridge, next to the Restaurante Mesón Museo, but with prices between 100 and 135 euros for a room, Manuel is not worried about competition!

If you’re lucky you’ll find Bar Martillo open in Éntoma. Some food available.

I always make a point of stopping off in the first bar at the top of O Barco de Valdeorras: a glass of the excellent local wine and a free pincho in Bar San Roque. Once in the town my two favourite restaurants are Casa Galaica and Casa Lameiro, both with very good menús del día. Casa Paradela, if it’s open, is good too. There are no end of bars in the town, but I tend to avoid the more touristy places along El Malecón by the river. In the evening I generally head for the Taberna O Buraco, in the Plazo de Calvo Sotelo, for some great pinchos morunos or chorizo criollo.

If you walk from O Barco on the north side of the river (there’s another thread about crossing the river and passing through Arnado before rejoining the camino at Valencia do Sil), then you have a few places in Villamartín. Hotel A Lastra is on the main road, and they serve up enormous tortillas in the bar. In Villamartín, not too far from the Albergue, you have a few more cafés, amongst which I would recommend Café Bar Santos and Bar Acuarela.

In order to avoid a bit of road walking after Valencia do Sil you have an alternative route into A Rúa (in the same thread I mentioned previously), but if you carry on down the long stretch you come across Panadería Peyma, an excellent place for coffee and cakes (or beer/wine if you prefer). In town there are quite a few bars, and on Sundays and holidays the pulperías set up and serve the octopus.

My new favourite place to eat is O Toño, with a cheap and varied menu del día. If you’re staying in O Pillabán make sure you try out Juan’s delicious Crema de Calabaza!

There’s nothing on the way from A Rúa to Quiroga, although an enterprising lady has set up something in the small village of Os Alvaredos, offering snacks and drinks. You also have the Alvaredo-Hobbs Winery in the village, co-owned by Paul Hobbs and a Spanish partner.

You’ll find some fruit left out for pilgrims by the amazing Sr. Casemiro just before Montefurado. In O Soldón you have the summer-only beach bar by the river, but that’s it until you get to Quiroga.

There are plenty of bars, cafés and restaurants in Quiroga. Many pilgrims head for Chapakuña, close to the municipal Albergue. Under the newly-renovated Hostal Quiper is a good bar, and next door you have the marvellous A Boticá Cafetería: excellent wines and pinchos and they now do a decent menu del día. There’s a lovely garden out back.

My ‘go-to’ place for a meal has always been Casa Aroza. Lupe and Miguel are so friendly and, even though their menu has gone up a bit in price, you will never be disappointed.

On Saturday morning I walked over to San Clodio in the pouring rain to catch my train back to Ponferrada and watch Unionistas de Salamanca get a great draw against the league leaders. In San Clodio the Hotel Restaurante Las Vegas has re-opened, and you also have Café Bar A Cabina, Café Bar Central and Bar River Sil by the railway line, with Café Bar Dickens on the way down to the bridge. After that it’s off towards Monforte de Lemos, with Pensión Pacita only open for food if you decide to stay there (unless you know the father and son, as I do!) and enough places in A Pobra do Brollón after the long climb through Castroncelos. But that’s for my next trip.

Just a couple of things: I didn’t stop in all these bars (I promise!), and you need to check opening hours for some of them, especially on Sundays and Mondays.

A lot of the information in this long post is available in other threads, but I hope it’s of help.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hotel Restaurante Las Vegas has re-opened,
I don’t have time to digest all of this now, but just saw this. Is it both the hotel and the restaurant that have reopened? I’m assuming the retiring owners were able to find a buyer? GREAT news. I stayed there once and thought it was very comfortable. But it does mean that I wouldn’t get a meal in Aroza, so it’s a tough choice! (I very much dislike eating before I’ve showered and washed my clothes).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don’t have time to digest all of this now, but just saw this. Is it both the hotel and the restaurant that have reopened? I’m assuming the retiring owners were able to find a buyer? GREAT news. I stayed there once and thought it was very comfortable. But it does mean that I wouldn’t get a meal in Aroza, so it’s a tough choice! (I very much dislike eating before I’ve showered and washed my clothes).
I didn't have time to go in and ask, as my train back to Ponferrada was leaving a few minutes later, but the bar was full. However, from what I can gather, the hotel IS open. I understand what you mean about choosing between a meal in Casa Aroza and a shower/clothes wash in San Clodio.

The Hostal Quiper, as I said, is being renovated and is better than many 3-star hotels. I stayed there last Friday, and they haven't increased the prices. They'll do the washing for you as well!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
All very useful!
In Toral de Merayo the Coviran supermarket just before the bridge is open for those who intend to spend the night in the Albergue in Villavieja
Very good to know. That means there are that many fewer kms to lug stuff on your back.

Marisol is an angel. I'm sorry their bar is closed in Borrenes but good to know the B&B is open still.

but Las Médulas can be a bit of a ghost town off season or midweek.
I'll say. More than a bit.
Word to the wise: do not go there on a Tuesday, and expect much to be open, even in summertime.

new Boutique Hotel
Manuel is not worried about competition!
So glad there's an option. In the bar, things are nice enough but Manuel's accommodation was in my experience (2019) just this side of disgusting - so he could use some competition. I hope it's improved.

All very useful!
That was my intention!
Very good to know. That means there are that many fewer kms to lug stuff on your back.
You can also buy some things in Bar Estanco Inés in Santalla.
Marisol is an angel.
So is her brother, Saturno. Marisol has a bit of a problem with sciatica and needs to go into Ponferrada for physiotherapy a couple of times a week.

I'm sorry their bar is closed in Borrenes but good to know the B&B is open still.
The old bar is still up for sale, but Saturno will almost certainly be in the bar/restaurant of the hotel. If you want a meal you need to let them know beforehand.
I'll say. More than a bit.
Word to the wise: do not go there on a Tuesday, and expect much to be open, even in summertime.
Ghost town outside the summer and weekends!
So glad there's an option. In the bar, things are nice enough but Manuel's accommodation was in my experience (2019) just this side of disgusting - so he could use some competition. I hope it's improved.
I've never stayed there, but I've heard from plenty of people and they all say that it's not particularly clean or comfortable.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I've never stayed there, but I've heard from plenty of people and they all say that it's not particularly clean or comfortable.

The first time I stayed there (2021), it seemed to us, it was a work in progress. Still, we had a memorable stay and enjoyed Manuel's hospitality. Last October, that progress seems to have gone backwards, if anything. A shame, because he's a good guy and he does care about pilgrims.

Haha. That's polite. It reminded me of cheap accommodation in India.

Probably not a bad description! From a builders' perspective, overwhelming, it would be hard to know where to begin...

Last edited:
I have heard so many raves from pilgrims about Manuel that I have decided I must have caught him on a bad day. Let’s not forget about what is always described as his cheap and very reliable bag transport up and down the route. Maybe he’s spreading himself too thin.

For anyone going to Médulas on a Tuesday, I know that the Complejo Rural Agoga is open on Tuesdays. I’ve stayed there several times and the people are extremely nice. They will leave you out breakfast if you have an early start planned. It has a nice restaurant, too. It gets a lot of tour bus lunches in the summer, so it’s best to go late, and I was surprised that the food was good. It’s at the end of the village on the way out of town on the Camino, so maybe it has escaped people’s attention.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Bar Bom Vita, opposite the municipal swimming-pool
Which is also where you pick up the keys if you need to sleep in the sports hall, in case there is no place to stay in town (but this was a few years ago). I called the Ayuntamiento, who called the bar, and so I could stay for the night. Yes: both Casa Rosa and Torre were full that time and no other place available.
In Sobradelo the Centro Social Pontenova is still open, but Lili has left
Was she Nice Tattooed Girl? Very chatty? Didn't know she had left. I wonder if the new owners could ever be as radiant as her!
an enterprising lady has set up something in the small village of Os Alvaredos, offering snacks and drinks.
Talking about enterprising ladies: also in Bendilló. Although it could have been a Summer-bar-thing. I got hauled in by this couple when I walked by in Bendilló last July - into their living room/kitchen, stepping right into their house where I had coffee and a home made cheesecake straight out the oven. So not a regular bar, but I had a nice break and chatted for a while with them, at their kitchen table! The business shows up on Google Maps, at least that is what I think I visited.
In San Clodio the Hotel Restaurante Las Vegas has re-opened,
I stayed there already in July, so I was surprised to read recent threads on this Forum where people were amazed they were open, like it happened recently?? Not a criticism, I just thought it obvious they were open...

Which is also where you pick up the keys if you need to sleep in the sports hall, in case there is no place to stay in town (but this was a few years ago). I called the Ayuntamiento, who called the bar, and so I could stay for the night. Yes: both Casa Rosa and Torre were full that time and no other place available.
Talking of accommodation, I'm lucky enough to have friends in Puente de Domingo Flórez, so if I end up there I have a place to stay for the night. La Torre is a bit too expensive in my opinion. Casa Rosa is lovely, but the last time I stayed there I had three ladies from Castellón for company and they were a real pain in the neck. Chatting away until very late, and they then got up around 5 o'clock and spent two hours getting ready!

Was she Nice Tattooed Girl? Very chatty? Didn't know she had left. I wonder if the new owners could ever be as radiant as her!
I've always received a really friendly welcome from her, but in the photos I've got with her I don't see any signs of a tatoo! The new girl is also friendly, but sadly they no longer serve the excellent menús del día.

Talking about enterprising ladies: also in Bendilló. Although it could have been a Summer-bar-thing. I got hauled in by this couple when I walked by in Bendilló last July - into their living room/kitchen, stepping right into their house where I had coffee and a home made cheesecake straight out the oven. So not a regular bar, but I had a nice break and chatted for a while with them, at their kitchen table! The business shows up on Google Maps, at least that is what I think I visited.
On Google maps there's a place called 'Caminante de Ralf', but it has varied reviews. To be honest, Bendilló is a perfect place to stop after the walk up from the Molino de Aceite down near the river. I normally have a break outside the Santa María church, before the long descent down to the road and O Soldón.
I stayed there already in July, so I was surprised to read recent threads on this Forum where people were amazed they were open, like it happened recently?? Not a criticism, I just thought it obvious they were open...
It was definitely closed the last couple of times I was in Quiroga and San Clodio, so it was nice to see it open a couple of weeks ago.

Talking about enterprising ladies: also in Bendilló. Although it could have been a Summer-bar-thing. I got hauled in by this couple when I walked by in Bendilló last July - into their living room/kitchen, stepping right into their house where I had coffee and a home made cheesecake straight out the oven.
By any chance Bad Pilgrim., was your stop (cheesecake and coffee) ….. the same place we stopped in Bendillo in October last year. ? Her name ‘Ana’ - she is seated on the left in the pic. We are the 2
at the end partaking of food and drink. A
Local man sitting opposite.

Ana told us that the home was her mom’s place and she travels up from Madrid. She indicated that if she was home - she would welcome pilgrims. Note: It’s not donativo though. Ana has her prices for the drink ., cake or whatever you’ve eaten. It was great to find a place to eat anywhere on the Invierno last October. So many places had signs up…
Closed for vacaciones 😎 ….

The list given by @Charrito is invaluable.
Thanks for taking the time ….

Attachments

• IMG_9933.jpeg
    IMG_9933.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9934.jpeg
    IMG_9934.jpeg
    346.9 KB · Views: 12
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
By any chance Bad Pilgrim., was your stop (cheesecake and coffee) ….. the same place we stopped in Bendillo in October last year. ? Her name ‘Ana’ - she is seated on the left in the pic. We are the 2

Ana told us that the home was her mom’s place and she travels up from Madrid. She indicated that if she was home - she would welcome pilgrims. Note: It’s not donativo though. Ana has her prices for the drink ., cake or whatever you’ve eaten. It was great to find a place to eat anywhere on the Invierno last October. So many places had signs up…

No signs of anything when I wandered through Bendilló a couple of weeks ago. It was pretty early in the morning, though, but - as you say - they only open if they are up from Madrid.

One of these years I will find the chiringuito down in O Soldón open! I have walked the Invierno (or at least most of the stages) around a dozen times, but NEVER in summer, when the beach bar is apparently open.

Yes, yes and yes! That is her, and the guy was there as well; I thought it was her husband but I didn't inquire. I suppose she told me the same things... But I forgot what we talked about! 😀

No signs of anything when I wandered through Bendilló a couple of weeks ago. It was pretty early in the morning, though, but - as you say - they only open if they are up from Madrid.

One of these years I will find the chiringuito down in O Soldón open! I have walked the Invierno (or at least most of the stages) around a dozen times, but NEVER in summer, when the beach bar is apparently open.
I only walked in summer, and I have never found it open either! Deserted! Any day of the week; same. I think it could be the time of the day; which should be roughly the same each time I pass? Otherwise I have no idea why it is always closed, if it is supposed to be open...

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
@Charrito, do you have any restaurant recommendations for Monforte? I know Quiroga was your cutoff, but I bet you’ve got some ideas.
Of course! In the pedestrian street (Rúa Cardenal Rodrigo de Castro) you have Restaurante el Polar. Just further down the street you have Restaurante Cardenal. They have a beautiful restaurant (fantastic menú del día) in the Hotel Cardenal in the next street down (rua das Hortas), with great views overlooking the river.

In front of Los Escolapios you have no end of bars serving enormous and ridiculously cheap tapitas.

For a splurge, head off up to the Parador and have an expensive but excellent meal just down from the Parador at the Restaurante O Grelo!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.
We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...
Peñalba de Santiago with its 10C untouched Mozarabic church and its traditional stone houses with slate roofs and dark wooden balconies is a real gem (and don’t forget the hermit cave of San...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back